• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

nervous but excited

Denise Aldridge

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2014 plan to go
hello, I have decided to finally do the walk . I asked all my family and no one wants to do it so I decided I will do it alone. I am single , my children are grown , so if I wait to find a companion I may never go. I am planning on going in Early September 2014. I have only two weeks , and I have to get there in this time as well. I live in Vancouver Canada. I hope to walk for about 10 -12 days . I thought starting in France and walk as far I as can . Then another year start where i ended. Is this a good plan? I like to walk about 20-22 klm a day.. not much more. Any one have suggestions? I have days that I think I am crazy to walk it alone and days that I think of course I can do it. I am nervous for sure....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Denise, I'm originally from Calgary but now live in Minnesota. I'm walking in May-June on my own. By walking alone I thnk I have a greater opportunity of meeting others who are also walking. I like the ideas of the freedom and adventure of doing it alone, but I also love the thought of all the wonderful people I'm going to meet. As they say, even if you walk alone, you're not really alone. I understand that lots of people do the Camino in stages, walking part of the Way one year and then coming back and picking up where they left off. Making that decision for yourself is going to be exciting! Buen Camino. Pennie

Hi Denise, walking alone can be the best way to do it! It affords you a freedom you wouldn't have if you had to consider another person in every decision. Walking with a partner can be great, don't get me wrong, but it is a different experience. You won't be alone for long as long as you look like a pilgrim!
I met lots of people who did two weeks walking every year and loved it. Some had even gone to Santiago, then on to Finisterre, then couldn't figure out what else to do for a holiday - so they started again from St Jean! One lady walking solo told me she made a point of stopping each year's walking in a bar or restaurant, celebrating with a meal and some walking buddies, and then go back there for a meal again the night before she started again the year after. Sounds good to me - making a concrete stopping and starting point, creating an unbroken line. And I bet your pack will be lighter year by year!

Buen camino,
Linda

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Denise, I'm originally from Calgary but now live in Minnesota. I'm walking in May-June on my own. By walking alone I thnk I have a greater opportunity of meeting others who are also walking. I like the ideas of the freedom and adventure of doing it alone, but I also love the thought of all the wonderful people I'm going to meet. As they say, even if you walk alone, you're not really alone. I understand that lots of people do the Camino in stages, walking part of the Way one year and then coming back and picking up where they left off. Making that decision for yourself is going to be exciting! Buen Camino. Pennie

Hi Pennie,

Where are you starting your walk from? and how long is your trip? I want to start in France and walk over the pyrenees, but unsure if this is the best place to start. My daughter is trying to talk me out of it saying I will hate being alone. but you know, if I don't I will never do anything in my life , as I ma alone but the world is out there to live it.. I am 55 lot of living to do yet.

Hi Denise, walking alone can be the best way to do it! It affords you a freedom you wouldn't have if you had to consider another person in every decision. Walking with a partner can be great, don't get me wrong, but it is a different experience. You won't be alone for long as long as you look like a pilgrim!
I met lots of people who did two weeks walking every year and loved it. Some had even gone to Santiago, then on to Finisterre, then couldn't figure out what else to do for a holiday - so they started again from St Jean! One lady walking solo told me she made a point of stopping each year's walking in a bar or restaurant, celebrating with a meal and some walking buddies, and then go back there for a meal again the night before she started again the year after. Sounds good to me - making a concrete stopping and starting point, creating an unbroken line. And I bet your pack will be lighter year by year!

Buen camino,
Linda
thank you... I agree...

Hi Pennie,

Where are you starting your walk from? and how long is your trip? I want to start in France and walk over the pyrenees, but unsure if this is the best place to start. My daughter is trying to talk me out of it saying I will hate being alone. but you know, if I don't I will never do anything in my life , as I ma alone but the world is out there to live it.. I am 55 lot of living to do yet.
Denise, I'm starting in SJPP because it felt like that was the right thing for me. If that's what you want then go for it. The Frances route is the busiest of all the routes and people are going to be around if you want them to be. You will meet up with people for breaks, for meals and when you stop for the evening. You may find someone who walks the same pace and will walk with you for a while. I think if we're open to opportunity and other pilgrims that we're going to have a great time. (I'm 55 too! Yes, there are still lots of things on my bucket list.) Pennie

€149,-
hello, I have decided to finally do the walk . I asked all my family and no one wants to do it so I decided I will do it alone. I am single , my children are grown , so if I wait to find a companion I may never go. I am planning on going in Early September 2014. I have only two weeks , and I have to get there in this time as well. I live in Vancouver Canada. I hope to walk for about 10 -12 days . I thought starting in France and walk as far I as can . Then another year start where i ended. Is this a good plan? I like to walk about 20-22 klm a day.. not much more. Any one have suggestions? I have days that I think I am crazy to walk it alone and days that I think of course I can do it. I am nervous for sure....

Well done for your decision Denise. I walked the Camino Frances alone last year, and 'alone' meant that I walked on my own, with people behind me and up ahead, and with plenty of company from welcoming people in the evenings if I felt inclined (mostly I was inclined!). Walking alone, I had time to dwell on the things that troubled me in my life, and to resolve them. Then there was time to socialize. I also met people along the way that were part of my 'camino family'. Not too many of these as I was a slow walker most of the time, and they all charged way ahead of me. So, Denise, you only have wonderful things to look forward to. Just enjoy the anticipation of the challenge. The camino surprises us with the gift of ourselves. We discover aspects within that we never knew were there. Its a wonderful experience. Buen camino!

I just made the same decision to walk it alone. Why of course we can do this woo hoo

Denise: Just go.
It will be a time of your life. Lifechanging.

My daughter is trying to talk me out of it saying I will hate being alone.
You will not be alone. On the contrary; You are going to bond friendships with better friends than you have today, most likely.

You will most likely meet people on your way that may change your life. Go.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I bought my backpack today... Very exciting.. Does anyone have any information how to get to StJean from gatwick airport? I have been spending hours searching on the web and a little confused. Should I make my way to heathrow ? And get Ryan air? Not sure of the best route. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Denise,
Easyjet from Gatwick to Biarritz, bus from there to Bayonne rail station then to St. Jean or share a taxi. Not been my self but I have been browsing the threads and lots of members have posted times etc, and typical because I am looking I cant find the thread. Hope this helps.

I bought my backpack today... Very exciting.. Does anyone have any information how to get to StJean from gatwick airport? I have been spending hours searching on the web and a little confused. Should I make my way to heathrow ? And get Ryan air? Not sure of the best route. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Denise,

You could take a Eurostar train from St Pancras station to Paris/ Gare de Nord and then another train fromParis/Montparnasse to Bayonne and SJPdP. For more on this and the possibility of flights from London see this Rome2Rio site. When the page loads click the bubbles on the left for further info.

PS As Mitch suggests in the above post here is info for flights on EasyJet to Biarritz from Gatwick.

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola Denise;
I am leaving Vancouver on April 22nd and will fly to Paris and then train to Bayonne. I chose this route as the timing was a little more convenient and it was only a few dollars more if you book early.

Denise,
Easyjet from Gatwick to Biarritz, bus from there to Bayonne rail station then to St. Jean or share a taxi. Not been my self but I have been browsing the threads and lots of members have posted times etc, and typical because I am looking I cant find the thread. Hope this helps.
This one sounds like a good option. Ryan air does not fly from gatwick as I tried ... I forgot about easy jet.. Thank you

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.