• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New member very excited

steve392

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, September 2016
Fisterra, July 2018
Hi all,
I've only just come across the Camino de Santiago in the past week and am getting excited at the prospect of undertaking my own pilgrimage in the future. I have been hill walking and trekking for many years but have never undertaken a distance as great as this. So was hoping to get plenty of hints and tips as well as share other members experiences from the forum.
I'm not so silly as to expect to up and go straight away so I'll be taking my time and getting well prepared as well as physically fit before I set a definite date. My first question therefore is, when would the best time of year be to go? Keeping in mind that I'm not great in too high temperatures so was thinking that maybe spring would be a good time?
Thanks in advance and happy trails.
Steve.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Steve!
Welcome to the forum - you'll find all your answers here.
If you don't like heat too much, stick to Spring and Autumn.
I love the Spring - April/May/early June.
If you check out my web site you'll find diaries of my four completed caminos ... and I'm really looking forward to May next year when I'm hoping to walk a very quiet camino - the Ruta del Ebro - from the Mediterranean coast.
If you have any specific questions, ask them here, or trawl the web ... the answers are to hand.
Blessings from Suffolk, England.
Buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Steve, welcome to the Forum and the Camino. Give us an idea of how you heard of the Camino to Santiago and what motivates you to walk the Way.
A few tips: Many have walked the Camino from distant locations throughout the centuries. Your Camino will start at the time you commit.
It appears you have a desire, but upon what is it founded?
Have no doubt, the Camino is alive with wonder, inspiration, support and an ability to change the outlook of the mundane, to a belief in the future.
A future crafted by you in concert with all you will experience as you walk to Santiago and then experience the majesty of coming together as pilgrims sharing the Way and seeking answers. Both of which may be new to you and fulfilling in the extreme.
Ask...and the veil of uncertainty will part and the journey will begin.
Buen Camino,
Arn

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Steve, welcome to the Forum and the Camino. Give us an idea of how you heard of the Camino to Santiago and what motivates you to walk the Way.
A few tips: Many have walked the Camino from distant locations throughout the centuries. Your Camino will start at the time you commit.
It appears you have a desire, but upon what is it founded?
Have no doubt, the Camino is alive with wonder, inspiration, support and an ability to change the outlook of the mundane, to a belief in the future.
A future crafted by you in concert with all you will experience as you walk to Santiago and then experience the majesty of coming together as pilgrims sharing the Way and seeking answers. Both of which may be new to you and fulfilling in the extreme.
Ask...and the veil of uncertainty will part and the journey will begin.
Buen Camino,
Arn

I first heard of the Camino was by watching the film The Way (like many others may have done) and then started looking further into it online. I've been looking for long distance walks to do for a while now as I wish to travel more and experience life before it's too late. The Milford trail in New Zealand is another trek that I hope to do in the next few years.
I have been through a lot in the last 16 years or so and feel it's time to put some ghosts to rest before I can move on. I'm not expecting any miracle cures, but when I'm walking somewhere like the lake district in England or around the Cullin mountains on the Isle of Skye I can find precious moments of piece. Hopefully the Camino will provide this also and much more.

Welcome Steve and enjoy the research; it is part of the journey.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm not expecting any miracle cures, but when I'm walking somewhere like the lake district in England or around the Cullin mountains on the Isle of Skye I can find precious moments of piece. Hopefully the Camino will provide this also and much more.
Absolutely, Steve.
When you walk - whichever camino you choose - talk to other pilgrims: even maybe mention your problems or hang-ups. We all have them! You will develop a "camino family" as you walk - not always walking WITH other pilgrims, but meeting up again and again in the evenings, and in cafes and bars along the camino. It is amazing what love and companionship you will find. You will NEVER be alone, even when walking by yourself!!
You have so much peace and pleasure to come ..... and you may even catch the 'camino bug' and return again and again.
Buen camino!

Hi all,
I've only just come across the Camino de Santiago in the past week and am getting excited at the prospect of undertaking my own pilgrimage in the future. I have been hill walking and trekking for many years but have never undertaken a distance as great as this. So was hoping to get plenty of hints and tips as well as share other members experiences from the forum.
I'm not so silly as to expect to up and go straight away so I'll be taking my time and getting well prepared as well as physically fit before I set a definite date. My first question therefore is, when would the best time of year be to go? Keeping in mind that I'm not great in too high temperatures so was thinking that maybe spring would be a good time?
Thanks in advance and happy trails.
Steve.

