• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

3-6 days in Sarria - waiting for group to arrive

geekgirl707

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned- 1st camino- Sept 2022
Hi there!
I, along with a friend/wife of another pilgrim, will be waiting for our husbands in Sarria. We will finish the camino with them. We plan to explore Sarria and the surrounding area while we wait. Any "can't miss" spots to make sure we hit? Thank you & Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi there!
I, along with a friend/wife of another pilgrim, will be waiting for our husbands in Sarria. We will finish the camino with them. We plan to explore Sarria and the surrounding area while we wait. Any "can't miss" spots to make sure we hit? Thank you & Buen Camino!
Take a taxi and spend a day in Lugo. Walk around the old city walls, and go to a service in the cathedral

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Anamiri beat me to it! I was checking the distance between the two places when the post came up.

Sarria is about 32 km and a half hour bus ride to Lugo, which is a World Heritage city, completely ringed by Roman walls. It has a cathedral, lively main square, and lots of cafes and restaurants.

A cab will probably set you back at least 40-50 €, but it is a little faster. I personally would take the bus (3 € or cheaper with online offers from Monbus, assuming they are not on strike), and I would spend the savings on a nice lunch. There’s a kind of foodie restaurant right near the pilgrim albergue in Lugo, Paprica. I had a great meal there, lots of seafood. But whether you go by cab or bus, I think you will really enjoy Lugo.

And I like @J Willhaus ’s suggestion very much too!

If you have 3-6 days to spare (and don't feel like walking any other stages of the camino) why not choose some places anywhere in Spain you want to visit? The public transport system is great in Spain. With 6 days, choose 2-3 places.

Eg. If you're landing in Madrid, stay there for a day or two. Don't rush up to Sarria. You can also choose to visit Toledo which is a short train ride away. Then there's the gorgeous city of Segovia which is also nearby.

Wow! Sarria is good for maybe one day, if you're pushing things! Not for three to six! There's just not that much there, speaking touristically..... Bus or cab it to O Cebreiro and/or Samos, perhaps? Never been to Lugo, myself, but I've heard good things about it....

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wow! Sarria is good for maybe one day, if you're pushing things! Not for there to six! There's just not that much there, speaking touristically..... Bus or cab it to O Cebreiro and/or Samos, perhaps? Never been to Lugo, myself, but I've heard good things about it....
Thanks! Maybe we'll adjust our one night in Santiago to 2-3 and then wait less time in Sarria for our pilgrims to arrive.

If you have 3-6 days to spare (and don't feel like walking any other stages of the camino) why not choose some places anywhere in Spain you want to visit? The public transport system is great in Spain. With 6 days, choose 2-3 places.

Eg. If you're landing in Madrid, stay there for a day or two. Don't rush up to Sarria. You can also choose to visit Toledo which is a short train ride away. Then there's the gorgeous city of Segovia which is also nearby.
This is a good idea too- we are flying direct into Barcelona and then flying to Santiago. We planned to bum around in Madrid or Barcelona once we finished the Camino with the guys, however, they seem to be worried they'll arrive in Sarria later than expected. Right now, I'm trying to calm them down- me and my gal pal will be fine, lol. We miss them, but we're also looking forward to exploring on our own.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Anamiri beat me to it! I was checking the distance between the two places when the post came up.

Sarria is about 32 km and a half hour bus ride to Lugo, which is a World Heritage city, completely ringed by Roman walls. It has a cathedral, lively main square, and lots of cafes and restaurants.

A cab will probably set you back at least 40-50 €, but it is a little faster. I personally would take the bus (3 € or cheaper with online offers from Monbus, assuming they are not on strike), and I would spend the savings on a nice lunch. There’s a kind of foodie restaurant right near the pilgrim albergue in Lugo, Paprica. I had a great meal there, lots of seafood. But whether you go by cab or bus, I think you will really enjoy Lugo.

Love this - thank you for the good info!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Monbus only has one bus a day from Santiago to Sarria I believe. Otherwise you bus to Lugo and then catch a bus from there to Sarria. There will be more daily options for this. So you can spend time in Santiago, Lugo and Sarria.

This is a good idea too- we are flying direct into Barcelona and then flying to Santiago. We planned to bum around in Madrid or Barcelona once we finished the Camino with the guys, however, they seem to be worried they'll arrive in Sarria later than expected. Right now, I'm trying to calm them down- me and my gal pal will be fine, lol. We miss them, but we're also looking forward to exploring on our own.
If you haven't yet bought that tkt to Santiago I'd say spend time in Barcelona and somewhere else near by (Zaragoza? Valencia?).

