• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need to pause for 3 days

zydronika

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2023
Camino Frances
My 18 year old son and I have been walking the Camino Frances since July 7th. Other than an overnight in Orisson to avoid the long one day trek to Roncesvalles and two nights in Burgos for some well needed rest, we are on track with the stage suggestions in John Brierley’s book.
Over the last few days I developed tendinitis in both ankles and the doctor in Frómista (excellent urgent care centre) wrapped my feet and told me not to walk for 3 days.
I am devastated.
Due to the rest day in Burgos, we were already one day behind schedule and knew we would have to take a bus for one stage. Now we are 3 more days out.
Any suggestions for where we can spend it meaningfully?
There is a Benedictine Monastery in Camino de Rabanal that takes guests for a few days of quiet contemplation, but that is 7 stages ahead of us.
Any suggestions?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
zydronika,
In Leon the Benedictinas (Carbajalas) next to their albergue also offer the
Hospideria PAX with private accommodation which is very nice and which you can reserve.
Here is their web--
http://www.hospederiapax.com/

The facilities are located on the plaza Santa María del Camino.

The Hospideria has a pleasant dining room open to all with a good inexpensive daily menu .

While often staying in the pilgrim albergue I peeked at the Hospideria Pax facilities which appear to be very comfortable. Each evening at Pax they offer a prayer service for all.

Wherever you do stop for a few days may you find comfort and peace.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Peg was laid up with tendonitis for several days in Astorga. I asked at the tourist office for a place to rent a wheelchair. There were none but they made a call and the Red Cross immediately delivered a donativo loaner right to the office. This allowed Peg to stay off her feet while touring a sight or two a day. She had to put up with the terror of me wheeling her around though.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My 18 year old son and I have been walking the Camino Frances since July 7th. Other than an overnight in Orisson to avoid the long one day trek to Roncesvalles and two nights in Burgos for some well needed rest, we are on track with the stage suggestions in John Brierley’s book.
Over the last few days I developed tendinitis in both ankles and the doctor in Frómista (excellent urgent care centre) wrapped my feet and told me not to walk for 3 days.
I am devastated.
Due to the rest day in Burgos, we were already one day behind schedule and knew we would have to take a bus for one stage. Now we are 3 more days out.
There is a Benedictine Monastery in Camino de Rabanal that takes guests for a few days of quiet contemplation, but that is 7 stages ahead of us.
Any suggestions?
All good suggestions above.

Recently a lady on the Portuguese Camino had to take a similar rest. She stayed at an albergue and received treatment. Her son walked on alone, then the lady took transport to meet her son 5 days later. They both walked into Santiago and completed their camino together

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sorry for your health issue. You can take a bus or taxi ahead to Camino de Rabanal, Leon, or wherever you choose to go, and bus back to match the time/stages you have after you heal. Or bus back to your current position and finish another year, if that's possible. Best wishes!

I am devastated.
Any suggestions?
Ignore the Stages in Brierley’s book.
They are age and fitness dependent, many people have injuries trying to do too much.
My observation is that around 50% have some by Burgos.
I like the saying “if you want to arrive like a young person, start off like an old one.. slow and shorter distances”
Tendinitis got me on my first many years ago by walking too fast and too far. It can take time to recover, I found ice helped.
Best wishes
Mark

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ignore the Stages in Brierley’s book.
They are age and fitness dependent, many people have injuries trying to do too much.
My observation is that around 50% have some by Burgos.
I like the saying “if you want to arrive like a young person, start off like an old one.. slow and shorter distances”
Tendinitis got me on my first many years ago by walking too fast and too far. It can take time to recover, I found ice helped.
Best wishes
Mark
I totally agree with you my fellow pilgrim!

Brierly's book stages are only a recommendation and not carved in stone.

I was planning my Camino Frances for spring 2020, which I had to postpone for Sept-Oct last year. Since early 2020 knowing my strengths & weaknesses I took Brierly's recommendations and I carved out MY stages and yes, even at my tender age of 72 yrs of age and in spite of my being a regular hiker and had trained during the pandemic, I also developed tendonitis on my knee. It was bothering me for 4 days, but when I arrived in Sahagun, I walked into a farmacia looking for pain killers but the Camino angels provided me instead with a massage therapist who run that homeopathic farmacia and diagnosed, massaged and treated my knee, he also recommended stretching exercises for the start/end of day. All of this served me well and allowed me to hobbled on to continue without missing a day from my schedule.

Buen Camino Pilgrims everywhere ...

As a (no longer running) long distance runner, I have come to learn from others, and embrace for myself, that these type of issues stem from tight hip muscles. If everything is tight in the hips, it strains everything below. If the hips are loosened, everything else loosens.
When I start to feel something, now I immediately for to YouTube videos on hips stretching for runners. Once I learned this, it healed a plantar fasciitis issue that had plagued me for a couple months, within the week. And it has kept me from having any other issues since I learned this.
That being said, an injury needs to heal, so rest and ice are needed now as well. But, add in the hip stretches. It could not hurt to try…

I was in a very similar situation on my recent Camino and also felt incredibly disappointed. I didn’t love the new logistic problem of how to manage my days if not walking, so your plan to find a location to spend the time in is really sensible. Although hard, it’s worth investing in and embracing the rest now so that you can recover properly and keep on walking. I recommend a physio in León who worked magic on my tendonitis and really made a difference to the rest of my trip. See attached photo of a photo for contact details… I also really enjoyed the couple of days I spent in León. All the best!

Attachments

• 8FFF516D-8C31-4CBE-9F4D-82838CD80AAB.jpeg
    8FFF516D-8C31-4CBE-9F4D-82838CD80AAB.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 16
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
After my 2016 Camino I wrote an article for my work newsletter about lessons learned on the Camino. At a later work event I ran into a colleague who had started a Camino and really enjoyed it except she had to leave in Leon due to injuries caused by pushing herself too hard. She said that it wasn't until she read my article that she realized that varying from the Brierley stages was even an option.

I didn't ask her why she thought he listed the albergues in the in-between towns and villages.

I am devastated.
Any suggestions?
When I walked with my fit 35 yo son in 2017 I tried to keep up with his speed & mileage. I did my knee in. Are you trying to match your 18 yo's pace?/ Mileage?

Get the train from Fromista to Palencia, from there to Sahagun. The albergue at Monasterio Santa Cruz is run by Marist Fathers; they can put you up in a private room with its own bath, and offer daily worship opportunities with your fellow pilgrims and/or the Benedictine sisters who own the monastery. Great people, they also speak several languages, hear confessions, and just generally make your stay a good one.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.