• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

National passport in card form

Loman

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning at least a weeks worth from St Jean in April or Sept (2017)
When renewing my Irish passport recently I requested the card version in addition to the booklet version. The passport card would obviously be much more convenient to carry on Camino, being smaller, lighter, easier to conceal and water (sweat) proof. It is of equal diplomatic value and our Foreign Affairs department confirm that it is accepted for entry into Spain as in all EU and EEA countries . However, I wonder if it is understood and accepted on the Camino.

Has anybody used one? I would be interested to hear their experience.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When renewing my Irish passport recently I requested the card version in addition to the booklet version. The passport card would obviously be much more convenient to carry on Camino, being smaller, lighter, easier to conceal and water (sweat) proof. It is of equal diplomatic value and our Foreign Affairs department confirm that it is accepted for entry into Spain as in all EU and EEA countries . However, I wonder if it is understood and accepted on the Camino.

Yes....I have used my passport card extensively on the Camino and whilst travelling throughout Europe. You will have no issues.

Yes....I have used my passport card extensively on the Camino and whilst travelling throughout Europe. You will have no issues.
I should have added that when booking flights with Aer Lingus I have to use the regular passport. For some odd reason there online check-in doesn't accept the passport card. Ryanair is no problem.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes I have one too and no issues in ‘Camino land’ 100% effective across Spain/France/Portugal

I did have an issue on a train crossing Bulgaria to Romania where they wouldn’t accept it. No idea why. It’s EU to EU. It was an old school border crossing where the guard took the passports away for 30 mins on block and then returned them. I had my passport book on me anyway so didn’t make a fuss.

I think passport cards are rare even in EU and I think most people assume that are just IDs which seem to do same job!

Strange that my passport card has a diff number to passport book!

I am pretty sure I have used my passport card wjen checking in for EU to EU flights. I think it’s my default. .

Last edited:
Use mine all the time at Immigration (e-passport machines don't recognise them, annoyingly) and when checking in to accommodation. For those who haven't travelled to Spain, it is compulsory to show a form of ID when checking into any form of overnight accommodation. In theory, this is transmitted to the Guardia Civil, but I very much doubt if anyone even bothers to look at it. A similar system, not requiring a form of ID, used to exist in France many years ago but was scrapped when it was discovered that Charles de Gaulle was frequently staying in the same two star hotel as Mickey Mouse and Johnny Halliday.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Mmmh … in Germany we are using passport and id-card for identification.
The passport comes in a small booklet with several blank pages.
The id-card looks like a mini-passport with all the necessary personal data, but has no booklet for e.g. visa or stamps.

My id-card is valid for identification or border-crossings in all Schengen- and EU-countries and a few non-EU countries like e.g. Norway.

I‘m using my passport only in case of travelling beyond europe.

Possibly the irish government has introduced an id-card.

Ultreya

Hello Loman,
I have used mine on several Caminos in Spain and Portugal. I had to show the booklet form when returning to Scotland. One hostel on Rota Vicentina in Portugal in March this year wanted full passport, but that was the exception.
Buen Camino
Ena

I don't know if you will find this helpful, BUT... I made a color copy of the info page of my US passport and laminated it. My passport stayed safely secured, and I was able to use that laminated card to check in everywhere along the Camino and in the hotel in Madrid afterwards.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Mmmh … in Germany we are using passport and id-card for identification.
The passport comes in a small booklet with several blank pages.
The id-card looks like a mini-passport with all the necessary personal data, but has no booklet for e.g. visa or stamps.

My id-card is valid for identification or border-crossings in all Schengen- and EU-countries and a few non-EU countries like e.g. Norway.

I‘m using my passport only in case of travelling beyond europe.

Ultreya
Thanks Ultreya,

According to the official website of our Dept Foreign Affairs, the card is valid for travel within EU and EEA. It does not claim to be a full passport. So my original post was wrong in that respect.

There has been strong opposition to the introduction of a universal ID card in Ireland (on personal privacy and data security grounds). So I am certain it is not merely an ID card.

I am pleased to hear that it is so widely accepted and not only at national borders.

I don’t want to carry the passport booklet if I can avoid it. The card is just so much better for our purposes- as long as you don’t encounter a vital service that doesn't yet understand it’s meaning.

Thanks Ultreya,

According to the official website of our Dept Foreign Affairs, the card is valid for travel within EU and EEA. It does not claim to be a full passport. So my original post was wrong in that respect.

There has been strong opposition to the introduction of a universal ID card in Ireland (on personal privacy and data security grounds). So I am certain it is not merely an ID card.

I am pleased to hear that it is so widely accepted and not only at national borders.

I don’t want to carry the passport booklet if I can avoid it. The card is just so much better for our purposes- as long as you don’t encounter a vital service that doesn't yet understand it’s meaning.
I have the card. It’s works 100%. I don’t carry the book with me in Spain Portugal and France. It saves a load of hassle!

