• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nervous October Walker seeking advise

Fitzlucy7

fitzlucy7
Time of past OR future Camino
Walked Saint Jean to Pamplona 2013 & Pamplona to Logrona 2014
New to this Forum, My name is Louise & I'm going back to walk my third section of Camino, from Logrona to Burgos, a little nervous because I am walking the last week of October, I'm afraid that the trail will be so quite I wont have company on my way! Has anyone walked this time of year & is it very quite, also I'm bit concerned that it will be cold, I'm hoping just in the morning & at night, any advise welcome! :):(

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
New to this Forum, My name is Louise & I'm going back to walk my third section of Camino, from Logrona to Burgos, a little nervous because I am walking the last week of October, I'm afraid that the trail will be so quite I wont have company on my way! Has anyone walked this time of year & is it very quite, also I'm bit concerned that it will be cold, I'm hoping just in the morning & at night, any advise welcome! :):(

no need to be nervous
There's quite a few pilgrim further back already and by the time you arrive to restart in Logrono your sure to have company.(I have walked in October)
good lightweight windstopper gloves and hat for early starts.. as long as your walking fast enough to keep warm your be fine......nice comfortable fleece for the evenings .

relax no need to be nervous

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Louise, I’ll be walking between Logrono and Burgos in the last week of October, so might see you! It gets chilly in the evenings and mornings, so bring something to keep your ears and hands warm. Jill

You'll be grand :) Don't be afraid to ask if you can join people head out in the mornings at the evening meals the night before or as you walk along. Failing that find out when people are leaving in the mornings and leave at the same time. Most people are more than accommodating and before you know it you will have your own little camino family :)

Clothes wise bring enough light layers for cooler/windier/wetter weather and you should be ok. I brought 1 Icebreaker tshirt and 2 long sleeve Icebreakers plus a fleece hoodie and rain jacket as my upper layers - that way I could just wear a tshirt in hot weather or layer up in cold weather or when hiking early morning. If you use hiking poles consider bringing gloves (or use spare socks!) for cooler mornings but again you may not need them for this particular stretch. I hiked the Camino Frances (SJPdeP to Finisterre) from 1st Sept into early October and also needed my woolie hat and neck buff too on occasion (especially if we left before dawn to beat the heat). Not sure how cold it gets between Logrono to Burgos your time of year but I don't expect it'd be too bad. So long as you have a good outer layer (rain jacket) to keep you dry and protect you from cooler breezy weather you should be grand. One thing I did notice is that when the weather turned cooler/wetter my spare clothes were not always dry the next day. So just bear that in mind when packing. 3 mid layers (tshirt and long sleeve) plus fleece and rain jacket should suffice. Just layer up when cooler.

Also as you get closer to the trip check the long range forecast online for the towns you will be passing through. It will give you a rough idea of the weather and (lowest/highest) temperatures you should expect when you are over there. This is a great website: http://www.accuweather.com/en/es/logrono/308463/october-weather/308463

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
As Irishgurrl said, a "buff" is a great addition. You don't know how much keeping that neck warm will go towards keeping you comfortable in cooler weather.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked this time of year, you'll have plenty of company. It will be cooler-I wore a quarter zip fleece along with a long sleeve shirt. I would also rx full rain gear ie. Jacket, pants, WP footwear, etc. When it rained, it really rained! :)
Buen Camino.

M

Hi Louise, you will not be alone .
Wish you a great journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

no need to be nervous
There's quite a few pilgrim further back already and by the time you arrive to restart in Logrono your sure to have company.(I have walked in October)
good lightweight windstopper gloves and hat for early starts.. as long as your walking fast enough to keep warm your be fine......nice comfortable fleece for the evenings .

relax no need to be nervous

Thank you! Feeling bit more relaxed, I'm laughing because Mountain Goat was a child hood nick name (lived on a hill bit like the waltons)
Funny that my first response came from a user with the same name, Thanks again

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you! Feeling bit more relaxed, I'm laughing because Mountain Goat was a child hood nick name (lived on a hill bit like the waltons)
Funny that my first response came from a user with the same name, Thanks again

