• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nazaré to Fatima Walking Route

Bigfoot

Time of past OR future Camino
Saria-SAntiago
Porto Santiago
Camino Ingles
We will be walking soon. Is there a detailed map or guide book available? Is the route as well marked as the Caminos? Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There are usually plenty of signs for Fatima if you know where and what to look for - Blue lettering on white background. Found my journey Lisbon - Tomar - Fatima last month to have excellent signposting.

Here are a couple of examples from Google Street View of the first few miles out of Nazaré. The first (1) is on the lamppost as you cross at the pedestrian crossing. As you turn off the road to the Ohai Resort (2) into the forest there is another blue sign on a white background. Just keep looking for them or ask.

Attachments

• Nazare Map.jpg
    Nazare Map.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 20
  • Nazare 1.jpg
    Nazare 1.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Nazare 2.jpg
    Nazare 2.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 17
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just a heads up to say that the association that dedicated itself to walking pilgrims on the route to Fátima has disbanded. You can read more here. I don’t know what that means about the route from Nazaré, but I think it has complicated things for pilgrims walking from Tomar.

I believe a lot is likely to be on the side of the road (@Corned Beef, do you have any info about that?). There have been tragic reports of pilgrim deaths over the years, so take care and wear a hi-viz vest!

Just a heads up to say that the association that dedicated itself to walking pilgrims on the route to Fátima has disbanded. You can read more here. I don’t know what that means about the route from Nazaré, but I think it has complicated things for pilgrims walking from Tomar.
The Ministry of Tourism has taken up these responsibilities more directly, and has started the process of installing some clearer routes and waymarkers.

This will be a lengthy process, but on those routes where the work has already been done, the improvements are remarkable.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
JP, do you know which routes have been improved?
As I said, it's a work in progress -- the Carmelite Way to Fátima does have the new waymarking, including on the portion of the Central that coincides with it, and on that portion, the waymarking of the Caminho Central towards Santiago has been improved in the same way. It is very possible that the waymarking on the Northern Way to Fátima and on the lengthy stretch where it coincides with the Caminho Central, as far north as Valença, does have these improvements.

By contrast, the Caminho de Fátima do Nascente had the old-style blue arrows, in 2022 anyway.

It's likely that the routes mentioned in the website that @jungleboy has linked to are the ones with the improvements, though it's possible that the new signage has started to be installed on other routes albeit not fully.

I did hear locally that a project exists to do the same waymarking on the Caminho de Fátima da Beira, on which there was nothing at all, not even any blue arrows, when I walked some of it in the same year.

Last edited:
By contrast, the Caminho de Fátima do Nascente had the old-style blue arrows, in 2022 anyway.

The ones between Tomar and Fatima have been improved to the newer ones

But coming back to @peregrina2000 comments about safety. Any time I've seen pilgrim groups heading for Fatima, there were some with hi-vis jackets. I also have always felt safe in Portugal but probably because I am always in a hi-vis jacket. In looking a part of the route on GSV, there are some questionable road sections that would need care.

Attachments

• P1000532.JPG
    P1000532.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We will be walking soon. Is there a detailed map or guide book available? Is the route as well marked as the Caminos? Thanks
I walked this path last spring. It is a great walk, it is fairly well marked, though not as many resources. There is a guidebook available, published by Centro Nacional de Cultura. Also, they are developing a website and apps to cover all the Caminhos de Fatima, as referenced in other posts.

20240213_081337.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

A local (central Portuguese) news source reported recently on the newly marked routes to Fatima from 1/ Serta 2/Tomar and 3/ Abrantes (east of Vila Nova da Barquinha on the Tejo/Tagus). Here's a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back