I guess only caveat is that you can’t use it to fly to UK of for any unforeseen reason you had to fly back via there!!

Last edited:

All the time! No problem at all.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Ultreya,

It is merely an ID card but not Irish. It is in fact an EU id card.

I guess only caveat is that you can’t use it to fly to UK of for any unforeseen reason you had to fly back via there!!
I recently arrived at Gatwick, from Spain, with just my Irish passport card (it says on it that it's a pasport, so that's good enough for me) and was waved through immigration.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I recently arrived at Gatwick, from Spain, with just my Irish passport card (it says on it that it's a pasport, so that's good enough for me) and was waved through immigration.
That’s interesting!!’ I assumed it wouldn’t be valid in UK. I know its a passport card but I assume UK would just see it as just ID! I should have checked!

So you didn’t use egate you went to a desk?

Thank you for that! Its really useful!

Last edited:
You don't need a passport to travel between the UK and Ireland. When my sister came for my husband's funeral she was able to use her driving licence as ID with AER Lingus. The common travel area predates the EU by some decades.

You don't need a passport to travel between the UK and Ireland. When my sister came for my husband's funeral she was able to use her driving licence as ID with AER Lingus. The common travel area predates the EU by some decades.
Absolutely true, So if you travel on Aer Lingus (which will accept at photo DL for identity) you do not need a passport with you. Ryanair though will ONLY accept a passport as ID for travel though.

And flying into UK from Ireland to (say) Liverpool you do not pass (wo)manned border control. So you can (legally) enter without a passport. Returning back to Dublin from (say) Liverpool, you DO pass border control in Ireland. I have never summoned up the courage to say I have not got a passport with me at this point - and they would know if you came in on Ryanair that you must have had.

I recently flew AerLingus from Liverpool into Dublin, when I could have travelled without a passport. I still passed through immigration though and had to show the passport. AerLingus flights come into a different terminal in Dublin.

Generally if you travel by ferry between Ireland and UK there was never a check of passports. And clearly the law is that Irish and UK nationals do NOT need a passport to travel to one another's countries.

The first time I travelled by boat to Ireland from UK after formal Brexit I was asked my nationality at the booth. But I didn't show passport.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Absolutely true, So if you travel on Aer Lingus (which will accept at photo DL for identity) you do not need a passport with you. Ryanair though will ONLY accept a passport as ID for travel though.

And flying into UK from Ireland to (say) Liverpool you do not pass (wo)manned border control. So you can (legally) enter without a passport. Returning back to Dublin from (say) Liverpool, you DO pass border control in Ireland. I have never summoned up the courage to say I have not got a passport with me at this point - and they would know if you came in on Ryanair that you must have had.

I recently flew AerLingus from Liverpool into Dublin, when I could have travelled without a passport. I still passed through immigration though and had to show the passport.

Generally if you travel by ferry between Ireland and UK there was never a check of passports. And clearly the law is that Irish and UK nationals do NOT need a passport to travel to one another's countries.

The first time I travelled by boat to Ireland from UK after formal Brexit I was asked my nationality at the booth. But I didn't show passport.
Yes I know that. That’s totally different to the discussion here. The thing that I was pleasantly suprised about was that you can use the Irish passport card to leave or enter UK to /from EU. I.e Spain to UK. I had incorrectly assumed you couldn’t!

This is the kind of thread I tend to shy away from, where there is a lot of personal experience and history, and rather less fact.:D But like others I have found the true facts hard to come by, and I will contribute my experience as well, as I am interested in other's experience.

I got my first Irish Passport Card almost the day they came out. You can order them directly off your phone and take the photo on your phone. I was living in Ireland at the time. It is separate from the book passport, with a completely different number. You require to have a book passport to get one and its validity is 5 years or the validity of your book passport whichever is shorter.

I used it many, many, many times to travel to Europe (which then included UK). At the very beginning a few people said they could not recognise it including Easyjet and Port Control at Dover, but I stood firm. I never brought my passport with me on these travels - that seems to me a huge advantage. If you lose your passport card, it doesn't invalidate your book passport and vice versa, so at least within Europe you have a 'spare' safely at home.

I was getting the plane back from Brinidisi to UK last autumn, having walked in Italy for a month or so. I had come in on my passport card with no problem. As I was leaving the officer raised a query and told me it was not valid for my return to UK from the EU. Brindisi is a small, friendly, provincial airport and I asked him was he sure. He said he thought he was sure! He asked another officer who told him it was alright. I realised only then that I myself was not at all sure. When UK was in Europe it clearly was OK. Is it still?
Yes I know that. That’s totally different t the discussion here. The thing that I was pleasantly suprised about was that you can use the Irish passport card to leave or enter UK to /from EU. Ie. Spain to UK.
Can you show me where that is written? I am not in any way doubting what you say, and I think it should be true.

