• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New to forum

Plumber1000

Hi everyone I'm Stuart from Scotland. Planning to do The Way in early September on my lonesome. Was thinking of camping but not sure what tent to buy. Anyone got any ideas? Lata amigos

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Using a tent may not be any less expensive than staying in albergues. Most of the camping spots will be on the grounds of albergues, and they probably will charge you to use the shower since energy to heat water is their number one expense! Regular campgrounds cost more than a bed in an albergue. No open fires are allowed in Spain because of the drought. Wild camping is permitted only on public property outside of towns and not within a couple of kilometers of a campground (to protect revenue, probably). The weight of a tent and cooking equipment will increase your pack weight considerably, and a light pack is commonly suggested in this Forum.

Regardless of your decision, have a buen camino.

Thanks for the response very interesting . Looks like I will be ditching the tent idea was just scared I didn't get a bed on some nights if it's busy. Thanks again.
Regards Stu

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Stu,

I am used to backpacking and sleeping in a tent also. My fears of not finding a bed led me to buying a "sea to summit" poncho. It covers your pack, weighs in at 13 oz and can be made into a shelter. Check out the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2m95EwExnc

either way, you need some form of raingear, it may be heavier than a plastic poncho, but has multiple uses and is much tougher.

Hope this helps

:D

Hey Stu,

I'm Jose (Puerto Rican living in the Bronx, NY) I too am planing to walk el camino from SJPP to Santiago also in Sept. Maybe we can start together if are dates match or meet up en el camino.

Plumber1000 said:
Thanks for the response very interesting . Looks like I will be ditching the tent idea was just scared I didn't get a bed on some nights if it's busy. Thanks again.
Regards Stu

I'm walking at the same time as you and I'm not overly concerned about finding a bed. From everything I've read, September isn't THAT busy (usually) that there's a bed race and I don't intend on following the stages outlined in the guides which seems to be the key to finding a bed easily.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for all the info. Sea to Summit looks a great idea and weighs very little hopefully I can get one here in sunny Scotland. Jose you are welcome to join me on my trek but be warned I'm not the fastest walker on the planet lol. Thanks again for the help. What is the best ruck sack to fit a bottle of Johnny Walker Black Label Whisky in lol. Cheers guys

I can assure you that Johnny Walker is available in red, black, green, gold and blue labels here in Spain. Much as I've tried I've never manage to create a shortage. Don't worry about the weight of the bottle - it won't be full for long.

Sláinte

John

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Jonathan from Australia here. I'll be beginning about 8 Septemeber so keep an eye out for me. Cheers

Hi Jonathan hope to see you on my travels. My hip flask will be full so you're welcome to accompany me if you don't walk to fast and share the delights of Mr Walker lol.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You'd be well looked after in Moratinos. Not sure what impact your toolbox will have on your backpack weight, though! :D

Buen Camino!

Plumber1000 said:
What is the best ruck sack to fit a bottle of Johnny Walker Black Label Whisky in lol. Cheers guys
I had the Berghaus 35+8l, which has a pocket on the back specifically for a water bladder. 'Water' bladder...yeah, right! :lol:

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hey stu
No problem in walking slow lol I've set out 60 days to enjoy and
To finish the camino. Every plumber needs a helper and I already
Have some know how.

Hey Jose sounds like a plan. 60 days sounds good to me. I won't be in a rush to get back to Scotland. Even might stay if they need a plumber lol.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Plumber1000 said:
Hey Jose sounds like a plan. 60 days sounds good to me. I won't be in a rush to get back to Scotland. Even might stay if they need a plumber lol.

I will let you know when I get my itinerary settled early next week.
I too am in no hurry to return to the states once I commense.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.