• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

No trekking poles in Porto

bschuschke

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
my friend and I are staring the coastal walk from porto to Santiago tomorrow September 29th. We came from US and didn’t want to check our backpacks due to taking poles on our flight. Figured we’d buy a cheap pair in Porto on arrival. Decathalon completely sold out. Camping store had 1pair of expensive poles left. We purchased-each of us only gets 1 pole each. Just a heads up about purchasing. Both stores are amazed how they can not keep enough in stock!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Did you try the North Face store in downtown? It's not far from the cathedral.

Address: Praça Trindade 138, 4000-539 Porto, Portugal
Hours: Opens 10 AM Fri
Phone: +351 22 092 5844

I've attached an image of a map showing the location.

We got our poles here. They're definitely not the 10 Euro per pole like you'll find in a Decathalon, but better than no poles?

Attachments

• NR Porto.png
    NR Porto.png
    186.6 KB · Views: 20
What I did in April: Asked at the private Albergue where I stayed in Porto if they had any left poles, and they did. Apparently many pilgrims fly out of Porto post camino, and leave poles at the albergues. They had 5 pairs that I could choose from.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yip, the CP did gain in popularity massively.
Pilgrims arriving after 3-4pm in Vila do Conde or Redondela didn't found a bed in town and had to walk further on.
On my way in July I had to change my plans due to the fact that 4 different Albergues I had planned to stay in I luckily called from Caminha before crossing to Spain, told me that they are booked out for the next two nights. So I walked on to Tui.
I didn't know beforehand that there would be the catholic youth assambling in Lisbon in July, wondering about the bigger groups on the way using identical backpacks and ponchos 😂 .

my friend and I are staring the coastal walk from porto to Santiago tomorrow September 29th. We came from US and didn’t want to check our backpacks due to taking poles on our flight. Figured we’d buy a cheap pair in Porto on arrival. Decathalon completely sold out. Camping store had 1pair of expensive poles left. We purchased-each of us only gets 1 pole each. Just a heads up about purchasing. Both stores are amazed how they can not keep enough in stock!!
We purchased ours at an Oriental store 8.50 euros each.

An earlier post several months ago mentioned a sporting goods store near the historic market on Santa Catalina. I stumbled onto the market and went down the lower level and found the store. I asked about trekking poles and they had them for 21 euros each. I bought a set but did not see rubber tips so I will use these sparingly since I am a critic of the noisy tapping sound.

I also wanted a swiss army knife to cut cheese and chorizo, open bottles of beer and uncork wine. The store did not have any. I went to the famous open market to buy cheese, sausage and fruit. Across from a cheese stand there was a stand selling hand forged knives! I was thrilled! I bought a two blade knife with bottle opener and corkscrew with handle made from cherry wiod. And they enscribed “Camino Bob 2023” on the blade.

I’m now on CP in Esposende enjoying the hike along the coast and my new knife. Will be using my trekking poles in a few days.

Attachments

• 84313C03-575D-45A2-883B-6C9382EFDCB2.jpeg
    84313C03-575D-45A2-883B-6C9382EFDCB2.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Check for a Pilgrim’s store… they are everywhere

Hi, I just ended the Camino coastal Portugese, with one pole, perfect. I walked the Variante Espiritual with some high stages and all went well. I kept the free hand on the backpacks belts or held a water bottle in it.
I also walked with one pole in April from Leon to Santiago with really high ascents, no probles. Buon Camino wishes Wippe 76 yrs old

On Google it seem there are several Decathlon in the area (including one very near the airport from which I bought my poles a few years ago). Perhaps check their websites to see if other Decathlons have them in stock?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked the Coastal in April. I was just fine without sticks. I don't feel you need them. I was glad to not have to carry them.

2 years ago on the Norte, I was glad to have them.

For those planning on buying poles in Decathlon:
If you want to make sure that you'll be able to get poles (or any other item), you can purchase them online and ask for the package be delivered to the store (free of charge)

Does anyone have an update on the availability of poles (meaning in stock) at Decatholon Boavista? I need to acquire poles on Tuesday the 17th in Porto. I've written the store to see if they are in stock but no word yet. The OP ws from Sept 28 so maybe they're back in stock. Any know?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Does anyone have an update on the availability of poles (meaning in stock) at Decatholon Boavista? I need to acquire poles on Tuesday the 17th in Porto. I've written the store to see if they are in stock but no word yet. The OP ws from Sept 28 so maybe they're back in stock. Any know?
You can check the stock yourself on their website.
1. Open the product you want
2. On the right, under the description / colour, look for "Recolha em loja"
3. Click there and choose the store

Does anyone have an update on the availability of poles (meaning in stock) at Decatholon Boavista?
You can check their website to see what's in stock.

When you find the poles that you want you can check the stock at a particular store.

You can check their website to see what's in stock.

When you find the poles that you want you can check the stock at a particular store.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just look in the numerous oriental bazaar type stores that are in many Spanish and Portuguese cities. I bought mine for 6 euros this year.

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back