When I walked the Via Egnatia on from Brindisi to Thessaloniki I was surprised to find, before I went, that I COULD use the passport card for entrance to Albania, and I did, but on that occasion I had to bring my passport as well as North Macedonia does not accept it. The information for Albania is documented here. And yes I know it says that a passport is 'preferable' but I used the card. I didn't come through Tirana airport though, I came through the port of Dürres.

Last edited:
This is the kind of thread I tend to shy away from, where there is a lot of personal experience and history, and rather less fact.:D But like others I have found the true facts hard to come by, and I will contribute my experience as well, as I am interested in other's experience.

I got my first Irish Passport Card almost the day they came out. You can order them directly off your phone and take the photo on your phone. I was living in Ireland at the time. It is separate from the book passport, with a completely different number. You require to have a book passport to get one and its validity is 5 years of the validity of your book passport whichever is shorter.

I used it many, many, many times to travel to Europe (which then included UK). At the very beginning a few people said they could not recognise it including Easyjet and Port Control at Dover, but I stood firm. I never brought my passport with me on these travels - that seems to me a huge advantage. If you lose your passport card, it doesn't invalidate your book passport and vice versa, so at least within Europe you have a 'spare' safely at home.

I was getting the plane back from Brinidisi to UK last autumn, having walked in Italy for a month or so. I had come in on my passport card with no problem. As I was leaving the officer raised a query and told me it was not valid for my return to UK from the EU. Brindisi is a small, friendly, provincial airport and I asked him was he sure. He said he thought he was sure! He asked another officer who told him it was alright. I realised only then that I myself was not at all sure. When UK was in Europe it clearly was OK. Is it still?

Can you show me where that is written? I am not in any way doubting what you say, and I think it should be true.

When I walked the Via Egnatia on from Brindisi to Thessaloniki I was surprised to find, before I went, that I COULD use the passport card for entrance to Albania, and I did, but on that occasion I had to bring my passport as well as North Macedonia does not accept it. The information for Albania is documented here. And yes I know it says that a passport is 'preferable' but I used the card. I didn't come through Tirana airport though, I came through the port of Dürres.
Does this do it. I am in a smokey bar so head in a spin! So I am happy they the card works throughout the EU but I was stupid to think UK would not take it. Very surprised re Albania!

I am flying into LHR from Germany on either Monday or Wednesday so will try and use it in Germany and UK and report back.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Does this do it. I am in a smokey bar so head in a spin! So I am happy they the card works throughout the EU but I was stupid to not think UK would not take it.

I am flying into LHR from
Germany on either Monday or Wednesday so will try and use it in Germany and Uk and report back.
Thanks!!

The big attraction for me when I first got it, and I was living in Ireland, was that for EU travel it was a spare and I could leave the other one at home.

Now that I am living in UK, even though what you have sent above from DFA is definitive, I do not feel as secure not taking a passport along as well - which sort of defeats the object for me.

I can imagine getting the last Ryanair from somewhere delayed till after midnight and not having the linguistic capability to argue my point with a lone officer who was uncertain........ :eek:

The fact that the card cannot be used for e-booths at entry is potentially a problem in high summer in busier UK airports.

But to return (against the run of play) to the OPs question - yes it is very useful indeed. :D🤣

Last edited:
Thanks!!

The big attraction for me when I first got it, and I was living in Ireland, was that for EU travel it was a spare and I could leave the other one at home.

Now that I am living in UK, even though what you have sent above from DFA is definitive, I do not feel as secure not taking a passport along as well - which sort of defeats the object for me.

I can imagine getting the last Ryanair from somewhere delayed till after midnights and not having the linguistic capability to argue my point with a lone officer who was uncertain........ :eek:

The fact that the card cannot be used for e-booths at entry is potentially a problem in high summer in busier UK airports.

But to return (against the run of play) to the OPs question - yes it is very useful indeed. :D🤣
Absolutely 100% with you. I won’t be carrying the card only as you say who knows. If you saw my previous note the immigration folks who boarded the train on the Bulgarian/Romania border wouldn’t accept it! Currently in Germany on the move a lot and staying in cheap accommodation and I carry my passport book in my pocket every day!

I will try it out next week and it will be major airport, DUS or MUC ex Germany and LHR in UK so see what happens!

Yes the egate thing is annoying as they work brilliantly at LHR though the desk queue tends to be quick.

Lots of turnover re immigration official so could get anyone!

Last edited:
I have a US passport card. When I renewed my passport I paid a bit extra for the card. In the US we will soon have to have what they are calling Real ID for domestic flights. This can be in the form of a Real ID compliant driver's license (at an extra cost), a standard passport, a passport card, or a Real ID compliant state ID card. I didn't want to have to get a new driver's license right away, so it made sense for me to buy the passport card.

