• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need a map creation app

BobM

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
I want to build a fairly simple schematic map (eg no topo information) from scratch using say a generic OSM base map but adding my own layers for places, roads, POI etc and deleting pre-set layers that I don't need.

It is a pretty tedious task to do all that manually, so I am looking for an app to simplify the work. It is possible to laboriously re-work a Google Map in Photoshop, but that is also very time consuming, especially to draw roads.

Any ideas?

Bob M

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You need more than the layer building function and POIs of MyMaps on Google Maps?

You need more than the layer building function and POIs of MyMaps on Google Maps?
I had a quick look at MyMaps and it may work for me. It will autogenerate a route, for example, which avoids having to laboriously draw the route.

You can also choose various styles for the base map, which is useful. The only problem is that I would be stuck with a lot of unwanted data on the base map (eg Arabic names for towns on the map I want to prepare). It is possible to turn the map into an image for Photoshopping out the unwanted stuff, but it is laborious and quality suffers for printing purposes.

Maybe there is a way around the issues. I need to explore MyMaps a bit more.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Bob M

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Have you looked at LearnOSM ?

I tried it out a few years ago when a group I was in needed an uncluttered map for a car treasure hunt. In the short term it would have taken too long to master for our needs and I ended up tracing over UK Ordnance Survey maps with AutoCAD to produce a paper cartoon that could be handed out. But if you want an electronic map and have time and patience . . .

Have you looked at LearnOSM ?

I tried it out a few years ago when a group I was in needed an uncluttered map for a car treasure hunt. In the short term it would have taken too long to master for our needs and I ended up tracing over UK Ordnance Survey maps with AutoCAD to produce a paper cartoon that could be handed out. But if you want an electronic map and have time and patience . . .

Thanks for the tip. I had a quick look at LearnOSM. It's functionality seems better than Google MyMaps, but there is a learning curve with both apps to get to grips with concepts and jargon. My maps will appear in printed books, so print quality is a consideration. I have experimented with producing cartoons by using Photoshop to rework an image of a base map, but the results are not great, especially re drawing wiggly lines for routes etc.

Bob M

Thanks for the tip. I had a quick look at LearnOSM. It's functionality seems better than Google MyMaps, but there is a learning curve with both apps to get to grips with concepts and jargon. My maps will appear in printed books, so print quality is a consideration. I have experimented with producing cartoons by using Photoshop to rework an image of a base map, but the results are not great, especially re drawing wiggly lines for routes etc.

Bob M
I dug through some old notebooks last night - an exercise in seguing if ever there was one - and came upon a cryptic note "uMAP - could be useful!" so I looked it up again. It works as layers over OSM and you can plot routes and annotate but I'm not sure I wouldn't get just the same result from ViewRanger.

As an aside, somewhere, buried deep, I have a double headed ruling pen - twin split blade nibs on a swivel handle. You can set the line thickness and the distance apart for the two lines. Perfect for twisting, parallel lines on a drawing. I think the only time it was ever used was to rough out the alignment of a haul road for a reservoir in Hong Kong (that you can still see on Google Earth) - nostalgia, it ain't what it used to be!

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I dug through some old notebooks last night - an exercise in seguing if ever there was one - and came upon a cryptic note "uMAP - could be useful!" so I looked it up again. It works as layers over OSM and you can plot routes and annotate but I'm not sure I wouldn't get just the same result from ViewRanger.
As an aside, somewhere, buried deep, I have a double headed ruling pen - twin split blade nibs on a swivel handle. You can set the line thickness and the distance apart for the two lines. Perfect for twisting, parallel lines on a drawing. I think the only time it was ever used was to rough out the alignment of a haul road for a reservoir in Hong Kong (that you can still see on Google Earth) - nostalgia, it ain't what it used to be!
More good tips - and an opportunity for me to wallow in some connected nostalgia of my own. When I was an engineering student my set of drawing instruments had an adjustable pen such as you described. It would even attach to a pair of compasses and I often doodled nice circles while the instructor droned away about perspective construction or some such gibberish.

I lived in HK for a few years and possibly walked the road or passed the very reservoir you were involved with while traipsing around the New Territories.

Ah yes, where would we be without the past to remind us how much better things were then and how the world (and its youth) have gone to hell in a handbasket!

Bob M

Last edited:
I use the online tools at gpsvisualizer.com for a lot of the GPS stuff that I do. If I understand correctly what you want to do then this link might help you.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
There is a highly accurate tracking App called Walkmeter. You can overlay its files onto Google Maps showing the route walked. You can then insert way point information as desired.

I use the online tools at gpsvisualizer.com for a lot of the GPS stuff that I do. If I understand correctly what you want to do then this link might help you.

Good old GPSvisualizer rides to the rescue again. I just did a quick test map and it might work for me. There are two big pluses: (1) All Open Source so I can kiss Google and its copyright hassles goodbye (my maps will be published); (2) a large number of styles for the background map and you can choose the opacity.

And it is totally intuitive! Have I found Paradise, or what?

Some photoshopping of the map image might be needed to remove unwanted place names.

Much obliged.

Bob M

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
More good tips - and an opportunity for me to wallow in some connected nostalgia of my own. When I was an engineering student my set of drawing instruments had an adjustable pen such as you described. It would even attach to a pair of compasses and I often doodled nice circles while the instructor droned away about perspective construction or some such gibberish.

I lived in HK for a few years and possibly walked the road or passed the very reservoir you were involved with while traipsing around the New Territories.

Ah yes, where would we be without the past to remind us how much better things were then and how the world (and its youth) have gone to hell in a handbasket!

Bob M
High Island Reservoir, HK

1569312383179.png

Good old GPSvisualizer rides to the rescue again. I just did a quick test map and it might work for me. There are two big pluses: (1) All Open Source so I can kiss Google and its copyright hassles goodbye (my maps will be published); (2) a large number of styles for the background map and you can choose the opacity.

And it is totally intuitive! Have I found Paradise, or what?

Some photoshopping of the map image might be needed to remove unwanted place names.

Much obliged.

Bob M
Just been playing with it - using "Open Topo Map" removes much of the labelling

1569313595960.png

Brilliant tool. Once you create the map (see dummy run created in Sandbox post #14) is there any way to export the background map and the gpx or kml file?

Edit - found a way around it. Save the gpx and then go back to gpsvisualiser and import gpx to generate HTML file.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You could consider OsmAnd, an Android off-line mapping-and-navigation app. One can select or deselect various layers and tune the level of detail. I used it on four pilgrimages and think it is great. It also shows vertical profile etc. Google it to get the free download. The "+" version costs a pittance more and allows one to download and save additional OSM maps, which are all free.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.