Hi Steve:
We just returned last week. Started 8/29 and finished 10/5 and had remarkably great weather. Only about 8-10 days hot mid-day temp, and only 3-4 with drizzle/rain, nothing really bad. We had NO foot or leg problems at all, but many people did. Many visited a medical center, hospital, etc. So here is my advice
• Get comfortable boots (I had Ahnu boots, my husband had Merrills) Do a fair amount of walking in them before you start.
• Get some good smart-wool socks and a good liner sock. I wore a pair of nylon knee-hi's under my socks
• I used a medicated foot powder every morning before putting on the socks (keeps feet dry, slippery) Also rubber them with lotion after walking
• Don't walk too far... especially in beginning. Shin splints were a big problem for others. Our legs were a little sore in the beginning, but nothing like some people had. We went 23 - 28 km/day.
• We started in SJPDP and stayed first night in Orrison... don't miss this! A marvelous introduction to the trek and you'll need it because that first 9 KM is very steep! The next day from Orrison to Roncesvalles is not too bad.
We loved it! Got into the pilgrim mindset. The albergues are wonderful! 95% of them are clean, charming, modern, comfortable, nice showers. Way better than we expected.
MaryEllen

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Steve:
We just returned last week. Started 8/29 and finished 10/5 and had remarkably great weather. Only about 8-10 days hot mid-day temp, and only 3-4 with drizzle/rain, nothing really bad. We had NO foot or leg problems at all, but many people did. Many visited a medical center, hospital, etc. So here is my advice
• Get comfortable boots (I had Ahnu boots, my husband had Merrills) Do a fair amount of walking in them before you start.
• Get some good smart-wool socks and a good liner sock. I wore a pair of nylon knee-hi's under my socks
• I used a medicated foot powder every morning before putting on the socks (keeps feet dry, slippery) Also rubber them with lotion after walking
• Don't walk too far... especially in beginning. Shin splints were a big problem for others. Our legs were a little sore in the beginning, but nothing like some people had. We went 23 - 28 km/day.
• We started in SJPDP and stayed first night in Orrison... don't miss this! A marvelous introduction to the trek and you'll need it because that first 9 KM is very steep! The next day from Orrison to Roncesvalles is not too bad.
We loved it! Got into the pilgrim mindset. The albergues are wonderful! 95% of them are clean, charming, modern, comfortable, nice showers. Way better than we expected.
MaryEllen

Hey MaryEllen.
Great to hear you had such a great time.
The time of year you walked your Camino is exactly the time of year I'm looking to do mine. I spoke to my bosses today about taking 6 weeks out of work from around 1st September next year and things look hopeful. Just a small matter of fitness, a bit of weight loss to contend with ( 15kg !Gulp! :/ ) and funds to save.
The advise you gave on boots and foot care is exactly the same advise I give to people, right down to the foot powder. Nice to know we're singing from the same hymn sheet.
The issue of Shin splints is something that I hadn't thought of so I'll definitely be keeping it in mind. I've had these in the past myself and know how painful and uncomfortable they can be.
Many thanks

Welcome to the forum. You are in for a wild ride. There are people who are more then willing to give you lots of advise. So buckle up sit back and enjoy.
Buen Camino

Haven't posted for a bit as I wanted to get a definite reply from my employers as to whether or not I could get the 6 weeks off work to do my camino before I did so ( I didn't want to tempt fate).
The good news is that I can get the time off work. The bad news is that I'll have to use my whole years holiday entitlement plus 2 weeks unpaid to do it. This means I'll have to work 9 months without a break (except weekends) leading up to my departure date around Sept 22 of next year.
It's going to make things a little difficult with regards to training for the camino as I had planned on doing a couple of long distance (100k or so over 4 days) hikes in preparation. Also, I tend to spread my holidays from work across the year into smaller breaks so I can break up the day to day routine of work. Having to work for 9 months straight will be a bit of a shock to the system for me.
So a big decision needs to be made as to whether I should commit to taking the time off and going for it, putting it off for a year or so, or just forgetting the whole thing (I know I'd regret not doing it).
Any opinions, advise or even a kick up the backside are more than welcome.
Steve.

PS. Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Its not a route march ... if you walk for an hour every day for a year then not only will you be fit enough to walk the camino but you will also have found the means for fitness for life

[QUOTE="steve392, post: 253401, member: 40907It's going to make things a little difficult with regards to training for the camino as I had planned on doing a couple of long distance (100k or so over 4 days) hikes in preparation.
Any opinions, advise or even a kick up the backside are more than welcome.
Steve.

PS. Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.[/QUOTE]
Aim for 20-25 km walks on the weekends. That should help.

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum, if you're able to manage The Cuillinns on Skye, you won't have any fitness problems coping with the camino, I use my hill walking in Ireland for my core fitness and gradually increase the duration/ difficulty in the 8 weeks before a camino but also try to include a couple of 2 hour road walks each week as well as a substantial portion of the camino is on country lanes and pavements through the larger urban areas. My own preference in footwear is for a lighter version of my normal hill walking boots and summer weight merino blend hiking socks but there are nearly as many preferences in footwear choice as there are peregrinos so my best suggestion is not to bring any clothing or footwear that you haven't worn for 50+ trouble free hours hillwalking in the couple of months before your departure date.
As regards your question concerning holiday leave, I say go for it, for my long camino 2 years ago and for my planned camino next year I had to make the same choice and ultimately took the view that while I might only have another 6 or so years to go hopefully before I retire and time constraints would no longer be an issue, there would be no guarantees as to my physical health so go now and you can always repeat in your retirement years, health permitting.
Like you, I have my heart set on doing the Milford Trail and it is pencilled in for the year I retire.

Buen camino

Seamus

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.