The passport card is not accepted for international travel though, so I do have to bring my passport book with me to the Camino. I had thought that I might use my passport card when checking in at albergues and hotels, but since I keep my passport with me at all times in my crossbody bag it has been just as easy to pull it out (it's in a pouch with my credential), and there's no chance that a hospitalero will not accept it, as could happen with a passport card from the US.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@timr, are you looking for confirmation by the UK government that an Irish passport card is a valid travel document for crossing the UK border in those cases where an Irish citizen is obliged to show such a document? It's difficult to find their actual law but they have made statements on their official website .gov.uk.

For example here:
Visiting the UK as an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen: Irish citizens can continue to use a passport card to travel to the UK.

Or here:
You can enter the UK with one of the following identity documents:
  • a passport
  • an Irish passport card
  • a national identity card issued by an EU country, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, if you’re eligible to use one
Note that there is no restriction placed on holders of Irish passport cards while there are restrictions placed on holders of national identity cards issued by EU countries - national identity cards can only be used by EU nationals who have settlement status in the UK, the rest of us must now (post Brexit) use a passport.​

Coming back to the original question:

People have already confirmed that they had no issues when using their Irish passport card for the obligatory registration in hotels and albergues in Spain.

Travel document, national ID card issued by an EU country, and official document for identification are three different things.

The libro-registro law in Spain says that Spaniards can use their DNI, their passport or their driving licence. Foreigners must use their passport, their carta o documento de identidad (if they are EU nationals), and foreigners living in Spain can use their Spanish residence permit.

The Spanish law is unambiguous for non-EU nationals such as peregrin@s from the USA, CAN, AUS or NZ: Passport.

However, it is not defined what a carta o documento de identidad for EU nationals is; at least I can't see a definition in the law.

I have a national ID card issued by my EU country of nationality and a confirmation of residency card issued by my EU country of residence. They look nearly identical but, legally, the first one is a travel document recognised as such by a number of countries, for example all the non-EU countries around the Mediterranean, while the second one is not a travel document but it is however a document of identification in the EU country where I live and I have even used it as such in hotels and albergues in Spain without a problem.

Staff in albergues and hotels always ask for your "pasaporte" but a passport is not necessarily what they need to see and I leave my EU passport at home when I travel to Spain - they need to see something official with a number on it and your personal details that they can enter into their computer.

Last edited:
Travel document, national ID card issued by an EU country, and official document for identification are three different things.
Examples:
  • The Irish passport card is a valid travel document to enter Spain, and any other Schengen country, and the UK (coming from any country). It is carta o documento de identidad for registering as a traveller in a hotel or albergue in Spain.

• My EU passport is a valid travel document to enter the UK and Morocco and a carta o documento de identidad for registration in Spain.

• My EU national ID card is not a valid travel document to enter the UK. It is a valid travel document to enter Morocco and a carta o documento de identidad for registration in Spain.

• The US passport card is not a valid travel document to fly to Spain. It is not valid for registration in hotels and albergues in Spain. Neither is a laminated copy of a page of a US passport.
    This does not exclude that one or the other hotel staff or albergue volunteer will accept it. ☺️

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@Camineiro, as already mentioned by others, the Irish "passport card" is a travel document. It does not serve for identification purposes in Ireland. This may come as a surprise to people like you and me who would not want to miss our national ID cards and think that they are a great idea - certainly better than say using your electricity bills for identification purposes - but that's the way it is. National ID cards, especially when they are obligatory and not voluntary, can be a thorny topic.

Just for info. Not for further discussion. :cool:

What about fingerprints. US has mine and so has Tanzania. I hear the EU intends to have the same checks at some point so why need a passport at all? Just give them your fingers.

@timr, are you looking for confirmation by the UK government that an Irish passport card is a valid travel document for crossing the UK border in those cases where an Irish citizen is obliged to show such a document? It's difficult to find their actual law but they have made statements on their official website .gov.uk.

For example here:
Visiting the UK as an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen: Irish citizens can continue to use a passport card to travel to the UK.

Or here:
You can enter the UK with one of the following identity documents:
  • a passport
  • an Irish passport card
  • a national identity card issued by an EU country, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, if you’re eligible to use one
Note that there is no restriction placed on holders of Irish passport cards while there are restrictions placed on holders of national identity cards issued by EU countries - national identity cards can only be used by EU nationals who have settlement status in the UK, the rest of us must now (post Brexit) use a passport.​
@Kathar1na Thanks so much - that is exactly what I wanted. Good to have the gov.uk complement to what the DFA says in Ireland.

So the first guy I met in Brindisi was incorrect, but his friend did correctly correct him!

