• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

National Pilgrimage

papajohn

I have read that following the Spanish Civil War, the church promoted a national pilgrimage to Compostela as a way of reunifying the spanish people. This pilgrimage was postponed by WWII and finally took place in 1949. Does anybody have information on this? And does it relate to the Caminos?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
there was a major pilgrimage of thousands of young people along the Camino Frances in 1948, run by the youth wing of Acción Católica - is that the one you're referring to?

1949 was when Fernando Quiroga Palacios was appointed archbishop (later cardinal) - a keen promoter of pilgrimage to Santiago. Santiago played an important role in the Franco regime's nacionalcatolicismo, for example reviving the Ofrenda Nacional in the cathedral.

Hi papajohn, following is an e-mail I just got from a Spanish friend. Let me know if u need translation.

Sigo dándole vueltas al asunto.

En 1948 hubo una gran peregrinación (concentración en Compostela) de
las Juventudes de Acción Católica, tuvo cierto caracter internacional
y fue pospuesta hasta entonces por la segunda guerra Mundial.

Pero hay un detalle, generalizando la España Republicana era
anticlerical por esencia, había depuesto a Santiago como patrón, al
principio del Alzamiento Nacional Franco restableció el culto al
Apóstol e incluso lo hizo matarojos. Es muy raro una reconciliación
por medio de la religión entre las dos Españas.

Best,

xm 8)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Fue una peregrinación de concentración en Compostela aunque algunos hicieran tramos finales del Camino andando. Creo que el SEU, sindicato Universitario Español, si fue peregrinando desde Roncesvalles para unirse al acontecimiento.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Can someone please describe the difference between the Wise Pilgrim print edition, the kindle edition, and the app for the Camino Primitivo? I mean up-to-date info, ease of use, etc. If I got the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back