• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Pilgrim In LA Saying "Hello"

Srg.Gnz

Hi all!
New to the board and I posted the below in the main Frances site, so I figured I'd add it here as well.
Thanks!

======================================================================

"Hello!"
My name is Sergio and I just purchased my airline ticket for July 25th to Paris and return to Los Angeles from Madrid on Aug 28th (I'm hoping this gives me enough time).

As you could imagine, I have a ton of questions, but I'm sure I'll find them out as I surf the site more... or on the Camino itself! (HA!)

Here's a couple:
1) Judging from the days I have set for this trip, if I arrive in Paris at 9am, should I immediately hop on the train to Bayonne, or can I enjoy a couple of hours in Paris 1st (I'm asking because I've never been to Paris and wondering if I'd be Ok time-wise).

2) Is it possible to mail myself things from the US to certain stops along the way (extra set of clothes, protein bars, etc). If so, what's the easiest way to make this happen?

3) I have an Osprey Atmos 65 from climbing My Whitney. Is the general consensus that a 65L is too big, or is it still Ok if it's 1/3 empty? (trying not to purchase a med sized pack that I might not use again).

4) Vibram Five Fingers - I LOVE mine. I have 3 pairs for different activities. What's the thought of these on the Camino?

5) Gracias a todos por su ayuda! / Thanks to all for your help with these!

OH! & if you know of anyone also on El Camino during when I'll be there, feel free to connect us!

Thanks again!

Sergio G.
https://www.facebook.com/superserg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Srg.Gnz said:
"Hello!"
My name is Sergio and I just purchased my airline ticket for July 25th to Paris and return to Los Angeles from Madrid on Aug 28th (I'm hoping this gives me enough time).

If you are a fast walker, it is possible to walk from St Jean to Santiago quite comfortably in 33 days.

Here's a couple:
1) Judging from the days I have set for this trip, if I arrive in Paris at 9am, should I immediately hop on the train to Bayonne, or can I enjoy a couple of hours in Paris 1st (I'm asking because I've never been to Paris and wondering if I'd be Ok time-wise).

Check to see how many trains there are to Bayonne-Biarritz.
And your connection from there to St Jean. http://www.voyages-sncf.com

2) Is it possible to mail myself things from the US to certain stops along the way (extra set of clothes, protein bars, etc). If so, what's the easiest way to make this happen?

It will be much cheaper to mail stuff from Paris or St Jean. Address your parcels to:
Name: Lista de Correos : and then the post office in the city where you want to pick stuff up. Don't post to a town where you expect to be over a weekend. Check post office times. You might arrive after the post office closes (many close at 2pm)
31080 Pamplona (Navarra) 24080 León
31100 Puenta la Reina (Navarra) 24700 Astorga (León)
26080 Logroño (Navarra) 24400 Ponferrada (León)
09080 Burgos 27600 Sarria (Lugo)
15780 Santiago de Compostela (A Coruña)

3) I have an Osprey Atmos 65 from climbing My Whitney. Is the general consensus that a 65L is too big, or is it still Ok if it's 1/3 empty? (trying not to purchase a med sized pack that I might not use again).

Use your old, comfortable Osprey - just don't fill it up!

4) Vibram Five Fingers - I LOVE mine. I have 3 pairs for different activities. What's the thought of these on the Camino?

Take a pair with you but also take trainers for any muddy, slippery, wet days.

5) Gracias a todos por su ayuda! / Thanks to all for your help with these!

OH! & if you know of anyone also on El Camino during when I'll be there, feel free to connect us!

Thanks again!

Sergio G.
https://www.facebook.com/superserg

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.