• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodations on the Norte

asl

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2023, Norte (2024)
I am planning to walk the Norte beginning in mid-August thru September. While the timing lines up with another trip, its also right in the middle of holiday season for Spaniards. Starting to get a little worried about availability of accommodations as the support system is not as robust as on the Frances, and options like pensions and hotels are requiring multiple night stays.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Never had ANY problem when walking in 2019 the Norte.
good luck
chronic walker

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Have you looked after the accommodation options in Gronze?

I have walked in Norte during that time frame and yes, accommodation can be tight. San Sebastian and Deba are 2 bottlenecks, I experienced.

I am planning to walk the Norte beginning in mid-August thru September. While the timing lines up with another trip, its also right in the middle of holiday season for Spaniards. Starting to get a little worried about availability of accommodations as the support system is not as robust as on the Frances, and options like pensions and hotels are requiring multiple night stays.
I walked the Norte starting 21 Sep last year, and the larger cities and beach towns along the coast were still full of surfers and beachgoers due to the warm weather. There are much less pilgrim support services, and many towns have no albergues, although you might find hostels, pensions and hotels. I typically do not book ahead until well after lunch for same day, so in several instances I had to walk an extra 10-15 km over what I had planned. Still, I was able to get accomodations every night for reasonable prices.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I have walked in Norte during that time frame and yes, accommodation can be tight. San Sebastian and Deba are 2 bottlenecks, I experienced.
Thanks for the suggestion, yes, have utilized Gronze's suggestions and that's how I learned of the multiple day stay requirement for a number of places.

With San Sebastian an early stage, I'm comfortable going ahead and pre-booking. Appreciate the guidance.

I share your concern. We are walking in July and early August. Pre booked San Sebastián and Bilbao. Others could be difficult too. Beun Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Deba was the bottleneck in 2021, but accommodations were easily available a short taxi ride away from the coast. The places that require a two night minimum gladly will let you stay one night if they have that gap between two longer stays OR you are asking in the afternoon and they have a room available (I speak from experience)

In perusing Gronze for places to stay in Markina and I noted that 1 of the 2 options (Hostel-Rural House Intxauspe) temporarily closed. Emailed them and will share any updates.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
In perusing Gronze for places to stay in Markina and I noted that 1 of the 2 options (Hostel-Rural House Intxauspe) temporarily closed. Emailed them and will share any updates.
I stayed there in 2018 and again last year. It's a nice place to stay, with a good communal dinner. Last year they didn't respond to my WhatsApp message, but I was able to reserve via email. There website wasn't working then or now.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, I walked the del Norte from Irun last September into early October with a small group of friends. Albergue accommodation was difficult in places early on, Deba and Castro Urdiales were examples, and we were warned that there was literally nothing available in Gernika. It wasn’t like that all the way, but until mid September, you’ll be in coastal holiday season as you know, and it’s likely to be busy. It was unseasonably warm too last year which meant the beaches remained popular later than normal.
We mixed and matched accommodation along the way using Albergues, small pensions and Airbnbs. We shared rooms to keep the cost down but if you’re travelling on your own, that may not be feasible. Mid September onwards it became easier partly due to the holiday season drawing to a close plus the fact that we were past Bilbao and the numbers thinned out.
My advice would be to try to get to your planned Albergue destination by about 2pm each day unless you’ve managed to book ahead. You can do that in a number of cases. Doing so takes away some of your flexibility but you don’t then have the stress of trying to find somewhere to sleep when you’re tired and hot after a long walk. The Wise Pilgrim app provides info on where you can book Albergues ahead.
We didn’t encounter minimum stay duration requirements in any of the small pensions/ b&bs/hotels we stayed in. Likewise the Airbnbs we stayed in were generally single night stays and there was no problem. Good luck with your planning. Some stunning scenery to look forward to!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi I am also walking the Norte in mid August.This is my third time and I have booked every night mostly via booking.com and direct.I have found it is very busy with holiday makers as well as pilgrims

Hi I am walking Norte in mid August from Santander and tI have walked this Camino in full twice before.I have booked every night as it is holidays and accommodation is tight already this far ahead.I like to know I have a bed.But you could take your chances.Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi I am walking Norte in mid August from Santander and tI have walked this Camino in full twice before.I have booked every night as it is holidays and accommodation is tight already this far ahead.I like to know I have a bed.But you could take your chances.Buen Cami

Hi I am also walking the Norte in mid August.This is my third time and I have booked every night mostly via booking.com and direct.I have found it is very busy with holiday makers as well as pilgrims
Good advice. We are walking the Norte starting in Irún in mid July finishing in mid August. I have only booked accommodation in the main centres. I wanted some degree of spontaneity and flexibility in day kilometres. Based on your advice I may revise that plan.

Curious, where do you prefer to start from?
I started my Camino del Norte in Biarritz last year, and highly recommend starting there or Bayonne. You get in two days of fairly flat walking before starting the climbs on the route in Spain.

Gronze has information about these early stages:

I started my Camino del Norte in Biarritz last year, and highly recommend starting there or Bayonne. You get in two days of fairly flat walking before starting the climbs on the route in Spain.

Gronze has information about these early stages:

Thanks! Thinking of spending a day in Bayonne then walking from Biarritz to shorten 1st day.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked from Irún last year from July to August. After a challenging first two days (San Sebastián and zarautz), I ended up booking ahead for the remainder. I would just find a place the night before and call ahead to make a reservation. I really liked that system because there typically wasn’t a fee if I had to change plans and go shorter or longer. I also never felt like I was in a rush or a bed race.

I second the albergue in izarbide after deba, it was one of my favorites. If you want to go a little long the next day, I also really love the monastery at zenarruza!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.