• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need help in Fabara

peregrina2000

Staff member
I can't search on my phone but I did look at Alan's post and saw he didn't sleep in Fabara.

Tomorrow it's only 12 to Batea, so we don't want to sleep there. Fabara is next but pension Oliver has closed and Teresa Martin doesn't answer. We will probably have to get a cab from Fabara to Caspe if Sta Martin doesn't answer the phone, but if anyone has good ideas let us know please!!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We will probably have to get a cab from Fabara to Caspe if Sta Martin doesn't answer the phone, but if anyone has good ideas let us know please!!!

Some tips:

• Sunday may be not the best day for phone contact so don't give up till tomorrow.
  • If you can't contact her, ask once on the ground. You may have the wrong number, it may be a new accommodation on town...
  • If there's no accommodation for you in Fabara, you don't need to take a(n expensive) taxi to Caspe. Take the 15:15 bus to Maella (roughly 10kms away from Fabara) and sleep there. There's a fonda and a hotel in Maella or so it says the web of the city council (that also provides the address and phone number of the accommodations): www.maella.es/alojamiento/alojamiento_es.php
  • Next day, take a taxi from Maella to Fabara (the bus schedule doesn't suit you; see www.hife.es to check schedules by yourself, if you want) and continue your walk. Because walking all straight on the road from Fabara to Caspe isn't really an (attractive) option.
P.S.: There's a casa rural in Nonaspe (www.lapreso.cat) but it seems they require a minimum stay of two nights. If you could convince them to allow you to make a one night stay (without charging for one night the price of two nights, i.e.), that would be a good alternative because you could take a bus from Fabara to Nonaspe (departures at 14:50; 15:00 and 20:15) and take a bus back next day from Nonaspe to Fabara (departures at 7:35 a.m. and 8:00 a.m.) althouth, overall, it might be cheaper to go to Maella... (compare accommodations' prices to take a decission). The bus route is operated by Hife.

P.S. (2): You'll enter tomorrow in Aragón although you'll still hear (some) Catalan on the streets because that's a Catalan speaking area of Aragón. Fabara (Castilian)=Favara (Catalan); Nonaspe (Castilian)=Nonasp (Catalan)

Last edited by a moderator:
So pleased Castlian has the knowledge.
I stayed in the excellent albergue in Batea: then, due to the distances without accommodation, I took a bus to Caspe. Lovely old lady with accommodation in Chiprana, the day after Caspe.
If you get desperate for ideas, ask Castlian ... or text me on +44 789-901-789-3
Blessings, Laurie!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I found Fabara a bit of a macho dump, other than its lovely Roman mausoleum. So I was quite pleased I did a very short day to Batea and enjoyed its fine arcades and comfortable albergue, and had an excellent meal on the edge of the town/village, washed down with the delicious DOC Terra Alta wine.

Batea to Caspe was a long walk, but a lovely one, through vines and olives and garrigue, very little tarmac - and the only clue that you've crossed from Cataluña to Aragón is the fact that the no hunting signs change from caça to caza. If you do that, top up your water at Fabara's mausoleum, as there is none that I saw for the next 20+km, until the edge of Caspe. Hope you enjoyed Gandesa's venta and had better fare there than in the song.

Attachments

• IMG_20151014_124853.jpg
    IMG_20151014_124853.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 10
Lovely picture, Alan.
Just look at tbose blue skies! Am off to SdC in 3 days. I hope the forecast improves before then!

Buen camino, Laurie!

OMG, thanks so much. We will hope for Santiago's help and good luck. I will keep you posted. Hoping to stay in the austere Fabara.

If we can stay in Fabara, the next day to Caspe is easy. Then to Monasterio de Rueda. From there we'd like to take three days to get to Zaragoza. But it looks tough. To Quinto is 37 and then 40 to Zaragoza. We're not having much luck breaking those two days into three. More help? :).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If we can stay in Fabara, the next day to Caspe is easy. Then to Monasterio de Rueda. From there we'd like to take three days to get to Zaragoza. But it looks tough. To Quinto is 37 and then 40 to Zaragoza. We're not having much luck breaking those two days into three. More help?

You can break the Quinto to Zaragoza stage by staying overnight in Fuentes de Ebro. Quinto to Fuentes de Ebro is a short day what isn't a bad thing after the long one to Quinto...

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't help, Laurie. You're very lucky to have Castilian 'in' on this conversation!
I cannot even contemplate the long daily distances you're talking about: I stayed in Chiprana, then Sastago..... a tough climb for me [an old timer] then down the narrow track to the lovely bridge into Sastago....
P1020746.JPG

The next day I chickened out and caught a bus to Zaragoza. After Zaragoza there were shorter days and more options.
Two more days and I'm flying to SdC ....

S
x

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A very Buen Camino to you, Stephen!
(Gosh, so many Forum members are out there. The Tertulia should be a happening place once everyone converges on Santiago. Too bad it won't be all on the same day...that'd be quite a gathering!)

Not much wifi but we're in Fabara. (Alan is right that Batea is much nicer). But very nice people here.

Castilian, you were right. Sunday was a bad day to make contact. We got in touch with Terrsa from our coffee stop in Batea.

Now we are still trying to figure out the Eacatron to Zaragoza stages. Annie has the Spanish guide and it says

Escatron to Velilla--28.6 (but no place to stay)

Velilla to Fuentes -- 26.2

Fuentes to Zaragoza --33

That's a total of 87 km but my calculations from the web were only 77

Escatron to Quinto-- 37
Quinto to Zaragoza -- 40

So not only are we confused about where to stay we are also confused about how far it is!!

Will write more later but today's walk was quiet, agricultural and solitary. Just what the doctor ordered.

Thanks from Laurie and Annie.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.