• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Neck Wallet - Atomic Wedgie variant

GreatDane

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF to Burgos Sept/Oct 2014, Burgos to Astorga April 2016, Astorga to SdC 2017
In the past two years I've bought a half dozen different styles of neck wallets including two I got yesterday at REI to try out (and will be returning today). Last camino I used a neck wallet worn around my neck and just dropped into my shirt. In Madrid I dropped it down into (still around my neck) into my Macabi skirt waist. I thought I'd sew it into my Macabi skirt the way that Annie Santiago has for her DIY Secret Pocket. But I wanted it even more secure for my foray into Madrid's El Rastro flea market. And if I am wearing my little black knit skirt instead on other days, I'd need a plan "B". Over cautious - yes...

So instead of sewing the neck wallet permanently into my Macabi Skirt I've added 1/2" nylon webbing (dog leash) ears to my neck wallet. In high risk areas I plan on both having the neck strap around my neck but also hooked to my belt and dropped into my Macabi skirt just like Annie's DIY Secret Pocket. Hoping that if someone does try to grab and run with it from my neck or tries to cut the strap and run, I've got 2 additional points of contact. They have to pull my skirt off to get it (like the DIY Secret Pocket). And I can still take it separate with me to the shower.
IMG_2154.JPG

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In the past two years I've bought a half dozen different styles of neck wallets including two I got yesterday at REI to try out (and will be returning today). Last camino I used a neck wallet worn around my neck and just dropped into my shirt. In Madrid I dropped it down into (still around my neck) into my Macabi skirt waist. I thought I'd sew it into my Macabi skirt the way that Annie Santiago has for her DIY Secret Pocket. But I wanted it even more secure for my foray into Madrid's El Rastro flea market. And if I am wearing my little black knit skirt instead on other days, I'd need a plan "B". Over cautious - yes...

So instead of sewing the neck wallet permanently into my Macabi Skirt I've added 1/2" nylon webbing (dog leash) ears to my neck wallet. In high risk areas I plan on both having the neck strap around my neck but also hooked to my belt and dropped into my Macabi skirt just like Annie's DIY Secret Pocket. Hoping that if someone does try to grab and run with it from my neck or tries to cut the strap and run, I've got 2 additional points of contact. They have to pull my skirt off to get it (like the DIY Secret Pocket). And I can still take it separate with me to the shower.
View attachment 24943

I never use a neck wallet as I don't lke the strap to show.
I have for years always sewn a pocket...a money belt pouch in every skirt I take on any trip. I transfer the items from one pocket to another. When in the shower or washroom. So all items are with me. I sew it off centre over my left hip? I roll up that skirt at night and place in my bed with me.
I travel light so ...three skirts..three pouches....
When back home, I take the pockets out...ready for the next trip.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Do you wear a neck wallet at home? Do you feel the threat of being mugged in Spain that much greater than in the USA?

Do you wear a neck wallet at home? Do you feel the threat of being mugged in Spain that much greater than in the USA?

I know what you're suggesting here, and I mostly agree. However, on our second Camino (summer 2015), an unsuccessful attempt was made to pick-pocket my husband in Madrid. He was lucky he felt the guy's hand in his cargo pocket.
We went to Marrakech for six days after our Camino. My waist belt for money and my passport had broken, so I jammed things into my Maccabi pockets. A fortune teller reached into my pocket looking for more money, but came up empty handed. I had zipped everything into the secret pocket beforehand. She felt the passport and kept insisting I had more money to give.
Paranoia is never a good way to travel, but zip pockets or neck wallets (if that's your thing) are extra insurance against having to replace crap stolen or lost whilst in a foreign country. I am so glad we didn't have to replace boarding passes and passports the night my husband was (almost) pick-pocketed on our last night in Spain. Ugh!

I agree too much paranoia its not good a little paranoid helps keep you safe, don't matter where I'm I always have "one to give" and one to keep :)

zzotte

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
No, at home I clip my wallet to my belt. Like I've mentioned elsewhere, the single time I didn't (a month ago) I'm 100% sure my wallet flipped out of my pocket when I went to use a public restroom. It has never been recovered - my debit and credit cards had no charges on them in the time I used them last and then realized they were gone.

Do you wear a neck wallet at home? Do you feel the threat of being mugged in Spai that much greater than in the USA?
Oh yes, There are Master pick pockets In Madrid and Barcelona especially. Greatdane did mention She ks doing this especialy thinking about The day She wants to visit The fleamarket In Madrid. My mom laost her wallet to pickpockets In Madrid, a colleague while sitting on a bench In Barcelona. They are super good at it!

If I get my wallet stolen here at home in California, I just drive home, where I have a little spare cash, pull out my credit card statements and call them, and wait a few days for new cards to arrive. I have a home and food available. If I need more cash in the meantime, I just grab my checkbook, go to the bank, and cash a check.

If I get my wallet stolen while travelling, I don't have a home to go to with lots of resources to tide me over. I need money to pay for my food (and maybe lodging) that day. If I'm moving to a new place every day, like on the camino, it's going to be more difficult to get replacement cards sent to me. If my passport is stolen (not a possibility at home), I need to find a US embassy or consulate to get a replacement, which might require significant changes to my plans. The only ones in Spain are the U.S. embassy in Madrid and the U.S. Consulate in Barcelona. I don't know about what it takes to get a replacement passport for citizens of other countries, but I doubt it's much more convenient.

So whether or not theft is more likely in my home country or the one I'm visiting, the inconvenience due to that theft are much worse when travelling. Heck, it doesn't even have to be a different country. If I get mugged in Des Moines, it's still going to cause me to waste a lot of precious vacation time.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
An acquaintance of mine recently told me of some of the tricks pickpockets use to get your wallet. He was somewhere in Spain (not the Camino) and got squirted with mustard by a "clumsy" diner, who then, with "muchas disculpas" began to wipe off the mustard with his napkin. During the fuss, his partner in crime lifted my friend's wallet from his back pocket. He was foiled by the chain my friend used to fasten the wallet to his belt. There was a brief tug-of-war, but my friend managed to get his wallet back.

Moral of story? Be aware of your surroundings at all times in all places. Many years ago I was mugged by being hit on the head with a heavy glass bottle and then robbed of my purse in my own hometown. It can happen anywhere.

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back