I might revert to using the (really useful) passport card then for all European travel, as I am mostly returning these days to UK, though I really don't want to have to be arguing my case at borders! :eek:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What about fingerprints. US has mine and so has Tanzania. I hear the EU intends to have the same checks at some point so why need a passport at all? Just give them your fingers.
😂 but wrong thread. 😉

If you travel with a British passport they’ll take your fingerprints in 2024 or later and store them for five years. But we who travel with an Irish passport card or an ID card issued by an EU country won‘t have to give them our fingers. We are exempt.

Alas, we are not all equal when we stand at an external Schengen/EU border and want to get in …

And also, more seriously, but that is exactly the point: The laws on the protection of personal data do not allow to make a connection between the EU wide databases that are fed at the external border with your personal data and the Spanish database that is fed at hotels and albergues with your personal data. Plus the personal data collected in both scenarios are not the same.

I know that you made a fun remark. But it is a serious issue and citizens ought to be well informed and clear about this subject matter. Know your rights and know your obligations.

@Kathar1na Thanks so much - that is exactly what I wanted. Good to have the gov.uk complement to what the DFA says in Ireland.

So the first guy I met in Brindisi was incorrect, but his friend did correctly correct him!

I might revert to using the (really useful) passport card then for all European travel, as I am mostly returning these days to UK, though I really don't want to have to be arguing my case at borders! :eek:
Firstly thank you to you both for an excellent exchange of information, both real world and factual. I’ve learnt something important on the use of the Irish card passport.

That said I am not sure I am brave enough to venture out sans passport book yet! You never know what is going to happen. or where you may end up.

Memory is sketchy but a few years back (poss 2020), caught a bus from Split to Dubrovnik. Unbeknown to me in those days the bus had to cross into and out of Bosnia (non-EU) for a short period of time as that was the way the road went. I can’t remember what I showed, whether it was stamped or not!!! It was a ‘proper border’ . Thankfully a bridge has now opened to prevent the need to cross into Bosnia!

I am trying to make sense of what I am reading ;).

In the case of @timr's border guard in Brindisi, the official probably just wanted to warn him that @timr might have problems upon arrival in the UK (erroneously as it turned out and he got corrected by a colleague), presumably in the wake of post-Brexit rules that now require passports and not ID cards for travel to the UK. A border official would not have stopped him from leaving Italy.

It was a confusing time as we know - a few British travellers got sent back home upon arrival in Spain (Spanish border official error), a few others were denied boarding and were not allowed to depart from the UK for Spain (UK airport/airline staff error). I guess all this has been sorted out by now.

I am surprised about your issue on a train crossing Bulgaria/Romania where they wouldn’t accept an Irish passport card. Of course, these countries are far away from Ireland and from Spain ...

The EU maintains a huge database - Prado - which contains information, including photos, of next to every travel and/or ID document on earth. It is meant for both the general public and for EU/Schengen border officials and other officials.

It clearly states that, for crossing into the EU and/or crossing into Schengen, the following conditions apply (btw, note the difference in the title; as someone pointed out already, it says "Passport" on the Irish card, unlike the USA card which says "Passport Card" - see also the photos on Prado ☺️):

For Ireland's passport card:
Title: Pas/Passport/Passeport
Legal status / main purpose: Travel document issued to nationals of IRL - Ireland • ÉIRE_IRELAND
The passport card is available to all Irish citizens who hold a valid Irish passport booklet; it can be used for travel within the EU/EEA, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
For the USA's passport card:
Title: Passport Card
Legal status / main purpose: Travel document issued to nationals of USA - United States • United States of America
USA passport card. Can only be used to enter the United States from Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land or sea border crossing points. It cannot be used for international air travel.

I am surprised about your issue on a train crossing Bulgaria/Romania where they wouldn’t accept an Irish passport card. Of course, these countries are far away from Ireland and from Spain ...

The EU maintains a huge database - Prado - which contains information, including photos, of next to every travel and/or ID document on earth. It is meant for both the general public and for EU/Schengen border officials and other officials.

It clearly states that, for crossing into the EU and/or crossing into Schengen, the following conditions apply (btw, note the difference in the title; as someone pointed out already, it says "Passport" on the Irish card, unlike the USA card which says "Passport Card" - see also the photos on Prado ☺️):

For Ireland's passport card:
Title: Pas/Passport/Passeport
Legal status / main purpose: Travel document issued to nationals of IRL - Ireland • ÉIRE_IRELAND
The passport card is available to all Irish citizens who hold a valid Irish passport booklet; it can be used for travel within the EU/EEA, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
For the USA's passport card:
Title: Passport Card
Legal status / main purpose: Travel document issued to nationals of USA - United States • United States of America
USA passport card. Can only be used to enter the United States from Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land or sea border crossing points. It cannot be used for international air travel.
Yes I was suprised too! Furthermore the official took all the passports away for ‘processing’ so it was all rather bizarre! They were returned about 30 mins later. It was reminiscent of a border crossing in other parts of the world. I offered the card but was told it needed to be a book which I had on me. I didn’t press it, it wasn’t that sort of moment. I am sure they would have assumed it to be an ID card (presumably valid) as English was not spoken and they probably wouldn’t have recognised the nationality not that I guess that’s relevant!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

A lot of Europeans use their DNI card so a card-style passport shouldn´t be a problem.

I had to give mine for my residence permits in 3 different colours but only the index fingers.

I'm very surprised as well, considering I've crossed that border multiple times with just my Portuguese ID card.

Sometimes border agents are not aware of all the documents that exist / are accepted.

I went to Moldova and Turkey using just my Portuguese ID card (both countries allow that; but not all national ID cards are accepted)
Leaving Moldova, the Moldovan border agent looked surprised, and asked me if I had any other form of ID. I said I did not, and that my card was enough; I had entered the country the day before with it. Again, she was surprised, but took my ID and everything went smoothly.

Something similar happened when I returned from Türkiye, entering Romania.
I showed my ID to the Romanian border agent at the airport. He asked me where I was coming from and I said "Türkiye"; he didn't believe me and said "They wouldn't let you in with that ID". I informed him they did, and then showed him the little paper with the stamps from the Turkish authorities. Once again, he was surprised, as he had never seen it, but I entered Romania again with no problem.

Yes I was suprised too! Furthermore the official took all the passports away for ‘processing’ so it was all rather bizarre! They were returned about 30 mins later. It was reminiscent of a border crossing in other parts of the world. I offered the card but was told it needed to be a book which I had on me. I didn’t press it, it wasn’t that sort of moment. I am sure they would have assumed it to be an ID card (presumably valid) as English was not spoken and they probably wouldn’t have recognised the nationality not that I guess that’s relevant!
I've had my passport taken away in Hungary but only for a few minutes while I dealt with the customs official.

I used mine on Camino with no problem. I did have an issue in Bilbao on my way home when the receptionist in the hostel got confused as she had just booked in an Irish couple with books and then I presented the card. If any issues just point out the word passport and they get it. Your biggest problem is getting back into Ireland. The machines at Dublin airport don't recognise them, books only. You have to go thru the channel for non EU. Could only happen in Ireland. First country in EU to introduce them and their own technology doesn't recognise them. Had a problem getting out back in the early days of the card when the airline's technology didn't recognise the number cause it started with a C. You guessed it, it was our national carrier, Aer Lingus. But in little albergues, I had no problems. They are used to national id cards so our passport is not unusual to them

Never had any problems. Most hospitaleros are used to national id cards so have no problems with our cards. Where you will have a problem is getting back into Ireland. The scanners at Dublin airport only recognise books so you have to go thru the manual channel and present it to an immigration official. First country in EU to introduce these passports then they install scanners that can't read them. Could only happen in Ireland. Of course that was 2018 so maybe they have now sorted it out. When I came thru Dublin last year, I produced my book. You know of course the card only valid for 5 years, not the 10 the book is. But it is so handy. How did I manage to answer this twice lol

I have the card. It’s works 100%. I don’t carry the book with me in Spain Portugal and France. It saves a load of hassle!

Mine was accepted at Stansted when I flew back in there after Brexit

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm very surprised as well, considering I've crossed that border multiple times with just my Portuguese ID card.

Sometimes border agents are not aware of all the documents that exist / are accepted.

I went to Moldova and Turkey using just my Portuguese ID card (both countries allow that; but not all national ID cards are accepted)
Leaving Moldova, the Moldovan border agent looked surprised, and asked me if I had any other form of ID. I said I did not, and that my card was enough; I had entered the country the day before with it. Again, she was surprised, but took my ID and everything went smoothly.

Something similar happened when I returned from Türkiye, entering Romania.
I showed my ID to the Romanian border agent at the airport. He asked me where I was coming from and I said "Türkiye"; he didn't believe me and said "They wouldn't let you in with that ID". I informed him they did, and then showed him the little paper with the stamps from the Turkish authorities. Once again, he was surprised, as he had never seen it, but I entered Romania again with no problem.
Indeed. It was just one agent on one day. I didn’t challenge it so all was good. You come across people who are unclear on rules even in positions of authority.

I've been using an Irish passport card in Spain for years. I've never had a problem.

€83,-
I have both a US passport and US passport card. The hotels and albergues took my US passport card in Spain, with no problem. I had them both with me. but it was much easier to pull out the small card everyday.

It is merely an ID card but not Irish. It is in fact an EU id card.
It’s an Irish passport card.
Try entering the US with it

Isn't that exchange getting a bit old?

First of all, there is no such things as an "EU ID card".

Nearly all the countries that belong to the EU and to the EEA (EU plus Switzerland, Island, Lichtenstein and Island) issue ID cards. I recommend Wikipedia - National identity cards in the European Economic Area. The exception are Denmark and Ireland.

