• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Pilgrimer who has 23 days in November

Mountain Mama

Hi folks I am an avid mountain trekker looking for a recommended rounte in November 2012 (probably 15 Nov onwards) for around 23 days

Can anyone suggest aroute that is more remote and scenically good?

Also i am looking to travel and walk alone .....

Many thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
November is getting into some rough weather. Cold out on the meseta, the great interior plateau in Spain. And snow but maybe not so cold in Galicia, closer to Santiago. Some albergues will be closed for the season.

Earlier in the year, I would recommend the Via de la Plata from Banos de Montmayor to Santiago. It is about 570 kilometers which works out to be 23 days of 25 kms per day... a challenge, but not impossible for someone who is fit and experienced. However this doesn't leave you a margin to take a day off for bad weather. You will experience the bleak and foreboding plains before Granja de Moreruela, and then move into the "mountains" or high hills after Granja. Here is a good website with a Planer and slide show of the Via de la Plata. http://www.godesalco.com/

To tell the truth, the Camino Frances, which is the most popular route in the summer may provide you a personal and sometimes solitary journey in November. Santo Domingo de la Calzada is about 560 kms from Santiago so also 25 kms per day. A handful of pilgrims remain on this camino throughout the year so that while some albergues are closed, you will find open ones walking distance apart each day.

There are some well written blogs about winter caminos with good descriptions of the feelings and conditions as well as advice for the would be pilgrim. I found them through google, but have since lost their locations on the web.

Good luck in your research and journey's mercies on your Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

Mountain Mama, I'm a winter/spring walker. Cold caminos can be solitary, but the new friendships easier and more intimate. (When you walk as slow as me you have to be prepared to make new friends every day.)

David (above) has some great ideas.

I found the Frances almost deserted in late winter, continuing from Pamplona where I'd left off the previous year. I encountered snow, rain, wind etc, but I can recommend the experience. If you like things a bit wild, the Aubrac Plateau at the start of the Chemin du Puy in November should oblige!

When time is limited and weather uncertain, one can always walk the Portugues from Porto, then continue on to Fisterra/Muxia. There may be rain and albergue-closures, but nothing to kill you. You'd have plenty of time to hang in Santiago with Saint James and eat octopus etc. Just some thoughts for you.

It's gunna be good!

Rob

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I like the idea of the VDLP. The scenery truly is wonderful in the section David outlined. I've walked a week there in November, and will do about 10 days again this November, although ending at Banos, not starting. I had some rain, but nothing that bad at all. If you're worried about the weather, you could start a little further north, or just figure if you got a little behind, you'd have to cab ahead one day. But it's beautiful and solitary. And if we bump into one another, I won't bother you! ;)

Melanie

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back