• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Affordable Accommodation on Norte Camino in 2022

Dadhairday

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (2020)
Hi I’m hoping to walk the Norte starting early April 2022. However, I’m concerned that the municipal albergues may not be open due to Covid. I can’t afford €50 per night that seems necessary for hotels etc. Anyone got experiences from 2021 or insight into likely scenario for Spring 2022?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We walked it in late September/early December - as you stated, the many closed albergues meant seeking out other accommodations, usually hotels at a cost averaging US$50-60 a night. Definitely a bummer. Other walkers shared accommodations with pilgrims they had just met, but it still made for an expensive walk. This was especially true in Basque Country as that federation shuttered all their buildings.

No word on what will be open in 2022.

I'm in wait-and-see mode on 2022. Over the past few weeks, I've sent out emails to all accommodations on the Norte, along with amigos groups involved with albergues. It's not great timing, since many are shut down for the season (never mind COVID) and on holiday, but it's the school break, so it's what I've got.

Last summer, I tracked responses from accommodations on their 2021 openings here. It was only partially successful in terms of response-rate, but it offered a snapshot.

I'm now expanding that, into a more complete breakdown of accommodation info for 2022. (Those are actually different tabs in the same sheet, for simplicity's sake.) For now, I'm manually adding in details for all municipal albergues, based on a return to pre-COVID levels. Consider me an optimist. As they all make decisions about 2022 openings, I'll update accordingly. Some have already let me know that they're remaining limited in 2022 (those are highlighted yellow); in some cases, this is because they "took advantage" of COVID closures to move forward with structural repairs. I've gotten word from others that they're officially shutting down, and I'm listing all closures at the bottom of the doc.

Anyway, it's a big work in progress, but hopefully it will become more useful over the next few months.

Dave

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm in wait-and-see mode on 2022. Over the past few weeks, I've sent out emails to all accommodations on the Norte, along with amigos groups involved with albergues. It's not great timing, since many are shut down for the season (never mind COVID) and on holiday, but it's the school break, so it's what I've got.

Last summer, I tracked responses from accommodations on their 2021 openings here. It was only partially successful in terms of response-rate, but it offered a snapshot.

I'm now expanding that, into a more complete breakdown of accommodation info for 2022. (Those are actually different tabs in the same sheet, for simplicity's sake.) For now, I'm manually adding in details for all municipal albergues, based on a return to pre-COVID levels. Consider me an optimist. As they all make decisions about 2022 openings, I'll update accordingly. Some have already let me know that they're remaining limited in 2022 (those are highlighted yellow); in some cases, this is because they "took advantage" of COVID closures to move forward with structural repairs. I've gotten word from others that they're officially shutting down, and I'm listing all closures at the bottom of the doc.

Anyway, it's a big work in progress, but hopefully it will become more useful over the next few months.

Dave
Great work Dave. Will check out your spreadsheet again nearer decision time!

Dave
Such great job. Thank you very much Dave for sharing your document with us...I find it very helpful.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good job.

No, ***great*** job.

Thanks.

I'll be starting the Del Norte mi-april 2022.

Maybe some useful links for you guys.

Please remember, this is Covid time. Call before hand.

https://tourism.euskadi.eus/conteni...os/2011/santiago/Caminos del Norte INGLES.pdf

GPX:
https://www.santiago.nl/sites/default/files/GPS/Jacobswegen-wandelaars-ES-20180313.gpx

https://www.santiago.nl/

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Dave
Hi Dave, now we are in March and I’m trying to plan. Have you any sense that the albergues are opening soon for 2022? Your helpful spreadsheet suggests not much on offer. Dave

Hi Dave, now we are in March and I’m trying to plan. Have you any sense that the albergues are opening soon for 2022? Your helpful spreadsheet suggests not much on offer. Dave
Im walking through at the moment...might be able to add some info from my experience if I find a computer/way to access the spreadsheet! There's been lots shut (from Hendaye to Oviedo so far) but I've managed every night with a little occasional help from Couchsurfing, pensions and Airbnb once :)

Im walking through at the moment...might be able to add some info from my experience if I find a computer/way to access the spreadsheet! There's been lots shut (from Hendaye to Oviedo so far) but I've managed every night with a little occasional help from Couchsurfing, pensions and Airbnb once :)
Good for you. Any info on the albergue at pasiaa Santa Ana? I need a place to stay between Irun and San Sebastián. Dave

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Juliep7- we are cycling the Norte and then from Santiago to Porto through April. I hadn't thought about things being closed due to covid now. We would appreciate any info you might have. Thanks all for. Your help.

Good for you. Any info on the albergue at pasiaa Santa Ana? I need a place to stay between Irun and San Sebastián. Dave

Hi Dave. You may want to try an airb&b I discovered (its not an albergue) but private rooms. It is across the water from san juan pasajes - name is Preciosa Habitacion in Pasaia. Host is Sandra. # is 34 691 861 526. Buen camino.

Hi Dave. You may want to try an airb&b I discovered (its not an albergue) but private rooms. It is across the water from san juan pasajes - name is Preciosa Habitacion in Pasaia. Host is Sandra. # is 34 691 861 526. Buen camino.
Thank you. I had spotted this too but it’s expensive compared to hostels so a last resort for me.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When we walked in 2021, Sandra’s AirBnB was pretty much the only game in town. She was very kind, we had access to a kitchen, and honestly were grateful that it was so inexpensive.

Also planning to start the Norte in Irun, around 27 April. If there's any updates available on the albuerges, I'd love to know!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Haha, that's good spirit! I was a bit worried after I read the messages, but quite some of the albergues seem to be opened. So I think I'll try to plan ahead for maybe 3 nights, and from then find out along the way. It's just hard to assess the situation without having ever been on the camino, but no one seems to get into serious trouble.

Encouraging signs! Irún's albergue is open. The HOSVOBI albergues (like Markina) haven't set an official date, but they will be open in 2022. My sense at this point is that the majority of albergues will be back in operation this year.

2021 was difficult and expensive because Covid closed the cheaper, group accommodations. If these rumors are correct and everything reopens, then walking the Norte will return to only being slightly pricier than the C.Frances. Good news for all pilgrims!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For what it's worth, the source on the HOSVOBI albergues was HOSVOBI.

@Dave that is a fabulous list. Can you plop a copy in the Resources section?

We are lucky to have Dave as a member. I relied on his guidebook when I walked the Camino del Norte.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ordered guidebook on May 8th now it’s wait, wait , wait. I hope it arrives before I leave on June 14. 😊

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.