• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

5ilver

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello Fellow Camino Travellers,

I only learnt about this trail recently and my head is buzzing with questions.

First question which I am sure is very common is:

Which camino trail should i consider for me when there are so many options.

Any advice / suggestions are welcomed.

Thanking you all in advance!
:)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi and welcome to the forum @5ilver

That really depends on several factors: Time of the year available, is important for you to reach Santiago that year, how many km/mi can you walk a day, how fit are you etc?

Buen Camino, SY

Hi @5ilver and welcome to the forum.

As @SYates said, there are many factors to consider. You might want to check if you have a local pilgrim association - some hold information evenings or have very helpful websites (for example - the CSJ in the UK, APOC in the US, the Canadian Company of Pilgrims and many more). You'll find a lot of useful information to help you understand a little more about walking a Camino and the different route options.

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi and welcome to the forum @5ilver

That really depends on several factors: Time of the year available, is important for you to reach Santiago that year, how many km/mi can you walk a day, how fit are you etc?

Buen Camino, SY

Thank you @SYates for your input!
I definitely am keen to do the whole entire leg of 800+kms
Am open to suggestions on the time of year.

What? :eek:Are you looking to incite a riot here?:)
seriously, welcome...you will find everyone has a favorite...and with your planned route in 2018, plenty of time to look around at each of the different route's threads and read about them in this forum and online in other places. Each has its own pros and cons, which also each differ with the season.
Good luck with a tough decision:)

Hello Fellow Camino Travellers,

I only learnt about this trail recently and my head is buzzing with questions.

First question which I am sure is very common is:

Any advice / suggestions are welcomed.

Thanking you all in advance!
:)
Or perhaps your question could be, "which trail should I do first?"?

Whichever you decide, enjoy the whole process of researching, planning, packing, walkingwalkingwalking, reflecting. . . :)

Buen camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What? :eek:Are you looking to incite a riot here?:)
seriously, welcome...you will find everyone has a favorite...and with your planned route in 2018, plenty of time to look around at each of the different route's threads and read about them in this forum and online in other places. Each has its own pros and cons, which also each differ with the season.
Good luck with a tough decision:)
hahaha....nothing wrong with a little debate. I WOULD indeed love to hear people's favourite and their reasons. What is yours? ;)

Or perhaps your question could be, "which trail should I do first?"?

Whichever you decide, enjoy the whole process of researching, planning, packing, walkingwalkingwalking, reflecting. . . :)

Buen camino!

Thank you for your two cents. Can i enquire which one you did first and why? :)

SJPP to Santiago. . . It seemed like a good idea at the time to my traveling partner so I went along for a lark. I knew nothing about the Camino, but the Camino knew what I needed. It unexpectedly changed my life and now I need to go back. . . For the third time!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I pasted one together out of parts (a Franken-camino?), because there were things I wanted to see on several of them, and I wanted to avoid large crowds--so I tried to walk the parts I wanted to see on the Frances early in my time frame. People who want more company along the way would probably not follow the path I designed but that is the beauty of it--there really aren't any rules, unless you want a Compostella, and then it is simple...walk the last 100km and get two sellos a day...whatever else you do is up to you :)
I read an over-view of each route, looked up things to see along the way, and from this forum had an idea of where people were less likely to be and when. Changing routes frequently meant I met different people, but it also meant I didn't share the road long with any of them until the Primitivo...and even then I walked some steps out of sync. Most people I think like sticking to one route, and making friends on it that you run into again and again... which route/when you walk depends on what you want out of it.
Choosing a favorite is like choosing a favorite child...I love them all the same but differently. But maybe I loved the Primitivo just a little bit more (just don't tell the other routes). It suited me.

I have a favourite camino and I might be wrong as it was my first and only so far but I won´t mentioned the camino ( the way that should not be named)
My next will be the portuguese from Porto to Santiago in May 2017.
Buen Camino.

If you decide to walk the Camino Frances and have no time constrain:
  • don't start in SJPP, but take a few days to walk in France before SJPP (on Le Chemin du Puy, la Voie de VĂ©zelay or La Voie de Tours)
  • reaching Santiago is often an emotional peak (or low :(), so plan some days more to go to Fisterra or Muxia
For the time of the year, it will depend on:
  • How to live with high (30-40 °C) or low (below 0 °C) temperatures?
  • Do you prefer to walk in the crowds or alone?
  • Are you "allergic" to rain and/or snow?
So start to plan and enjoy it, it's a big fun which can even last longer than the walk itself :D

Buen Camino,
Jacques-D.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I pasted one together out of parts (a Franken-camino?), because there were things I wanted to see on several of them, and I wanted to avoid large crowds--so I tried to walk the parts I wanted to see on the Frances early in my time frame. People who want more company along the way would probably not follow the path I designed but that is the beauty of it--there really aren't any rules, unless you want a Compostella, and then it is simple...walk the last 100km and get two sellos a day...whatever else you do is up to you :)
I read an over-view of each route, looked up things to see along the way, and from this forum had an idea of where people were less likely to be and when. Changing routes frequently meant I met different people, but it also meant I didn't share the road long with any of them until the Primitivo...and even then I walked some steps out of sync. Most people I think like sticking to one route, and making friends on it that you run into again and again... which route/when you walk depends on what you want out of it.
Choosing a favorite is like choosing a favorite child...I love them all the same but differently. But maybe I loved the Primitivo just a little bit more (just don't tell the other routes). It suited me.

So Camino Primitivo is the original route, which goes through the mountains etc. I heard it is more physically challenging, but easily the most scenic. Did you find that to be true? Did you camp along this route? :)

So Camino Primitivo is the original route, which goes through the mountains etc. I heard it is more physically challenging, but easily the most scenic. Did you find that to be true? Did you camp along this route? :)
I think parts are more challenging than average but it's very doable. There are challenging sections on every Camino so I wouldn't say it's more so than others. One thing that can be more difficult is there are some long stretches without lodging and sometimes food--definitely more so than the Frances. So it's not as easy to just stop. I thought it was beautiful, and I walked each day alone. It's not great for someone who wants to meet lots and lots of people, or have a party time. While there are some campgrounds on the Norte and Frances I'm pretty sure none on the Primitivo. Wild camping is illegal, and the land that isn't farmed has loose roaming cattle (including bulls). What is forest has bears and wolves...so not a great camping route. There was a thread recently, search camping on the Primitivo --someone listed the albergues she thought might let someone camp on their property (expect to pay a fee). I think also the weather might be too cold a good part of the year. I wouldn't suggest camping on any route--few campgrounds, wild camping carries a big fine if caught, and you miss the experience of sharing with other pilgrims. If you plan to camp I'd contact the albergues on the route you choose well in advance to see if they would allow you to camp, and their fee. It in my opinion weight you would carry to little advantage, and it would be somewhat isolating. If you want privacy I'd say find small private albergues that have private rooms. If camping to save costs, I'd look for inexpensive albergues or donativo (not free but pay as much as able)
Hope this helps--check out the Primitivo forum for people's thoughts, experiences, etc

Also, I thought the Norte was very pretty --beaches, forests, great food, amazing architecture. There are some long steps on it also but the Norte has excellent public transportation so if you need to use it (sick, hurt, tired) it's easier than being on the top of a mountain)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.