• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SAINT-JEAN (1st Day) failure rate 40%?!

Time of past OR future Camino
(2017)
Greetings, I have read and watched in the neighborhood of about fifty hours of material regarding the Camino and each time I learn something new. A frequent mention of the first day is "it's hard, but you'll be fine!" coupled with a recent video of a young couple half my age huffing and puffing , clearly in good shape saying how demanding it is. This made me really wonder and all the more so when I encountered a very thoughtful video by a woman in her fifties stating the drop out rate for the first day is FORTY PERCENT? Is that right?

So my questions are:
1.What happens if you reach a point and you can't go on? It seems that a good part of the way you are next to a road. Do taxis hunt for ailing hikers and carry them forward?

2. Water. I go through a lot of water, and of course more water means more weight. At the most I can find it says that water on the first day is available but sparsely available. That's not really helpful.

If you have answers to either of these questions I'd be most grateful.

Here is the video:

start at :24:28

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Greetings, I have read and watched in the neighborhood of about fifty hours of material regarding the Camino and each time I learn something new. A frequent mention of the first day is "it's hard, but you'll be fine!" coupled with a recent video of a young couple half my age huffing and puffing , clearly in good shape saying how demanding it is. This made me really wonder and all the more so when I encountered a very thoughtful video by a woman in her fifties stating the drop out rate for the first day is FORTY PERCENT? Is that right?

So my questions are:
1.What happens if you reach a point and you can't go on? It seems that a good part of the way you are next to a road. Do taxis hunt for ailing hikers and carry them forward?

2. Water. I go through a lot of water, and of course more water means more weight. At the most I can find it says that water on the first day is available but sparsely available. That's not really helpful.

Sorry @Dov of the Galilee . But 40% is total rubbish.
It might be 1-2% at most. Perhaps it was 40% of 'her' group?

1. If you needed a taxi prior to reaching the top, one from St Jean could reach you still via road.
But you are then off road for a few kms. Coming down the otherside you would need to call one from Burgette? I have never seen anyone need one though.

2. You can top up water at Hunto, Orrison (and maybe Borda) and at just past the 'top' at the French/Spanish border, where there is a tap.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It might be 1-2% at most. Perhaps it was 40% of 'her' group?

1. If you needed a taxi prior to reaching the top, one from St Jean could reach you still via road.
But you are then off road for a few kms. Coming down the otherside you would need to call one from Burgette? I have never seen anyone need one though.

2. You can top up water at Hunto, Orrison (and maybe Borda) and at just past the 'top' at the French/Spanish border, where there is a tap.
Robo is bang on. No chance at all of 40%. The odd person maybe. It’s a strenuous day at most for most people. Even those who are unfit seem to do it with few issues. In fact I am never heard of anyone ‘failing’ though sure they exist.

Compare this to Everest Base where 5 of us started, 2 finished and 1 person had to be airlifted out, and Killimanjaoro where a number of people were stretchered down.

Enjoy and relax and don’t believe the hype!!

I did found that the first day was really a nice walk. On some parts a bit demanding, but in average not too bad!
The Montes de León were harder to me, but it was above 30°C that days.
It is more a question of the mind and the will-power than a question of training or condition.

Keep your mind off those irritating questions and just walk. Maybe that's the secret ;)

If you have concerns - plenty of people pre-arrange to split the day from SJPdP to Roncesvalles - either staying at Orrission/Borda or pre-booking a taxi pick-up and shuttling back down to SJPdP and then returning in the morning.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I watched a video from a guy on youtube a few years back (can't find it right now) in which was explained how energy expenditure per km walked changes depending on your velocity.
That said, i am a very decent walker but i huffed and puffed as well. But then, i walk quite fast and have no problem huffing and puffing. So if you see some fit young people appearing to have a hard time, this might have other reasons. Maybe they carry a lot of weight. Maybe they walk a lot faster than is good for them. Maybe they are wasting energy by talking into a camera for their youtube video. ;-)
Or maybe they are fit and good at a sport that does not translate well into hiking.

Still, the walk from St.Jean to Roncesvalles is not impossible but also no walk in the park. Slow yourself. Don't let yourself be pulled by faster hikers. Make frequent breaks. Hydrate. While there may be some people having to give up on that day, the overwhelming majority makes it.

Spot on -- though the SJPP to Pamplona stretch is likely to have the highest rate of people abandoning, from realising it's not for them. Nowhere near 40% though !!

It was maybe 5% to 10% abandoning in the early 1990s, when the whole mass phenomenon started despite this being more difficult and a lot less comfortable than nowadays -- there were anyway noticeably fewer pilgrims after Pamplona than before, and "skipping" sections by bus generally wasn't part of anyone's Camino plan back in those days.

Most starting out in the 2020s do have a far better notion of what they're in for, plus kit has generally become lighter and easier to carry.

Last edited:
Even those who are unfit seem to do it with few issues. In fact I am never heard of anyone ‘failing’ though sure they exist.
Now and again I read a local newspaper or Twitter report about the bomberos being called out to pick up someone who has run out of steam on the way. But that is a fairly rare event. The idea that 40% of walkers fail to reach Roncesvalles sounds as if it comes from the same school of thought which regularly posts online that staying in Orisson is "essential" and walking all the way to Roncesvalles in a single day is "impossible" - the thinking seems to be that 'If I personally cannot do it then it cannot be done by anyone...' :rolleyes:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you doubt if walking drom SjdP to Roncesvalles is too hard, you can split this walk very easily and stay in Orisson or Borda. Even if you can easily walk all the way splitting this stage has advantages : more time and ( mental) energy to enjoy the mountainscenery

So my questions are:

Here is the video:

I walk incredibly slowly so I don’t know if there is any relation or advice around that. When I have hiked at high altitude (above 4k metres) you are advised to go very slowly. Poley, poley it’s called in some parts of the world. Have come across some folks who can’ resist to walk at altitude at pace and have ended up collapsing and being stretchered down. Obv day one not that highly not of anyone has any thoughts…

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Have come across some folks who can’ resist to walk at altitude at pace and have ended up collapsing and being stretchered down. Obv day one not that highly not of anyone has any thoughts…
The Route Napoleon barely reaches 1400m. Not high enough for any real altitude effects to kick in. People who are unprepared may struggle with the steep initial climb out of SJPDP or the distance but oxygen levels are not going to be a significant problem.

I think her 40% stat may be a misunderstanding of those that register in SJPdP versus those that collect a Compostela after walking the Camino Frances without considering that not everyone chooses to receive the end document or that some plan to only walk a portion of the route. In any case, it’s absolutely not true

The Route Napoleon barely reaches 1400m. Not high enough for any real altitude effects to kick in. People who are unprepared may struggle with the steep initial climb out of SJPDP or the distance but oxygen levels are not going to be a significant problem.
Thank you. I wasn’t sure if it could be a factor at all. Thank you for clarifying!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have story I tell about a 50% failure rate. One year I invited a very fit, healthy friend of mine from Biarritz to walk from SJPdP to Orisson on my first day. He walks long beach walks in Biarritz every morning and would joke with me about how I huff and puff walking along with him. About halfway up to Orisson, he started questioning me about the accuracy of the distance, then when we hit the cut-off that exits the road and go straight up dirt path; he said he had had enough. I said, but you are almost there. He did not believe me and sat down to hail the first passing car to head back to where he had parked his car in Saint Jean.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Whether it is doable to walk from SjdP to Roncesvalles depends on one's condition. Perhaps a more relevant question is if you WANT to do it in one day. Why walking in one push through this mountainrange, certainly if it is a big effort. Taking it more easy makes it a more enjoyable walk. ( of course if everybody would split this stage, this would lead to logistical problems concerning accomodation)

I would suggest the biggest 'drop out' percentage is on reaching Burgos.
It's about 12-14 days in for most people and about 280 kms?
Those who started out too fast and too long (kms / day), will often 'break down' by Burgos.
Yes actually, some of these traveler couple videos on YT of the knarly touch and go hikes from St JPdP to Roncesvalles seem to end up adopting an alternative method of travel from around Burgos to nearer to Santiago de C - mostly claiming lack of time or the need to make it "your" Camino.
Obviously, there are a lot of amazing genuine videos though of people who are doing it for more than getting likes, and of course some with genuine reasons for stopping or missing stages.

Those who started out too fast and too long (kms / day), will often 'break down' by Burgos.
Personally, I would say it might be Pamplona. A few gruelling days across the Pyrenees and then the prospect of Alto del Perdon. I'm out of here!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yeah, I only did the Valcarlos in my car driving to pick someone up at the airport in Pamplona. BTW, there was day many, many years ago when Robo was walking the road in the rain and I drove right past him. I only realized it was him from his itinerary a day later and his desire not to do the "slate dragon" down to Zubiri in the rain. I would have loved to have helped him out but he was soaked to the bone and I was in a rush to get to the airport.

I’m at Orisson now. This is my first Camino. Before I left, I did a search on how long it takes to get to Orisson. The synopsis was 2:30 to 3:00. I’m 74. One blogger said it took them 7 hours! I left earlier than I planned, expecting a more difficult day. Less than 3 hours later, I arrived. Difficult? It’s a climb, but not as treacherous as some depict. There are older people here; people who appear not in shape. A family of four, mom, dad, 3 year old, and infant in a stroller, with a dog. They made it. So can you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It's a steep day, but even fat, old, out of shape me made it by breaking at Orrison for the first night. You can do it!

I remember watching another forum member's video blog where he kept saying he was sure he was near the top as he puffed and chugged along and of course he was no where near. The worst part of the journey for me was going down the other side taking the "gentler" route which was still pretty hard on my already sore knees!

SJPdP to Orrisson less than 7km so about
90 mns and I am not a Spring chicken
4 hours to Roncevales and there for Lunch before Alberge opens, at least 4 water points on way so no need to bring more than 1 litre. Off the 400 pilgrims who start 350 will get to RONCEVALLES.
Only about 50 beds on Roncevalles. Get mountain fit and enjoy

So my questions are:

Here is the video:

The first day is a shock as the climb is immediate and steep. Unless you are very fit better to stay at Orisson or get a taxi back to SJPP and back up next morning. I find it very hard to believe the drop out rate is as high as you say.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

So my questions are:

Here is the video:

The road ends about five miles passed the last lodging. Failure is not an option, return or push on. You can begin your pilgrimage anywhere, it isn't failure to begin somewhere other than SJPP. Sarria for example. Pilgrimages can be difficult, enjoy what you learn don't feel you have failed by trying.

After Huunto, there is a chioce of continuing on the road or going upa trail off road. If the trail is taken, it brings you to the top of a hill where, no far, there is a ceramic map of the valley in front of you. Now, turn around and look for a telephone pole. There is a water tap at the base of that pole.

When you reach the Iron Cross, the trail leaves the road. From there, it is about 10 km walking to Roncesvalles and there is a fountain about 2 km from the road that is now behind you. Prepare to take as much water as you will need to go the next 8 km.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Route Napoleon barely reaches 1400m. Not high enough for any real altitude effects to kick in.
eh, not for typical healthy people, but a sudden +1,400 metre elevation shift plus general atmospheric change for those living in urban environments and a sudden shift from sedentary to ambulatory life from near sea level to some heights can sometimes be a shock !!

the drop out rate for the first day is FORTY PERCENT? Is that right?
I think her 40% stat may be a misunderstanding of those that register in SJPdP versus those that collect a Compostela after walking the Camino Frances without considering that not everyone chooses to receive the end document or that some plan to only walk a portion of the route.
I think that @Vacajoe is correct. In the past, I have heard such a statistic tossed about - that XX% of people starting in SJPP can be expected to reach Santiago 1-2 months later. But to suggest that 40% of people quit because of the difficulty of that first stage is very misleading.

Any reasonably healthy person should be able to do it, one step at a time, as long as they go slowly, don't try to talk with people while on the steep parts, and don't try to keep up with others. If anyone is nervous about it, this is one stage where I would recommend that they send some of their backpack contents by transport, and walk with a lighter load. However, wear your good backpack with a lighter load - do NOT walk with a flimsy little travel pack.

The stage from SJPP to Roncesvalles is a challenging first day, and if people are ill prepared, their troubles may begin on the first day. (Packs that are too heavy, shoes that are inappropriate, jet lag and travel fatigue, etc.) but certainly, 40% do not drop out in Roncesvalles.

€149,-
Exactly the reason not to watch all those vlogs or read the plethora of blogs out there. Too much worrying or built up expectations before you go.

I live below sea level where the biggest incline I have near my house is up and down a dune to reach the beach, a whopping 40 meters! I've done it at 53 and 61 without a problem, even to Roncesvalles.

My advice, lay off YouTube 😉

So my questions are:

Here is the video:

It’s one step at a time

I think the percentage is way off...but I am also one of those people that failed and bailed on my first day. I had flown in the day before from Toronto and was more jetlagged than I realized. I was dead by the time I reached Orisson and it took me an hour to eat my tortilla. I asked the staff to call a taxi for me to take me to Roncesvalles and a gentleman who was also having a rough day joined me on the ride. In the taxi the gent was beating himself pretty badly about not being able to make it the first day and I said that I had given myself permission to fail along the way and especially the first day. We both made it to Santiago in the end.

The two 70 year old gents I had walked with earlier in the morning had made it up and over without much trouble although they did run into a brief hail storm.

The only videos I watched prior were videos that showed the entire routes for the day (sped up obviously) with no inane chatter. I am not a fan of the YouTuber style vlogs.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I believe the key to making it across the Pyrenees and all the way to Santiago free of injury and pain is to walk the Camino like a 10 year old. I say that because I walked with my 10 year old Grandson this summer from SJPP to Santiago. I’m 65 and this was my third Camino Francis, the most recent past was September 2022. I trained, he did not. This is the first Camino I walked with no knee pain, no injury, and virtually little other muscle pain. Yes, we were exhausted many days by late afternoon, but always fully recovered every day for 38 days of walking.

How does a ten year old walk? In the moment AND in utter awe of their surroundings. They stop to examine the black slug crossing the road, touch the red poppies swaying in the wind, take photos of bees landing on flowers and gasp at the view of the valleys far below. They sip their water continually, find any excuse for a snack break and greet every other pilgrim with a smile and a few words of friendship. Every body of water must be examined more closely for signs of fish and bars more closely for signs of ice cream. Ancient trees must be hugged and lively conversations had at tables laden with tortillas and Aquarius. Churches are there to walk in to, and one has to stand just inside the entrance to fully take in the magnificence before more closely examining all the nooks and crannies. And, of course, a 10 year old always lights a candle. Every Local is greeted with “Ola”, shop windows are peeked into, cats patted, and it is a must to stop at the center of every bridge to stare at the beauty of the water flowing below (and always, always look for signs of fish).

On the first day out from SJPP, we left after breakfast about 9am and arrived at Orrison so early, we sat for a couple hours enjoying the view and eating, then pushed on a bit further to Borda for a delightful sleep. When we huffed and puffed (which was much of that first day), we sat down for a break and a laugh for a few minutes and then pushed on. Several small snacks were included because 10 year olds also eat with abandon! The next day we walked to Orrison with many fascinating stops along the way as one tends to do with a 10 year old companion.

We encountered many very fit pilgrims with injuries, exhaustion and severe blisters along the way. They were always in awe of the 10 year old with no blisters, un-ending energy and pure joy. My advice: walk like a 10 year old.

Many of us probably felt this excitement (see attachment below) on our first day of our Camino and held ourselves back. Ten year olds not so much…he only slowed down to see if I was coming and so I joined him…laughing all the way down.

Attachments

• IMG_8455.mov
    14.8 MB
I agree with @Robo
Yes I saw people huffing and puffing, it's a big hill. It's very doable unless you are really out of condition.

Strongly agree: It's doable! One step at a time!

When I did the walk on the Napoleon route in late April, 2017. I had to stop and rest every 10 to 20 steps. I introduced myself to the hikers passing by that "I'm snail, a snail on the trail". Some joked that they were tortoises on the trail.

I started the walk at 7:30 in the morning and reached the Albergue around 5:00 in the afternoon. Then had a dinner with delicious grilled fresh trout in a restaurant in the Albergue. (Note: I used luggage transfer service to take care of the backpack.)

While lining up for registering at the Albergue, the many people overtook me on the trail was just few spots in front of me. I said to myself that I wasn't too late. :)

Drinking water was not an issue for me.

So my questions are:

Here is the video:

I enjoyed her video as well.

The benefit of training at home before your Camino is that you can resolve your health issues with your local doctor, rest, recover, then train some more. All the effort that you put into training at home will result in less injuries on the Camino.

There is so much more to the Camino than sore feet! Why would you want to miss out on all the great Camino experiences because of injuries?

-Paul

I believe the key to making it across the Pyrenees and all the way to Santiago free of injury and pain is to walk the Camino like a 10 year old. I say that because I walked with my 10 year old Grandson this summer from SJPP to Santiago. I’m 65 and this was my third Camino Francis, the most recent past was September 2022. I trained, he did not. This is the first Camino I walked with no knee pain, no injury, and virtually little other muscle pain. Yes, we were exhausted many days by late afternoon, but always fully recovered every day for 38 days of walking.

How does a ten year old walk? In the moment AND in utter awe of their surroundings. They stop to examine the black slug crossing the road, touch the red poppies swaying in the wind, take photos of bees landing on flowers and gasp at the view of the valleys far below. They sip their water continually, find any excuse for a snack break and greet every other pilgrim with a smile and a few words of friendship. Every body of water must be examined more closely for signs of fish and bars more closely for signs of ice cream. Ancient trees must be hugged and lively conversations had at tables laden with tortillas and Aquarius. Churches are there to walk in to, and one has to stand just inside the entrance to fully take in the magnificence before more closely examining all the nooks and crannies. And, of course, a 10 year old always lights a candle. Every Local is greeted with “Ola”, shop windows are peeked into, cats patted, and it is a must to stop at the center of every bridge to stare at the beauty of the water flowing below (and always, always look for signs of fish).

On the first day out from SJPP, we left after breakfast about 9am and arrived at Orrison so early, we sat for a couple hours enjoying the view and eating, then pushed on a bit further to Borda for a delightful sleep. When we huffed and puffed (which was much of that first day), we sat down for a break and a laugh for a few minutes and then pushed on. Several small snacks were included because 10 year olds also eat with abandon! The next day we walked to Orrison with many fascinating stops along the way as one tends to do with a 10 year old companion.

We encountered many very fit pilgrims with injuries, exhaustion and severe blisters along the way. They were always in awe of the 10 year old with no blisters, un-ending energy and pure joy. My advice: walk like a 10 year old.

Many of us probably felt this excitement (see attachment below) on our first day of our Camino and held ourselves back. Ten year olds not so much…he only slowed down to see if I was coming and so I joined him…laughing all the way down.
This👌💯

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Do I need to cancel my Orisson reservation and re-plan? I feel I am taking the easy route.
The Valcarlos route is the alternate route to the Napoleon route. It is still challenging route, but you can stay at Valcarlos halfway instead of only Orrison or Borda a quarter way into the journey to Roncesvalles. I would chose that way if I walk again from SJPDP to experience something different. I am told it is a lovely walk through mostly wooded areas.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

So my questions are:

Here is the video:

I have been over the Pyrenees five times and it’s always a challenge. I have NEVER seen or heard of someone quitting, mainly because other pilgrims will encourage , help carry and support with water or food anybody in distress. My young son and I have put an arm under the arms of an exhausted Spanish schoolteacher and carried and sang her to the top where her group was waiting.

Yeah, I only did the Valcarlos in my car driving to pick someone up at the airport in Pamplona. BTW, there was day many, many years ago when Robo was walking the road in the rain and I drove right past him. I only realized it was him from his itinerary a day later and his desire not to do the "slate dragon" down to Zubiri in the rain. I would have loved to have helped him out but he was soaked to the bone and I was in a rush to get to the airport.

And I was carting along a half drowned very grumpy teddy bear :(
That was an interesting day :rolleyes:
And I'm sure your helpful 'vibes' kept us going....

So my questions are:

Here is the video:

1. It's not a race. Rest when you need to. It's quite doable.
2. Check with the Pilgrim's office at SJPP to be sure the weather will be good. Otherwise, take the Val Carlos route.
3. Many people walk to Roncesvalles the first day, take the shuttle (arranged at the office near the Pilgrim's office) back to SJPP for the night, then take the shuttle back to Roncesvalles the next morning. Very helpful if you can't get reservations in Orisson or Borda.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
the Napoleon route in late April, 2017. I had to stop and rest every 10 to 20 steps.
I, too, felt like I had to stop every 10-20 steps. People were very kind and supportive as my lungs were on fire climbing at an altitude they were ill-prepared for. Offers to carry my pack, or walk with me, or give me water (which I had plenty of), were abundant, as I leaned on my walking poles, gasping to try to catch my breath. And then a woman about my age (60’ish), came along with her 80+ year-old father and told me, poco-poco (little-by-little), and we leap frogged one another to Orrison, on day 1, stopping often, and then Roncesvalles on day 2, and I suspect, they, too, made it to Santiago. It’s hard, but doable, and by the time I got to the climb up to O Cebreiro, it was a climb, but easy by comparison. I’d gotten accustomed to both the climbing and the altitude. I knew it would be hard, and it was, but I never considered quitting.

1. It's not a race. Rest when you need to. It's quite doable.
2. Check with the Pilgrim's office at SJPP to be sure the weather will be good. Otherwise, take the Val Carlos route.
3. Many people walk to Roncesvalles the first day, take the shuttle (arranged at the office near the Pilgrim's office) back to SJPP for the night, then take the shuttle back to Roncesvalles the next morning. Very helpful if you can't get reservations in Orisson or Borda.

Buen Camino!

I think you mean get the shuttle back from Orisson?
If you reach Roncesvalles, why would you go back to St Jean ;)

I am aged 63, reasonably fit and found SJPP to Roncesvalles quite doable. Walked at a speed I was comfortable with, made regular stops to enjoy the views/take photos. Had sufficient water though in mid May temperature/dehydration was not an issue. The main thing was - I had my backpack sent ahead to Roncesvalles. With a 11kg back pack it would probably have made the journey more difficult and less enjoyable for me. I could appreciate more the beauty of the landscape around me.I felt the walking took priority over carrying a heavy backpack.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am aged 63, reasonably fit and found SJPP to Roncesvalles quite doable. Walked at a speed I was comfortable with, made regular stops to enjoy the views/take photos. Had sufficient water though in mid May temperature/dehydration was not an issue. The main thing was - I had my backpack sent ahead to Roncesvalles. With a 11kg back pack it would probably have made the journey more difficult and less enjoyable for me. I could appreciate more the beauty of the landscape around me.I felt the walking took priority over carrying a heavy backpack.
The earlier the start the better...while there's must and it's cool ..

Doesn't anyone remember this old joke?

How do you get to Carnegie Hall (Santiago)? PRACTICE!

-Paul

So my questions are:

Here is the video:

Please don’t worry too much about the first day. There are some steep bits but it is mainly a long upward slog. Just take your time, stop and enjoy the views!
Within two weeks you will be running up such steep stretches!
Good luck and Buen Camino!

About halfway up to Orisson, he started questioning me about the accuracy of the distance, then when we hit the cut-off that exits the road and go straight up dirt path; he said he had had enough. I said, but you are almost there.

I’ve seen that detour on videos/tv programmes.

When we walked, it was by the road all the way to Orisson.
I imagine it‘s still possible to take the road, but by how much does the dirt track shorten the route?
Thanks!

I do find many of the videos/docus online are made to be dramatic for obvious reasons - you can normally tell what's what though.
This has given me a great idea to try and boost my fundraising efforts via some social media strategising (not sure if thats an actual word) - is anyone available with a snow machine who could meet me at the top of the Napolean route (probably about 11am 25th Sept)?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Please don’t worry too much about the first day. There are some steep bits but it is mainly a long upward slog. Just take your time, stop and enjoy the views!
Within two weeks you will be running up such steep stretches!
Good luck and Buen Camino!
You won't meet that long steep stretches though

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

So my questions are:

Here is the video:

I made it through my second Camino (but not my first) and my second was successful because I learned a few lessons:

1. Drink water constantly
2. EAT. I have a hard time keeping with Spain's eating schedule, so I had to sacrifice clothes to bring some Gu and fast snacks. I found the first time I was spending too much time in caloric deficit leaving me exhausted and ill.
3. Pack light. I really didn't need five pairs of shorts. The second time I walked I brought the bare minimum - a skirt, shorts, leggings, two shirts, long sleeve shirt, two pairs of socks. This was SO much better than what I brought last time.

It has been mentioned already but worth repeating...stop in Le Refuge Orisson the first day. It's a beautiful experience to sleep in the Pyrenees! And, it makes for a much shorter and more manageable first day. https://www.refuge-orisson.com/en

The benefit of training at home before your Camino is that you can resolve your health issues with your local doctor, rest, recover, then train some more. All the effort that you put into training at home will result in less injuries on the Camino.

There is so much more to the Camino than sore feet! Why would you want to miss out on all the great Camino experiences because of injuries?

-Paul
Absolutely loved your story. I walked it earlier this year and huffed and puffed my way to Roncesvelles on the first day. Loved it but took me 10 1/2 hours. Might try and find a ten year old to walk with next time 😉

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Greetings, I have read and watched in the neighborhood of about fifty hours of material regarding the Camino and each time I learn something new. A frequent mention of the first day is "it's hard, but you'll be fine!" ...
40%? that seems unlikely.

If you think you might have trouble, you can break it by stopping at the Orisson or Borda albergues.

You can also have your packs shipped from SJPP to Roncevalles.

And you could get the number for both French and Spanish taxi services, just in case. Obviously, you need a working phone.

Take it slow, make sure you have reservations so you don't have to rush, and you'll be fine.

So my questions are:

Here is the video:

I've met people of various ages and fitness levels who've done it. I was 51 when I did it. My biggest problem was backpack weight. Hiking poles saved me. If you're worried, just use a transport service for your backpack (usually 5E) to Roncevalles and walk with a daypack with extra water. Just my humble opinion.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

So my questions are:

Here is the video:

Hi there. Just to put you at ease-/ I don’t believe the woman’s claim of 40% failure rate from St. Jean. Where and how did she get these figures? I was almost 70 years young last May of 2022 when I started the Camino in St. Jean, went over the Pyrenees mountains to Roncesvalles the first day. Was it tough? Yes and it was also cold and foggy at the very top. But I saw a big fellow in his 60’s that started off the same time and he was not what I would consider in great shape. However, throughout the Camino from town to town there he was.slowly but surely making his way , up and down mountains and hills. So don’t go by what you hear . Make it your Camino. Create your own path not someone else’s.
I suppose if you were injured or absolutely could not continue you could reach emergency I believe at 211.
Regarding water adding weight— you will consume water by perspiration, urination. Drink lots of water or you will dehydrate!!!! Remember by the time you’re thirsty you’ve already started dehydrating.
I plan to return next spring if I can recover from knee injury and will again plan to walk the Camino Francis. Hope this puts your mind at ease.

If you're worried, just use a transport service for your backpack (usually 5E) to Roncevalles and walk with a daypack with extra water. Just my humble opinion.

In my opinion, by using a transport service you will miss out on an important lesson of the Camino. That lesson is to strip yourself down to the very minimum of your belongings in the material word and take responsibility for your choices by carrying everything.

With a transport service I might be tempted to pack a hair dryer, waffle iron, etc. Those things are nice to have, but the Camino is about learning that you don't need those things to be happy.

-Paul

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In my opinion, by using a transport service you will miss out on an important lesson of the Camino. That lesson is to strip yourself down to the very minimum of your belongings in the material word and take responsibility for your choices by carrying everything.

With a transport service I might be tempted to pack a hair dryer, waffle iron, etc. Those things are nice to have, but the Camino is about learning that you don't need those things to be happy.

-Paul
We'll have to agree to disagree about that. "The Camino provides", they say, and I believer that includes lessons. Your lesson and mine may not be the same, but we can both be "fed". I never saw people using transport services for extraneous luxuries on my Frances or Ingles treks. Rather, they were often people with pre-existing conditions that made it difficult or impossible to carry even a lightly packed backpack. I used it once to lighten my load, when I needed to walk over 60 km in a day and a half to catch up with my Camino family. One pilgrim friend was a photographer who carried her fancy camera plus attachments, but sent her backpack ahead every day.

I've walked that section many, many times, almost every year since 2006, and I've only seen a few people not make it. Like everyone else says, 40% is just not a fact.

That said, I walked it the first time when I was around 54 and it almost killed me; nearly ruined the rest of my Camino. I had blisters, shin splints, and the bottoms of my feet were bruised.

I'm 71 now and never walk the full stage. I stop either in Orisson or Borda for the night (or shuttle back into SJPP) and continue over the next day. There's no reason to hurt yourself that first day. If you're in great shape go for it. If you have any doubts, you have options.

But yeah, 40% is just not true.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Emilio Estevez died on that part of the Camino, so yeah it's pretty challenging.
Seems that quite a lot of people have trouble separating fact from fiction. A friend sent me this post from a Facebook group yesterday. I'm no longer a member of that particular private Facebook group and cannot view it but my friend tells me the response was not entirely positive and supportive....

apoc-rant.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Seems that quite a lot of people have trouble separating fact from fiction. A friend sent me this post from a Facebook group yesterday. I'm no longer a member of that particular private Facebook group and cannot view it but my friend tells me the response was not entirely positive and supportive....

View attachment 156875
Perhaps the author of this text owns an albergue or a shop in Valcarlos ?

Perhaps that explains one of the timeless adages associated with the Camino, "if a pilgrim makes it to the city of Burgos, he can make it to Santiago!"

Emilio Estevez died on that part of the Camino, so yeah it's pretty challenging.
Not quite as dramatic, perhaps, but it was so challenging it took Paulo Coelho a week to walk from St. Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles. So those who are doing it in two days are doing it a lot faster than him.

Admittedly, that might have had something to do with the fact he followed a "guide" rather than the trail markings.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

View attachment 156875
Nice fairy tale🥱🥱🥱

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back