• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New to the forum

Aunty Gen

Hi all, having found this forum very helpful in helping us prepare for our Camino in April 2007, I decided I had better join. My husband & I are doing the Camino Frances in April/May and I have to say one of the best parts so far has been all the preparations and anticipation. Reading all the posts has been great and I have learnt so much. Still lots of questions in my mind tho, boots or shoes?, walking pole or no?, just what to take and what to leave behind? As I say half the fun is the preparations!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Montana greetings

Greetings Aunty Gen,

Lovely to read your post here. I am Linda from Montana and will be on the Camino Frances also in April. I too have been embroiled in making preparations and am just about ready.

I bought the best boots I have ever had for my problem feet: Renegade by Lowa. They were immediately comfortable, are water-proof, and have good traction. I too am wondering about walking pole or no. Are your hands swelling as you walk now? Mine are. Phooey. Perhaps a walking pole would be good?

Highest blessings to you Aunty!

Linda

P.S. I acquired the weirdest backpack I've ever seen...it is a G5 Hyperlight pack by Gossamer gear. It weights only 8 ounces! Everyone says to go light, so I am going to try to! :wink:

Good luck and good road to you both.
Hyper G5? I've seen it advertised - wise one! When you arrive at my white camper van with the http://www.PilgrimSupplies.org logos tell me what you think of it and let me have a look. Why do your hands swell?

Poles? I say take one. Great on uphills and eerrmm ... downhills, also, they may be few, but there are naughty dogs and you will feel safer with a stick to wave - also, females, were you to meet a rough fellow with horrid intentions (not likely), the metal point of a trekking pole in the Adam's Apple could be a thought changing experience for him!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
preparing for the walk

Hi Linda, thanks for the welcome, & Hi to Br David too, thanks for the advice,
Yes my hands do swell when I walk, I then do some small exercises, squeezing and flexing to keep the blood flowing, I think a pole will at least keep them moving. I haven't tried walking with a pole yet. I am told they take a bit of getting used to.

I have decided on my cross country heavy duty trainers instead of boots, they have a very good sole with grip and are very hard wearing but very comfortable. the pack I have bought is a Mountain Designs, a good pack only weighs just on a kilo I think, it is 40L and my test packing has got down to a fine art now. Maximum of about 7 to 7.5 Kgs all up.

cheers,
Aunty Gen

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.