• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Newbie arrives

like a rhino

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning early 2023 start
Hi my names Steve and I’m planning to walk the Camino Frances in 2023 at the ripe age of 63. Notice I omitted the usual “old” as to be honest, as I’ve never been old before and I wouldn’t know how it feels. Excited, slightly scared and have started training already. I have joined the forum because whilst YouTube is useful you can’t ask questions. I am now going to have look to see if there is an existing thread re footwear as this is my first research item. Thanks Bon Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Welcome to the forum! From a young 63 year old !;)

You'll find out about a lot of options, because there are tons of threads here on footwear, with lots of opinions too. At the end of the day the best advice is to find a good shoe store and try some on. Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am now going to have look to see if there is an existing thread re footwear
Welcome!
One suggestion is that searching 'footwear' or just 'shoes' posted by member @davebugg would be a good place to start. Then post your own question thread if there are any questions you still need answered.

Rhino feet are unique and will need special fitting. 🙃

Welcome to the forum! From a young 63 year old !;)

You'll find out about a lot of options, because there are tons of threads here on footwear, with lots of opinions too. At the end of the day the best advice is to find a good shoe store and try some on. Buen Camino!
Thanks Bill for the welcome. As for shoes I’ve been using Altra trail runners for the past 6 months swapping into boots for Lake District high fells. I was considering coupling them with some hiking sandals for asphalt walking. I enjoy barefoot zero stack footwear. So I want advice on the use of both trail runners & sandals please. Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks Bill for the welcome. As for shoes I’ve been using Altra trail runners for the past 6 months swapping into boots for Lake District high fells. I was considering coupling them with some hiking sandals for asphalt walking. I enjoy barefoot zero stack footwear. So I want advice on the use of both trail runners & sandals please. Buen Camino.
Some people love their boots, but there are many who only wear trail runners or sandals on the Camino.

Hi my names Steve and I’m planning to walk the Camino Frances in 2023 at the ripe age of 63. Notice I omitted the usual “old” as to be honest, as I’ve never been old before and I wouldn’t know how it feels. Excited, slightly scared and have started training already. I have joined the forum because whilst YouTube is useful you can’t ask questions. I am now going to have look to see if there is an existing thread re footwear as this is my first research item. Thanks Bon Camino
Hi I did part of the Norte and last 100km of the French route 2019 aged 67 years. Had a great time lost toenails and had big blisters but what fun.You will enjoy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome Steve.
I too was 63 when I started my first Camino in 2007. I have been on the Camino or volunteering or doing both almost every year since. While joints and muscles age and ache, being a pilgrim to Santiago de Compostela has kept me young at heart, still excited and slightly scared every time, but determined to stay safe from Covid so I can go on pilgrimage once again. Buen Camino Steve.

A mere babe, Steve. I was 65 when I walked my first Camino, the Francés, last year. It was a brilliant experience. Should have been flying out to start Camino number two (Portuguese) tomorrow, but OH poorly. So, it'll be at 67 then.

I am now going to have look to see if there is an existing thread re footwear
Ah! A sense of humour! ;)

Look in the Equipment forum, and specifically the tag "foot wear and care." If those 200+ threads (those are only the recently tagged ones) can't answer your questions, feel free to start a new thread.

Age is an odd phenomenon for people who take up walking. We get younger as we walk.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Welcome!
One suggestion is that searching 'footwear' or just 'shoes' posted by member @davebugg would be a good place to start. Then post your own question thread if there are any questions you still need answered.

Rhino feet are unique and will need special fitting. 🙃
Thanks VN I will try your suggestion, I’ve already been convinced re my trail shoes from the posts I’ve read (didn’t know the forum started when latin was common!) it’s just walking sandals now I need some advice/insight or use. Thanks Stay safe Steve

Welcome Steve.
I too was 63 when I started my first Camino in 2007. I have been on the Camino or volunteering or doing both almost every year since. While joints and muscles age and ache, being a pilgrim to Santiago de Compostela has kept me young at heart, still excited and slightly scared every time, but determined to stay safe from Covid so I can go on pilgrimage once again. Buen Camino Steve.
Hi Lydia fair play to you it’s inspiring to hear. I have learnt so much in such a short time on the site it’s giving me the confidence to have a go. Stay safe Steve

Welcome to the forum, Rhino!
You will get lots of advise on shoes; if you were a centipede you could try them all out at the same time.😅

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome to the forum, Rhino!
You will get lots of advise on shoes; if you were a centipede you could try them all out at the same time.😅
Hi Chrissy don’t I know already. I was following a great discussion on trekking sandals for it to change into a Croc “fest”? I’m learning quickly. That said Ive clarified how yo get my poles to St Jean and travel insurance. Two items ticked off. Thanks Stay safe Steve

Hi Chrissy don’t I know already. I was following a great discussion on trekking sandals for it to change into a Croc “fest”? I’m learning quickly. That said Ive clarified how yo get my poles to St Jean and travel insurance. Two items ticked off. Thanks Stay safe Steve
Well, Steve, you just may change your mind on the things you have ticked off your list if you keep reading; sometimes additional advise can make your head spin, but it's still part of the fun of planning.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.