New to the Forum

Dogwalker4

Mar 25, 2013
Hello to all.
Hopefully will be doing the Camino Francais with my wife in Spring or Fall of 2014. We will be not as conventional as most, but as everyone says "It is our Camino" and we will walk it they way we want. So we will be staying in private accommodation (hotels, etc). No offense to anyone about the alberques, it is just not where we want to stay (our walk, remember). We will also have our Jack Russell with us. Now before everybody starts in about taking our dog, know that he is a hearty and hard hiker who is very used to 20 km or more hikes in the Colorado Rockies and in the Austrian Alps. Also we are not trying to do 25 km or more a day (we will have plenty of time). I have been having great success finding accommodations along the Way who will accept dogs so do not believe we will experience issues there. Have heard all the stories about working dogs and strays along the Way as well, Thor is a stalwart, we will have our staffs...no worries.
We are looking forward to this journey very much!!!

Reactions: David
A selection of Camino Jewellery

newfydog

Veteran Member
Sep 10, 2009
Bend, Oregon, USA
Time of past OR future Camino
Pamplona-Santiago, Le Puy- Santiago, Prague- LePuy, Menton- Toulouse, Menton- Rome, Canterbury- Lausanne, Chemin Stevenson, Voie de Vezelay
Dogwalker4 said:
. Have heard all the stories about working dogs and strays along the Way as well, Thor is a stalwart, we will have our staffs...no worries.
!!

Lucky doggie.

I can't imagine where those stories come from. I make it a point to meet every dog on the trail. There are few dogs out there, but if you can find some they tend to be very nice.

nellpilgrim

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2009
Ireland
bigwalky.blogspot.com
Time of past OR future Camino
SDC-Fisterra 08/Camino Frances SJPP to SDC 09/Nuremburg-SDC 11- ongoing
Be very careful of the Dogs at La Faba they are an extremely dangerous .... trip hazard as they seem to sleep all day snoozing away wherever they find a nice little patch of shelter/sun!
But if they do wake up as pilgrim Thor walks past on his way up to O'Cebreiro please let us know or even better post a photo. :wink:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Dogwalker4

Mar 25, 2013
mad galway man said:
Is this man for real, how are you going to get the dog from USA to Europe, customs and quarantine regulations will be very interested, how you walk and where you sleep your business.
Thor has flown to Europe many times with us. He has all the paperwork needed for the trip, plus his microchip. There are no quarantines for the EU as long as your papers from the US are in order (although no one has ever looked or asked for them on any of our trips, except when we re-enter the US). I think only the UK still does the quarantine thing. Thanks for your concern though.

Reactions: David

danielle

Apr 8, 2014
Hello, I am hoping you are still active on this site. I have a chocolate lab that I'd like to do the hike with. Can you tell me:

If you recommend a certain airline?

Which airport you flew into?

How you get to the trailhead from the airport? (My dog is 50 lb, so not allowed on the train, from what I understand.)

What did you do for food? (She eats 3 cups per day. I'd imagine she'd need slightly more while doing the trail. But how do you carry a month's worth of dog food?)

How much water should she carry?

We're in Denver. We hike Deer Creek and the surrounding parks daily. She's used to hiking, but obviously has never done 6 hours/day for 30 days. I think she'll love this trail! How did your dog do in the end? Did you need the dog booties?

Any advice/lessons learned would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Danielle and Jane, the Dog :)

ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1396913746.414724.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Dogwalker4

Mar 25, 2013
Sorry all,
Had to put it off for a while have to get the old knees in better shape for carrying a pack. We are however biking across Austria into Germany and the over the via Claudia Augusta into Italy this September. Our Jack, Thor, will be in his bike trailer.
@danielle,
Lufthansa is the best for dogs...though your Lab will have to go in the baggage hold. If you are flying from Denver I would recommend the direct flight to Frankfurt and from there catch a train to your destination, don't try and do 2 hops on the plane. If you need further info on what is required to bring your dog over to Europe let me know.
I still disagree with most naysayers about bringing your dog with you...it just takes more planning and research to find places that accept dogs along the way. I found many hotels that will accept dogs (although not the refugios/alberg's, but I didi not plan on staying in those anyway).
If your dog is a seasoned Colorado hiker you should be fine, but I would not go in the hot months.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.