Search 69,459 Camino Questions

new idea: Irun to Saint Jean

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Kanga

Veteran Member
Jun 2, 2005
Sydney, Australia
www.jillhill.com.au
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
Certainly the GR's are a great way to go, usually well signposted and with plenty of guidebooks - in French but we still find them usable. I recommend the "Gites de France" App for finding accommodation anywhere in France - usually look up in wifi zones and book ahead.

peregrina2000

Staff member
Mar 6, 2006
Champaign, Illinois, USA
I know that you are looking to get a 1,000 km route into Santiago, and I wonder if the crossing of the Pyrenees is crucial. Because there are two routes (both of them have some posts in a different section) -- the Vasco Interior (start in Irun) and the Baztan (start in Bayonne), which could be used to add some kms. But they would avoid the St. Jean-Roncesvalles passing. Have you thought of those possibilities? Or maybe you could walk the Baztan into Eunate/Puente la Reina, and then go back to Pamplona and over to St. jean and start up walking again? This may be crazy, I'm just trying to find sme alternatives where you will have albergues and good distances. Check out the Baztan: camino-baztan/topic16876.html

camino-baztan/topic12765.html

Good luck with this planning! Laurie

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

naplesdon

Veteran Member
Jul 14, 2012
Vanderbilt Beach and Estoril
Multiple Caminos 2010 to 2019
If your goal is to see some of the Pyrennes, walk 1000km and get to Santiago here's an idea:
GR-10 from Hendaye to Borce = 215km
GR - 653 and Camino Aragones from Borce to Logrono = 235km
Chemin de St. Jacques from Logrono to Santiago = 630km
Total distance = 1080km.

albinvega

Apr 23, 2013
Not well known events in history, circa WW2, are related to the Baztan Route that may be of interest to some walkers.

During the period 1941-1944, several hundred Allied aviators who had been "downed" over occupied Europe successfully crossed the Pyrenees to reach relative safety in "neutral" Spain and thence onwards to Gibraltar and back home to England.

These men were only able to reach southern France from the Netherlands, Belgium and northern France through the efforts of several "Escape Lines" specializing in secretly and safely moving "Evaders" south without them being captured by the Gestapo.

One of the most successful escape/evasion organizations was known as the "Comet Escape Line" which was founded in Belgium and moved their airmen over the Pyrenees at various locations between St. Jean Pied de Port and Bayonne. They are credited with guiding 200+ Allied evaders over the mountains at those locations with 50% of the men using a route from Bayonne, through or near villages/towns such as Ustaritz, Larressore, Espelette, Souraide, Ainhoa, Dancharia, Urdax, Elizondo, then onwards south or towards San Sebastian where they were "rescued" by British Consulate officials from Madrid.

Should anyone be interested in learning more about the significance of the "Baztan Route" and its connection to evading airmen, they can access additional information through http://www.cometekinshipbelgium.be or http://www.evasioncomete.be. (and several other sites which can be accessed with a Google of "Comet(e) Line")

In particular, there are two articles on those websites which describe in detail the two main routes used by the "Comet Line": the Classic Route, via St. Jean de Luz; or the Alternative Route via the villages noted above and then south down the Baztan Valley.

While this post is not specifically related to the Camino Baztan/Frances, I thought it might pique the interest of those considering the Camino Baztan and add an extra dimension to the journey of anyone who finds themselves walking the route from Bayonne to Pamplona.

Buen Camino to All,

Geoff

naplesdon

Veteran Member
Jul 14, 2012
Vanderbilt Beach and Estoril
Multiple Caminos 2010 to 2019
Goeff,
The Basque people have an incredible history of supporting the underground networks during WWII. After Hitler's and Mussolini's bombers descimated the defenseless market towns of Guernica and Durango in daytime air raids the Basque understood that they were at war with the alliance Franco wanted to forge with Germany. Franco went futher and outlawed the Euskadi language and summarily imprisoned and shot many of its political leader at the time. St. Jean de Luz was at the epicenter of getting enemy combatants across to safety. There are two fine books about the history of the Basque people by Mark Kurlansky; one is The Basque History of the World and the other is Cod: The Biography of the Fish that Changed the World. The Basque have a mysterious and ancient culture and much to be proud of in the past 4 or 5 millennium.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

albinvega

Apr 23, 2013
Yes, Don, the Basque people have an incredible history which I have come to know through my research hobby concerning the escape lines to which I referred in my post. I will track down the books you noted to further my education, thank you.