These ID cards all look different. Again, I recommend looking at the Wiki article. What they have in common is that they are the size of a credit card. There is no obligatory common EU standard as to what they look like or what it says on them.

In some of these EU+ countries, identity cards are optional. In others they are obligatory. It's up to the citizens of these countries and their democratically elected governments what kind of system they have.

The main purpose of ID cards is that they serve for identification and authentication purposes. In the country where they are issued.

ID cards may be used as travel documents. It depends on whether the country to which you travel recognises your ID card as a valid travel document or not. Again, that's up to each destination country.

Unlike national ID cards, the Irish passport card's main purpose is a travel document. Again, it's up to each destination country whether they recognise it as a valid travel document or not.

Last edited:
The passport card is not accepted for international travel though
Not important for the OP's post but a little bit for Americans. Here is what the US State Department says:

We began issuing U.S. passport cards in 2008 to meet the needs of U.S. citizens who travel from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and Caribbean countries by land or sea. The passport card cannot be used for international air travel and is a cheaper alternative to the passport book.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The German driving licence, introduced in January 1950 and lovingly called "grey rag" that one can see on the first page of Prado is still in use until 2032. It does not get renewed so you have 80 year old drivers with a driving licence that has a photo of them as 18 year olds. Not ideal for identification purposes. :cool:

Oh, I see 😂. I did not understand your comment at first. I now see that they added some really old driving licences to the database and labelled them as "Latest documents" on the first page.
Yes a great collection of UK driving licences. Sadly not the ancient “British Visitor’s Passport” which was available from the post office, filled in by hand and was a tri-fold piece of cardboard with a photo glued on!😉

Last edited:
Yes a great collection of UK driving licences. Sadly not the ancient “British Visitor’s Passport” which was available from the post office, filed in by hand and was a tri-fold piece of cardboard with a photo glued on!😉
Ah remember those well. Seemed to be no control over them. Everyone I know got a least a couple in case they got errrr….’too carried away’ in Ibiza or Tenerife!

So you didn’t use egate you went to a desk?
This thread appears to have acquired a life of its own!

Yes, I had to speak to an immigration officer and show him my Irish passport card. I did actually have the passport book with me when I left the UK, but at the end of my trip I had absentmindedly put it in my rucksack which I then checked in at Santiago de Compostela. As you probably know, at Gatwick you have to go through immigration before you get to baggage reclaim!.

I had purposely taken my passport book with me so as to be able to use the e gates on my return. D'oh!

I first used the passport card at Toulouse where the nice French police lady looked a bit bemused until she discovered that it was machine-readable. The only time I had a problem was while boarding a Ryanair flight at Bergamo where the staff member who was checking passengers had obviously never seen one before. I am sure I could have persuaded her to accept it but I was just about the last person to board so I produced my passport book and that kept her happy.

Yes, I had to speak to an immigration officer and show him my Irish passport card. I did actually have the passport book with me when I left the UK, but at the end of my trip I had absentmindedly put it in my rucksack which I then checked in at Santiago de Compostela. As you probably know, at Gatwick you have to go through immigration before you get to baggage reclaim!.

I had purposely taken my passport book with me so as to be able to use the e gates on my return. D'oh!

I first used the passport card at Toulouse where the nice French police lady looked a bit bemused until she discovered that it was machine-readable. The only time I had a problem was while boarding a Ryanair flight at Bergamo where the staff member who was checking passengers had obviously never seen one before. I am sure I could have persuaded her to accept it but I was just about the last person to board so I produced my passport book and that kept her happy.
Yes, the thing which will always catch us out is the unexpected! The person (of good will) who has never seen one before......:eek:

And it is a huge pity they cannot be used in the public e-immigration booths as it is clear that they are in fact machine readable at the desk.

I have a US passport card. When I renewed my passport I paid a bit extra for the card. In the US we will soon have to have what they are calling Real ID for domestic flights. This can be in the form of a Real ID compliant driver's license (at an extra cost), a standard passport, a passport card, or a Real ID compliant state ID card. I didn't want to have to get a new driver's license right away, so it made sense for me to buy the passport card.

The passport card is not accepted for international travel though, so I do have to bring my passport book with me to the Camino. I had thought that I might use my passport card when checking in at albergues and hotels, but since I keep my passport with me at all times in my crossbody bag it has been just as easy to pull it out (it's in a pouch with my credential), and there's no chance that a hospitalero will not accept it, as could happen with a passport card from the US.
Unfortunately, Pennsylvania has gone to a Real ID driver’s license. As far as I am concerned it is a way for states to ID non citizens so I refuse to get one!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

It has, hasn’t it (life of its own) On the upside I slept through an EU border crossing on a bus a couple of hours back… Germany to Poland. No one woke me up. Guess no need to!

Anyway hope to use the Irish Passport Card when I fly back to UK next week if the queue at desk isn’t too long!