6 days is a long time to wait, and if you're walking to Santiago I'd say wait to explore it for when you arrive.

we are flying direct into Barcelona and then flying to Santiago

Why fly to Santiago? You can fly to A Coruna Alvedro Airport (LCG) which is less than 100kms from Sarria for €38.99.

But this may be just me... I wouldn't want my walk to Santiago spoiled by flying in there.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Why fly to Santiago? You can fly to A Coruna Alvedro Airport (LCG) which is less than 100kms from Sarria for €38.99.

But this may be just me... I wouldn't want my walk to Santiago spoiled by flying in there.
We booked it already and that's not really a problem for us. We want the trip to Spain and the minimum Camino, hopefully with time for Finesterre. We're leaving the full experience to our spouses as that's their bucket list item :)

It's only a one hour bus ride to Lugo, with several departures during the day. I've been to Lugo twice. It is one of the most charming places I've ever visited. I like it so much that on my June Camino this year, I'm going to take the bus from Sarria just to spend the night there, then bus back to resume walking. It really is special place.

It's only a one hour bus ride to Lugo, with several departures during the day. I've been to Lugo twice. It is one of the most charming places I've ever visited. I like it so much that on my June Camino this year, I'm going to take the bus from Sarria just to spend the night there, then bus back to resume walking. It really is special place.
Thank you!! I am excited to make this a part of the girl's trip!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you!! I am excited to make this a part of the girl's trip!
Lugo has a Roman festival every summer. I'm not sure when this summer but you can look it up. I was there last year and it was fab—though it will make finding accomodations tougher if you don't pre-book.

If the timing is right I recommend it!

Lugo has a Roman festival every summer. I'm not sure when this summer but you can look it up. I was there last year and it was fab—though it will make finding accomodations tougher if you don't pre-book.
This is an important heads’ up. Arde Lucus, the annual festival in Lugo, is from June 22-25 this year. It will be hard to get accommodations and everything will be jammed.

Not to sound cynical, but what I saw when I was there was that this was an opportunity for every grown man in Lugo to dress up either as a Roman invader or a hill fort inhabitant and then spend the day drinking. I’m sure there are cultural events going on,too, and I remember seeing a re-enactment of some Roman event in Lugo put on by school children, but for the most part it’s party party party in the streets. Everyone is having a good time, except for the people in the albergues who want to sleep before dawn to get walking!

Thanks! Maybe we'll adjust our one night in Santiago to 2-3 and then wait less time in Sarria for our pilgrims to arrive.
I would definitely spend more time in Santiago than Sarria.... Sarria is one of my least favorite places on the Camino. No quaintness and it's fairly run down... Santiago is just loaded with history, great food, a beautiful cathedral, museums, quaint/local shops, a world class food market [go on Saturday] just fun fun fun

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Are your husbands hiking the camino, then are going to meet you at Sarria? If so, maybe you could meet them at a different point. I think some of the best parts of the Camino are right before Sarria. 6 days before Sarria is Astorga. The Gaudi Palace there is stunning. 5 days before Sarria is Cruz de Ferro and 2 days before Sarria is O Cebreiro. If you are only waiting 3 days at Sarria, then I would start at O Cebriero. There are some uphill stretches after O Cebriero (San Rogue & Alto Poio) but it's pretty much going downhill with spectacular views. You can go here: http://tmanshikes.com/frances-route-videos/ and scroll down to check out my "Up and Over O Cebriero" Video. O Cebreiro starts at the 15 minute mark of the video

Last edited:

I agree with Lugo enjoy the history

Are your husbands hiking the camino, then are going to meet you at Sarria? If so, maybe you could meet them at a different point. I think some of the best parts of the Camino are right before Sarria. 6 days before Sarria is Astorga. The Gaudi Palace there is stunning. 5 days before Sarria is Cruz de Ferro and 2 days before Sarria is O Cebreiro. If you are only waiting 3 days at Sarria, then I would start at O Cebriero. There are some uphill stretches after O Cebriero (San Rogue & Alto Poio) but it's pretty much going downhill with spectacular views. You can go here: http://tmanshikes.com/frances-route-videos/ and scroll down to check out my "Up and Over O Cebriero" Video. O Cebreiro starts at the 15 minute mark of the video
Thank you- they are meeting us in Sarria and our apartment is booked already.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
From a previous post on Sarria:

"If you happen to be there on the right day, there was an open air pulpo fest in a parking lot near our albergue. It was great! Probably 10 huge tents from different seafood companies. Lots of octopus, lots of wine, lots of people enjoying themselves at long tables. It's over by 3 or 4 in the afternoon though. The location is called Campo da Feira, near the top of the hill and close to the Castelo de Sarria. I don't know how often it happens, but it looks like the space is kind of a weekly farmers market anyway."

Attachments

• PulpoPaluzza.mov
    33.1 MB

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back