• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need for a jacket

Singingheart

Kathy Dahm
Time of past OR future Camino
I'm sure this has been covered multiple times, but I can't find anything explicit so thought I'd pose the question again. I'm walking this year in September and October, through the end of October, leaving Madrid on the 28th. I've decided to take an Altus type poncho (by Farrino), along with very light-weight rain pants, which I may use for my second pair of pants. I'm taking a fleece zip up jacket, with the option of a smart wool long-sleeve t-shirt as well, if it's cold. And a short-sleeve shirt too, to layer if needed. I thought I wouldn't take an additional outer layer jacket, like a wind breaker, but I'm wondering if I might need it. Or maybe if I need more warmth than the fleece when it isn't raining, I could just buy something there. Not sure what to do and wanting to keep my pack as light as possible. Any advice is welcome. Many thanks to you wonderful veterans of the Camino. :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I agree with @Anniesantiago, take a windbreaker. And I know you didn't ask, but I'd also suggest you take a headwarmer of some kind, light gloves and a scarf/buff. I was on the Francés during the shoulder season (April/May) without a scarf, and I won't make that mistake again - the mornings and evenings can be cold. That said, I hope you have fabulous weather. Buen Camino. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I always take a windbreaker in Fall, but nothing heavy. Just an extra layer.
Thanks, Anniesantiago, I'll see what I can find.
I agree with @Anniesantiago, take a windbreaker. And I know you didn't ask, but I'd also suggest you take a headwarmer of some kind, light gloves and a scarf/buff. I was on the Francés during the shoulder season (April/May) without a scarf, and I won't make that mistake again - the mornings and evenings can be cold. That said, I hope you have fabulous weather. Buen Camino. :)
Thank you, Icacos, I do have a knit cap and gloves which are supposed to be waterproof, although I know they may not be entirely. I don't have a scarf/buff on my list, although I do have a lightweight sarong that I though I could use as a scarf if necessary. I also have a sunhat, but it's not really for warmth, thus the knit cap.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Can't speak about Sept/oct but in the spring it was not about it being the cold temp it was after getting very tired I would get very cold. My fleece Coat was the best, after a pilgrim meal I would warm back up.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Singingheart,
I have been lucky enough to walk twice in September and October I would say it depends how thick your fleece is? I will repeat my first stage again this year and will have again an Altus poncho with good fleece and extra long sleeve item to add if necessary. (Merino sweater for me)
First year I did have a couple of frosty mornings and would agree with the need for gloves and something to warm your ears, having said all of that most of the time all my stuff was carried and I had blazing sunshine for most of my days! Bring sun protection!I was grateful for my extra clothing at night in a few cooler Albergues but when I was walking I soon wanted to shed layers. I love the weather in the later months and don't ever envisage walking any other time than the Fall, my son had 35 out of 42 days of rain during his Spring Camino!!!

I wish you a Buen Camino I'm hoping to leave St Jean around the 18th of September this year, maybe see you out there?
Sarah

Yes, I generally take a felted wool sweater these days instead of a fleece.
I buy a large man's wool sweater at Goodwill, then take it home and pop it in the washing machine on HOT and put it in the dryer and it comes out nice and felted and lightweight. (and the right size!)

But LAST year, I had the lady I stayed with in Santiago wash my sweater in one of those Spanish machines and it became small enough for a 5 year old. ::laughing:: so don't wash it on the trail!

I always take a windbreaker in Fall, but nothing heavy. Just an extra layer.
I've just ordered a Salomon Fast Wing Hoodie, which supposedly weighs only 3.2 oz! for $49. It was on sale. I had to get a large, but I'm hoping that I'll welcome the extra room, so I can wear it over my fleece if needed. Fingers crossed. This is one of my last gear decisions. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I will have to check that out. I am going at the same time. my plans right now or for a wind shirt. otherwise similar to your packing plans.

Hi Singingheart,
I have been lucky enough to walk twice in September and October I would say it depends how thick your fleece is? I will repeat my first stage again this year and will have again an Altus poncho with good fleece and extra long sleeve item to add if necessary. (Merino sweater for me)
First year I did have a couple of frosty mornings and would agree with the need for gloves and something to warm your ears, having said all of that most of the time all my stuff was carried and I had blazing sunshine for most of my days! Bring sun protection!I was grateful for my extra clothing at night in a few cooler Albergues but when I was walking I soon wanted to shed layers. I love the weather in the later months and don't ever envisage walking any other time than the Fall, my son had 35 out of 42 days of rain during his Spring Camino!!!

I wish you a Buen Camino I'm hoping to leave St Jean around the 18th of September this year, maybe see you out there?
Sarah
I will have to check that out. I am going at the same time. my plans right now or for a wind shirt. otherwise similar to your packing plans.
I'd never heard of a wind shirt, but looked it up on Google and it sounds like the same sort of ultra light weight jacket.

I've just ordered a Salomon Fast Wing Hoodie, which supposedly weighs only 3.2 oz! for $49. It was on sale. I had to get a large, but I'm hoping that I'll welcome the extra room, so I can wear it over my fleece if needed. Fingers crossed. This is one of my last gear decisions. :)
The Fast Wing Hoodie arrived and the large size was very snug! It wouldn't work over a fleece, so back it goes. Also, it's SOOO light, featherweight, that I can't imagine that it would be much good as a windbreaker. Now I've ordered another jacket, recommended in the magazine, Runner's World--a Black Diamond Womens Alpine Start Hoodie. It's heavier than the Salomon jacket but is still very light. Hope it works!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back