Unfortunately, Pennsylvania has gone to a Real ID driver’s license. As far as I am concerned it is a way for states to ID non citizens so I refuse to get one!
[Note: At some point in 2025 you will need certain approved documentation in the US to enter a nuclear power plant, certain federal facilities or to board domestic flights. Passport books and cards, military IDs and other documents may allow you to do these things. The feds passed on some of the documentation process to the states who issue IDs anyway and if requirements are met then the state ID is certified as Real ID approved and allows you access also. ]

US citizens do not have to get Real ID drivers licenses or identification cards; having one of these is for the convenience of the holder. Non-citizens can also get Real ID state drivers licenses and/or state identification cards. Many states will issue driver licenses and identification to immigrants not approved for immigration (aka illegals) although these documents will not indicate that they are Real ID compliant.

Last edited:
We are moving away a bit from the Irish passport card and its uses and usability ;). It might be useful to explain for readers on this (my) side of the pond that in the USA one can get a driver's licence even when one cannot drive a car. Such a system is unknown in Europe. While our driving licences can be used for other identification purposes than just confirming who we are and that we are allowed to drive motor vehicles, in a legal sense this is only possible in the country where the driving licence has been issued and not in another EU country.

This is why Spanish pilgrims can use their driver's licence when they register at a hotel or albergue in Spain but foreign pilgrims cannot do that. At least that is what the law about the libro-registro de viajeros says. With thanks to Prado - photos of Irish passport card, Irish driving licence, and East German driving licence (they are valid until 2033 at the latest):

So this is ok IRL passport.jpg

but not this IRL driver.jpg

and not thisDDR driver.jpg

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We are moving away a bit from the Irish passport card and its uses and usability ;). It might be useful to explain for readers on this (my) side of the pond that in the USA one can get a driver's licence even when one cannot drive a car. Such a system is unknown in Europe. While our driving licences can be used for other identification purposes than just confirming who we are and that we are allowed to drive motor vehicles, in a legal sense this is only possible in the country where the driving licence has been issued and not in another EU country.

This is why Spanish pilgrims can use their driver's licence when they register at a hotel or albergue in Spain but foreign pilgrims cannot do that. At least that is what the law about the libro-registro de viajeros says. With thanks to Prado - photos of Irish passport card, Irish driving licence, and East German driving licence (they are valid until 2033 at the latest):
So this is ok View attachment 154793 but not this View attachment 154794 and not thisView attachment 154795
Did I read that right? You can get a drivers licence in the USA even if you don’t drive?

Did I read that right? You can get a drivers licence in the USA even if you don’t drive?
Actually no. You can get a state ID which is issued by the same agency as the driver's licenses.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It might be useful to explain for readers on this (my) side of the pond that in the USA one can get a driver's licence even when one cannot drive a car.
That's news to me and sounds crazy but the states are responsible for drivers licenses and so there may be differing rules. I know that in Massachusetts the Registry of Motor Vehicles issues (1) drivers licenses which can be used also for identification (2) identification cards for residents without a drivers license and (3) a liquor purchasing license for residents 21 years or older without a drivers license or for residents of other states 21 years or older with or without a drivers license issued by their state. They all look similar but their purpose is noted on each ID.

The reason behind number (3) is explained here

Last edited:
Actually no. You can get a state ID which is issued by the same agency as the driver's licenses.
I note that there is a need to explain the difference 😉 because the website's title is "What’s The Difference Between A State ID And A Drivers’ License? (Differentiate Among The Two!)".

That's news to me and sounds crazy
I should have been more careful with my choice of words and should have written something like "fake driver's licence" but that did not sound right either. My point is that this whole ID document business, and its implications for voting in elections for example, is a little strange to us and at least some 35 years ago (yikes) this was how one European who had lived in California explained their system to another European. 😇

Last edited:
I note that there is a need to explain the difference 😉 because the website's title is "What’s The Difference Between A State ID And A Drivers’ License? (Differentiate Among The Two!)".
No doubt the article was written for Europeans who are confused about the two. 😂

Needless to say, my post was not meant to be criticising in any way, merely providing useful background information to understand context.

Isn't it wonderful that we have so many different ways for managing life in our complex societies? Some have not only passports but also passport cards while others don't even know what that is. 🙂

Needless to say, my post was not meant to be criticising in any way, merely providing useful background information to understand context.

Isn't it wonderful that we have so many different ways for managing life in our complex societies? Some have not only passports but also passport cards while others don't even know what that is. 🙂
Well fake IDs, press passes, driving licenses are available on Khoasan Road, Bangkok, for a good pice!

As far as on the Camino goes...We made color copy of our passport info/photo page and had it laminated. We used this exclusively when checking into albergues and our real/actual passport stayed safely tucked away in the backpack. Never once did they request the real passport.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.