• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

National Pilgrimage

papajohn

I have read that following the Spanish Civil War, the church promoted a national pilgrimage to Compostela as a way of reunifying the spanish people. This pilgrimage was postponed by WWII and finally took place in 1949. Does anybody have information on this? And does it relate to the Caminos?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
there was a major pilgrimage of thousands of young people along the Camino Frances in 1948, run by the youth wing of Acción Católica - is that the one you're referring to?

1949 was when Fernando Quiroga Palacios was appointed archbishop (later cardinal) - a keen promoter of pilgrimage to Santiago. Santiago played an important role in the Franco regime's nacionalcatolicismo, for example reviving the Ofrenda Nacional in the cathedral.

Hi papajohn, following is an e-mail I just got from a Spanish friend. Let me know if u need translation.

Best,

xm 8)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Fue una peregrinación de concentración en Compostela aunque algunos hicieran tramos finales del Camino andando. Creo que el SEU, sindicato Universitario Español, si fue peregrinando desde Roncesvalles para unirse al acontecimiento.

Most read last week in this forum