Glad you like the name. I was given the name when I climbed Mount cook in New Zealand twice and the name stuck..the 999 part was added by me because I was with a NZ policeman at the time..999 being the name for the UK police

Take care and enjoy your camino
Mountaingoat

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thought I might have something to add because I walked last fall, late September to early November...but everything I would have said to you has already been covered by the above comments. Do not worry...Logrono to Burgos is a nice segment of the Camino, there will be plenty of walkers, and if you are prepared for wet weather, even if you don't have any, you will be more than fine. Last fall was warmer than usual and I carried cold weather clothes all the way from St. Jean until I needed them on November 1, the day I arrived in Santiago. You will have a wonderful time.

Last edited:
Thought I might have something to add because I walked last fall, late September to early November...but everything I would have said to you has already been covered by the above comments. Do not worry...Logrono to Burgos is a nice segment of the Camino, there will be plenty of walkers, and if you are prepared for wet weather, even if you don't have any, you will be more than fine. Last fall was warmer than usual and I carried cold weather clothes all the way from St. Jean until I needed them until November 1, the day I arrived in Santiago. You will have a wonderful time.

Thanks Marylynn, I'm hoping that I might be blessed with good weather (I'm coming from Ireland & a week away from rain would be so lovely), I will come prepared though, thanks for the words of
encouragement :)

You'll be grand :) Don't be afraid to ask if you can join people head out in the mornings at the evening meals the night before or as you walk along. Failing that find out when people are leaving in the mornings and leave at the same time. Most people are more than accommodating and before you know it you will have your own little camino family :)

Clothes wise bring enough light layers for cooler/windier/wetter weather and you should be ok. I brought 1 Icebreaker tshirt and 2 long sleeve Icebreakers plus a fleece hoodie and rain jacket as my upper layers - that way I could just wear a tshirt in hot weather or layer up in cold weather or when hiking early morning. If you use hiking poles consider bringing gloves (or use spare socks!) for cooler mornings but again you may not need them for this particular stretch. I hiked the Camino Frances (SJPdeP to Finisterre) from 1st Sept into early October and also needed my woolie hat and neck buff too on occasion (especially if we left before dawn to beat the heat). Not sure how cold it gets between Logrono to Burgos your time of year but I don't expect it'd be too bad. So long as you have a good outer layer (rain jacket) to keep you dry and protect you from cooler breezy weather you should be grand. One thing I did notice is that when the weather turned cooler/wetter my spare clothes were not always dry the next day. So just bear that in mind when packing. 3 mid layers (tshirt and long sleeve) plus fleece and rain jacket should suffice. Just layer up when cooler.

Also as you get closer to the trip check the long range forecast online for the towns you will be passing through. It will give you a rough idea of the weather and (lowest/highest) temperatures you should expect when you are over there. This is a great website: http://www.accuweather.com/en/es/logrono/308463/october-weather/308463

Hope that helps!

Wow! thanks for the tips, my worry was that unlike my past two trips the Camino would be sparse with people but I'm getting the impression I was wrong, I'll check out the weather closer to the time but who knows I might be lucky, unfortunately cant control the weather :(, but I will be prepared!
I am hoping I might find a hostel along the Way that I can do laundry, I didn't have that problem last two years because I went during the Summer so I used to hand wash stuff every evening & they were dry by morning, its definitely going to prove more challenging going in late October but I'm looking forward to that, thanks for your advise ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Louise.... after a few days, you'd be laughing at yourself for being nervous. It will happen... you're on THE CAMINO. Good boots and socks, rain jacket, sleeping bag is what I'll say... the rest is really all detail. Yes, warm cap of course. I will be on the CF myself but going to a bit after Leon and walking from there. You'll love the Camino as I certainly do. Buen Camino, Sister

Hello, Louise, I'm on the Camino now, taking a rest day in Pamplona. Not to worry! There are plenty of people on the Camino, both ahead of us and behind. They'll be reaching your section about the time you start. Bring layers of clothes -- chilly mornings, warm afternoons. And, yes, a buff and rain jacket. It's a great time to be here! Buen Camino!!

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back