• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need advice - Santiago to Pontevedra Portuguese way

KatyG23

Time of past OR future Camino
First Camino (2017)
Hi all,

Looking for someone to basically point me in the right direction! (Literally!!)
I fly into Santiago next week and am staying with a friend who lives in Ponteverde. I decided, fairly last minute, to spend 3 days on the Camino before I join my friend in Ponteverde.

Can I start in Santiago? Should I? Are there many people along that route? I've no problem walking past Ponteverde and then getting transport back there after the three days.

I'm really excited to walk for three days alone, but I seem to have bogged myself down with reading forums that I'm now more worried I'll choose the wrong way!

Any advice would be appreciated! (Also, do people camp on any of these routes?)

K

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I haven't done this, but if this is similar to the Frances, both times I have walked, there have been people walking the route in reverse. I am not sure how common it is, but it doesn't appear so. And I regularly saw what might have been locals just out for a day walk going in the opposite direction to me.

Will you get lost? Consider that the path is not going to be well marked going backwards and that you might need to take extra care to re-construct the route in reverse. It might take a bit more ingenuity finding markers that are facing the other way at times when you cannot see pilgrims coming towards you in the 'normal' direction. And you might also want to prepare yourself to be off the path from time to time and have to work out how to get to your next intermediate waypoint.

I will leave the question of camping to others.

Very valid points! Thanks Doug!
I don't mind getting transport to a different starting point and then heading towards Santiago either- from what you're saying that might be a better idea! Thank you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very valid points! Thanks Doug!
I don't mind getting transport to a different starting point and then heading towards Santiago either- from what you're saying that might be a better idea! Thank you!
I thought that the idea of walking from Santiago to your friend's home was wonderfully romantic. But there are other options, depending on your fitness, like Finisterre or Muxia. They might be good destinations from Santiago if you think you can put in some long days.

Hola Katy

Why not get the train from Santiago to Pontevedra and walk back. There are very regular trains. It will take three days to walk back to Santiago. Pontevedra - Caldas de Reis - PadrĂłn - Santiago. Then when you reach Santiago simply get the train back again to join your friend.

You'll meet other pilgrims on the way. There are no campsites I know of on this stretch but there are plenty of Pilgrim Albergues.

Buen Camino

John

I fly into Santiago next week and am staying with a friend who lives in Ponteverde. I decided, fairly last minute, to spend 3 days on the Camino before I join my friend in Ponteverde.

Hi, looks feasible to me.

Day 1: Santiago to PadrĂłn
Day 2: PadrĂłn to Caldas de Reis
Day 3: Caldas de Reis to Pontevedra

Lots of pilgrims at this time of the year walking TO Santiago, so you can see which way to go by where they are coming from.

If you get to a fork in the road and not sure which way to go, take off your pack, sit on it, and wait until you see someone coming the other way. It shouldn’t be long, and it will give you a rest.

Or get an app with the trail marked.

And if you see any blue arrows, follow them. They are leading the way to Fatima, and they will go through Pontevedra.

Don’t even think about camping.
Jill

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have to confess I've tried walking backwards on this route and found it very difficult. Indeed once Ivar and I got very large lost trying this very thing! :( but good luck if you try!
We did a reverse route down the Portugese and found it very confusing coming out of Santiago as there are too many arrows and hard to work out route maps in reverse. One of the few times I would recommend taking a GPS as the biggest problem can be figuring out where you are. A lovely walk though.

Hi all,

Looking for someone to basically point me in the right direction! (Literally!!)

Can I start in Santiago? Should I? Are there many people along that route? I've no problem walking past Ponteverde and then getting transport back there after the three days.

I'm really excited to walk for three days alone, but I seem to have bogged myself down with reading forums that I'm now more worried I'll choose the wrong way!

Any advice would be appreciated! (Also, do people camp on any of these routes?)

K
There are some nice sections and others less enticing. The Camino is well marked, just follow the blue arrows that lead you to Fátima in Portugal, but stop in Pontevedra. All the towns on the CP are well connected to by train and bus. Less pilgrims than the CF, and even less walking in reverse, but there will be people. No camping, but lots of accommodation options.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola Katy

Why not get the train from Santiago to Pontevedra and walk back. There are very regular trains. It will take three days to walk back to Santiago. Pontevedra - Caldas de Reis - PadrĂłn - Santiago. Then when you reach Santiago simply get the train back again to join your friend.

You'll meet other pilgrims on the way. There are no campsites I know of on this stretch but there are plenty of Pilgrim Albergues.

Buen Camino

John
Thanks so much John, that's pretty much what I needed- someone to say go that way and go back that way! Cheers!

Feeling quite sick today so hopefully I'll be all better by Wednesday. Thank you ever so much for your help!
You guys are fantastic!!!

I thought that the idea of walking from Santiago to your friend's home was wonderfully romantic. But there are other options, depending on your fitness, like Finisterre or Muxia. They might be good destinations from Santiago if you think you can put in some long days.

Romantic maybe, feasible probably not! I think I'll go with what @JohnnieWalker has mentioned. Thank you for your help Doug!
It's so wonderful to be able to ask and receive answers so promptly from people in the know!

I think I would get a bus from Santiago to Tui or Valenca in Northern Portugal. They are only a few miles apart. Tui has a fantastic alberque, historic, and a Cathedral for the picking up of a Compostela. Valenca has a superb castle and the alberque is modern. Then I would walk north to Pontevedra. Short days would do it. It's a nice bit of the walk. Though the Redondela alberque is a bit of a dump.

Thinking about avoiding the Redondela alberque, which isn't that bad and the town is nice. - But I have a grudge after one of their beds collapsed under me and the management thought I was at fault rather than their rubbish bunk maintenance.

You can break your journey in two by staying in Mos. Which is a super spot.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back