• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New edition of guidebook to Via Francigena

andycohn

Time of past OR future Camino
See signature
The Italian publisher, Terre di Mezzo, has just come out with a new, 3rd edition of its excellent guidebook in English on the Via Francigena, covering the section from the Swiss border to Rome.

When we walked this two years ago I found the Terre di Mezzo guide to be the most useful -- logistics-wise -- of all the guidebooks available. Excellent, clear maps and good nitty-gritty information on the trail itself, transit connections, etc. (Supplement it, or any guidebook, with Gronze.com, however, for the most comprehensive lodgings information).

If you're not in the EU, the shipping charge is exorbitant if you order directly from the publisher, so I would suggest ordering it from ibs.it, Italy's largest book-seller. Here's the link: https://www.ibs.it/the-via-francige...1464?queryId=cc9392e6a9e187f7d72de48f24c82607.

Btw, Amazon does not yet have it on its web site. Only the 2nd edition, from 2018, is available from Amazon, at least in the US.

(And no knock on Sandy Brown's and Paul Chinn's also excellent guidebooks. I just found the Terre di Mezzo guide to be the one I consulted most while on the trail).

No e-edition yet.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Does this author have a book covering the first half from Canterbury to the Great St. Bernard Pass? I searched the ibs.it site and did not see one. I am hoping to hike from Canterbury to just past the St Bernard pass, probably Aosta this coming year and then finish the following year. Thank you

Unfortunately not. For that section you'll have to rely on the appropriate volumes of either (or both) Sandy Brown's guidebook, published by Cicerone Press, or Paul Chinn's Lightfoot guide, from Pilgrimage Publications. Both are available in e-editions. Chinn's book is the more detailed, but to get the more general descriptive information you'll find in Sandy Brown's book, you'll need to also get Chinn's companion volume.

The official Via Francigena app also includes the first half. As of now, Gronze only covers the second half.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back