• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New to everything ... but willing to learn

Vieja

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese (2017)
Hi .. I am so new to all this .. decided to start planning for Canino Portuguese July 2017 ... will need lots of help, what shoes to buy, backpack and what to put in it. I am 68 not much of a walker but have 14 months to get ready. I was born in Spain and came to the USA on a steamship freighter as a little girl. El camino will be my way of returning to the land or my birth .. So , help a Vieja along the way ... :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome to the forum @Vieja and thanks for sharing your story. You'll find lots of information in the Camino Portugues sections: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/camino-portugues.13/. You can ask a specific question in that forum if you need help with something. As regards what you should bring, just put 'packing lists' in the search box and you'll get lots of information and suggestions.

You've plenty of time, so there's no need to worry too much about gear or packing just yet. You mentioned that you're not much of a walker - this is your time to discover the great pleasure of walking! Good luck and Bom Caminho!

Welcome!

You've certainly come to the right place and I hope that the Forum will assist you in preparing for your Camino. How exciting! and wonderful and so many other things :p... where to begin... I assume that you are living in America? Are there any walking groups - or better still Camino groups anywhere near you? That would be a great place to start out on your walking career :)

It's easy to become totally confused by the abundance of stuff and advice that's available. Think of it as going to a supermarket - there is so much choice out there. I would suggest that you pick one or two items and research them both here and at a local outdoor store if one is available for you e.g. footwear and backpack to begin with. You've heaps of time so need to rush.

and then there's the 'going home'... I was a little girl when I left my English birthplace for Australia and didn't return until a few years ago for my 60th birthday when I went walking in the fields of my childhood again. It's a wonderful way to come home... and it will add another dimension to your Camino.

Enjoy your preparations - WARNING!! you'll become addicted (and there are plenty of threads about that!)

Buen Camino - for you are truly on the Way already

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Welcome to the forum @Vieja and thanks for sharing your story. You'll find lots of information in the Camino Portugues sections: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/camino-portugues.13/. You can ask a specific question in that forum if you need help with something. As regards what you should bring, just put 'packing lists' in the search box and you'll get lots of information and suggestions.

You've plenty of time, so there's no need to worry too much about gear or packing just yet. You mentioned that you're not much of a walker - this is your time to discover the great pleasure of walking! Good luck and Bom Caminho!
thank you ... I am a very positive person and like new things ... so .. I am not worried and will be a great way to get my bod back into shape ... best to you ...

@Vieja : We just watched the movie "Brooklyn" and your story already intrigues me!

This Forum will have a lot of great advice for you. There's also an organization called American Pilgrims on the Camino (http://www.americanpilgrims.org/), and on its website you can see where they have local chapters that meet to talk about the Camino and walk together. They also run a Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/AmericanPilgrims/).

Also, John Brierley has a good guidebook on the Camino Portuguese.

Enjoy all the planning! Take care and Buen Camino.
Faith

Welcome!

You've certainly come to the right place and I hope that the Forum will assist you in preparing for your Camino. How exciting! and wonderful and so many other things :p... where to begin... I assume that you are living in America? Are there any walking groups - or better still Camino groups anywhere near you? That would be a great place to start out on your walking career :)

It's easy to become totally confused by the abundance of stuff and advice that's available. Think of it as going to a supermarket - there is so much choice out there. I would suggest that you pick one or two items and research them both here and at a local outdoor store if one is available for you e.g. footwear and backpack to begin with. You've heaps of time so need to rush.

and then there's the 'going home'... I was a little girl when I left my English birthplace for Australia and didn't return until a few years ago for my 60th birthday when I went walking in the fields of my childhood again. It's a wonderful way to come home... and it will add another dimension to your Camino.

Enjoy your preparations - WARNING!! you'll become addicted (and there are plenty of threads about that!)

Buen Camino - for you are truly on the Way already
Thank you so much ... glad your return to your place of birth was so wonderful... I am looking forward to my adventure ... I will do what you suggested .. look for local comino groups... Be well and Buen Camino to you as well ...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Vieja : We just watched the movie "Brooklyn" and your story already intrigues me!

This Forum will have a lot of great advice for you. There's also an organization called American Pilgrims on the Camino (http://www.americanpilgrims.org/), and on its website you can see where they have local chapters that meet to talk about the Camino and walk together. They also run a Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/AmericanPilgrims/).

Also, John Brierley has a good guidebook on the Camino Portuguese.

Enjoy all the planning! Take care and Buen Camino.
Faith
Thank you so much ... I will do that ... look for local chapter .... not only will I be returning to my country of birth ... I was born in Galicia .. so even better .. the freighter I took as a little girl departed from Vigo... I look forward to standing at that port.

@Vieja : We were just in Vigo last week! Beautiful town, especially when it's sunny and you can see the deep blue of the water :)

That's great that you'll be coming back to your homeland so soon. Lots of emotions for you I'm sure!

Take care,
Faith

Go to a good sports shop and try different trainers and backpacks.
Som will even have weights to put in, so you can have a realistic feel. Aim for not much more than 7kg.
If you get this gear early than you'll become acustomed and your body will thank you on the trail.

The important thing is not to get the best "performance" or the best deal, get something that will not be an issue on the trail so that you can just appreciate your journey and your homeland.

Best wishes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Vieja : We were just in Vigo last week! Beautiful town, especially when it's sunny and you can see the deep blue of the water :)

That's great that you'll be coming back to your homeland so soon. Lots of emotions for you I'm sure!

Take care,
Faith
Thank you Faith ... 64 yrs later is not so soon,,, kik

Take care,
Faith
thank you Faith ... 64 yrs is not so soon ,,, lol .. 14 months to go ...

Go to a good sports shop and try different trainers and backpacks.
Som will even have weights to put in, so you can have a realistic feel. Aim for not much more than 7kg.
If you get this gear early than you'll become acustomed and your body will thank you on the trail.

The important thing is not to get the best "performance" or the best deal, get something that will not be an issue on the trail so that you can just appreciate your journey and your homeland.

Best wishes.
thank you will do ... some packs have torso sizes ... in a couple of months I will start going to shops and check out everything in person

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back