At the risk of hi-jacking "Kiwi's" thread, through my times spent in the region of Bayonne, Irun, San Sebastian, Espelette, the Baztan, etc., I have had the pleasure of meeting many Basques -both urban and rural. A few of them were offspring of the guides working with the Comete Line during WW2 to lead evading airmen (including more than a few Kiwis) over the mountains and the Franco/Spanish border and all had fascinating tales to relate of their ancestors' adventures.

Absolutely delightful and hospitable folks (notwithstanding some language issues) who are obviously and rightfully proud of their heritage. A beautiful part of the world with the Baztan Route being a viable and interesting alternative to the SJPdPort to Pamplona portion of the Camino Frances.

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
May 3, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
solowalk2020.travel.blog
walking every day for the rest of my life
Now there are some ideas!
The only desired "set in stone" bits are 1,000km (give or take), preferably be in Pamplona at some stage to meet more of the family, and probably to do del Salvador and Primitivo rather than Frances from Leon.
Booking ahead scares me more than just turning up to see what is available, but everyone seems to talk of booking ahead in France. My French vocab stops at about 100 words (only foreign languages are German and Polish, and Swedish that I studied at university but have forgotten - and will have a year's worth of Spanish under my belt by then) Oh, and I hate telephones! Even in English. Not even sure I will be carrying a mobile. Probably not.

But some wonderful ideas to look at today. Thanks. I appreciate the knowledge I'm gleaning from you guys.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Kiwi-family

May 3, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
solowalk2020.travel.blog
I love how you guys can think out of the box!

Laurie I explored the idea of the Camino Baztan - EXCELLENT!

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los ... /baztanes/

It would be easy enough to get a taxi (or is there some other way?) from Pamplona back to St Jean and then walk from there.....with the del Salvador and Primitivo routes it would come in at 1008km. Perfect.

And I like the fact that the first day of a WALK FOR WATER would be walking alongside the river...and hopefully we'd have time at the end to head out to the other big water!

Then there are the pretty maps;-)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Kiwi-family

May 3, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
solowalk2020.travel.blog
Any reason to NOT do this route backwards?
It would make so much sense to take the bus from Barcelona to Pamplona, then walk to Bayonne and take the train from there to St Jean. They we'd be away laughing!
KiwiNomad, I dare you to tell me what's wrong with this :wink: Surely it's as pretty as Le Puy!

peregrina2000

Staff member
Mar 6, 2006
Champaign, Illinois, USA
Now, don't get carried away, Rachel -- walking a solitary camino is one thing, but walking it backwards could be real lunacy. :) (sorry to add that smiley icon, just don't want anyone to think I'm insulting you).

I'll hope that someone who has walked the Baztan will chime in here, but I have walked a fair number of un-travelled caminos and even when the marking is good, I think walking backwards would be really tough. What people usually say who walk backwards on the frances, is that when in doubt, they just sit for a minute or two and wait till the next "forward walking" pilgrim comes through. You won't get that on the Baztan.

But if you don't like the idea of taking much transportation, it would be easy to walk backwards from Eunate to Pamplona and then your only wheeled transportation would be the hop over the Pyrenees to St. Jean. I don't think that Bayonne to St. Jean is any shorter than Pamplona to St. Jean, but Im just guessing here. And depending on the time of year there is a bus.

Keep on planning, mama! Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Kanga

Veteran Member
Jun 2, 2005
Sydney, Australia
www.jillhill.com.au
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
Don't be put off by having to book accommodation in France - one day ahead is usually fine. We booked from day to day. The Chambre d'hotes (B&B) or Gites owners very happy to make the phone calls for us - we don't speak French. We could get the message across in person.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides