• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New member from UK walking in June

Rich Maz

Time of past OR future Camino
walking camino frances june 2014
Hello
I'm Rich, I'm 24 and I'm from the UK.
I am going to be walking the Camino in June, starting off in Pamplona on the 4th June.
I'm a little apprehensive about it because I'm travelling solo, but having read up a lot I hear other pilgrims are always near by and are always up for a chat.
I'm looking forward to spending a month meeting new and interesting people from all walks of life, but I am also looking forward to having the alone time to walk and figure out what I want from this crazy little thing called life. It is safe to say I am feeling a little bit lost right now so I am hoping to gain some direction on the camino.
If there is any advice you can offer me, or want to chat, please get in touch. If you are also walking around the same time and fancy meeting up, get in touch! :)
Thanks,
Rich.
p.s I'm landing in Bilbao on the 3rd June 2014 so if anyone can suggest the best way to get to Pamplona I'd love to hear your suggestions :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Rich,
Welcome to the forum. I have not yet walked the Camino, but have found this forum incredibly informative for answering all my questions. I will be walking this summer, mostly in June. If you type in a topic in the search area, you can find practically everything you need to know. There is also a thread on walking alone, and you will see very quickly that there are always people around to help and answer questions. Have a great trip!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Rich
I walked my first Camino in nov-13 and like you, I set off solo, unsure of what I would find.
But even in Nov, I was not alone if I needed company. And also had plenty of time to myself.
So I'm sure you'll be fine - in fact I'm sure you'll love it.
Buen Camino !
Tim

Hi Rich. Feeling apprehensive is good. Feeling lost in life is good. Going alone is good. By being alone you have no one to talk to about the other world that you have left. This is a good thing. You are as you are on that day, each day; no one knows your past, no one makes assumptions about you from previous experience of you.
You will meet many pilgrims, have many good times, and most likely some times that seem to be bad (they aren't, they are just part of the process).

In a sense there are no answers on the Camino, only a dropping away of questions and fears. Clarity can come if you truly immerse yourself and you are more likely to find out what you don't want to do with your life than what you do want to do with your life.
You are 24 years old and already the life you lead has palled - otherwise you wouldn't be going on pilgrimage. There is no greater life than service to others, everything else - seeking wealth, fame, possessions, is a delusion that kills the inner person.

A short while before you go expect to go through some real apprehension "why I am I doing this" "can I do this" "what will happen if .." - all is well, this is also part of the process. Remember that if you want good things to come to you, to meet interesting and kind and helpful pilgrims, then you yourself need to become that first ... emanate that to others .... enjoy.

June-July? Take a good sun hat!

Buen Camino!!

Hello
I'm Rich, I'm 24 and I'm from the UK.
I am going to be walking the Camino in June, starting off in Pamplona on the 4th June.
I'm a little apprehensive about it because I'm travelling solo, but having read up a lot I hear other pilgrims are always near by and are always up for a chat.
I'm looking forward to spending a month meeting new and interesting people from all walks of life, but I am also looking forward to having the alone time to walk and figure out what I want from this crazy little thing called life. It is safe to say I am feeling a little bit lost right now so I am hoping to gain some direction on the camino.
If there is any advice you can offer me, or want to chat, please get in touch. If you are also walking around the same time and fancy meeting up, get in touch! :)
Thanks,
Rich.
p.s I'm landing in Bilbao on the 3rd June 2014 so if anyone can suggest the best way to get to Pamplona I'd love to hear your suggestions :)

Hi Rich, I walked from SJPDP to Santiago in mMay/June 2013 and I did it alone. Everyone is always friendly, helpful and caring and one is never truly alone. You'll have all the space to think, reflect and plenty of company if you want it. You'll be walking in summer too, so the way will be busy and full of life.
There's really nothing to worry about and everything to look forward to. It will change everything, and you'll have the time of your life. So good luck and buen camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Rich, and welcome to this wonderful forum. I set out in late April 2012, alone, and seeking an opportunity to be quiet and think. That was what the Camino gave me. But every time I wanted a bit of human company, whether I realised it or not, the Camino gave me that too. You will have a wonderful journey.

I was feeling lost too, other end of the age spectrum from you, suddenly retired from a job I had loved and been committed to for many years.

The blessed Falcon has posted timetables for your start, others here have posted their best wishes. I'll post mine.

Buen Camino

Hi Rich,
I'm about thirty years older than you, but about to experience the Camino solo as well. I'm excited, apprehensive, and mostly obsessed with the whole thing! I knew I had to do this about three years ago. . .
I appreciate the support/info on this fabulous forum.
Best to you as you venture on, out, and in!
Cindy

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.