• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation issues on the Norte ?

Time of past OR future Camino
Inglès April 2023
Primitivo July 2023
Greetings all. I’ve got friends walking the Norte at the moment. They’re reporting that in Bilbao and onwards ( three days now) everything (budget) is full. Cheapest double they could get in Bilabao was €90, at 14.00 . The next three days prices haven’t been much better. Appreciate they could have booked ahead, but they hadn’t ( although now will). It seems incredibly early in the season for that sort of demand. Has anyone else on the trail come across this? Or have they just been unlucky? Are the numbers on the trail that high?🇳🇿

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Greetings all. I’ve got friends walking the Norte at the moment. They’re reporting that in Bilbao and onwards ( three days now) everything (budget) is full. Cheapest double they could get in Bilabao was €90, at 14.00 . The next three days prices haven’t been much better. Appreciate they could have booked ahead, but they hadn’t ( although now will). It seems incredibly early in the season for that sort of demand. Has anyone else on the trail come across this? Or have they just been unlucky? Are the numbers on the trail that high?🇳🇿

There is a big conference/ holiday expo going on in Bilbao. Three days.

There was also the First of May and people might have taken some extra days off for a small holiday.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Also - a lot of albergues do not open this early in the season. Many don't open until June 1. Have they used gronze .com to look? It usually has opening dates for the season. I almost didn't go last year (end of May start date) because I was worried about this - but it was so close to June 1 it wasn't a problem. Also - on the weekends the cities on the beaches are busier. I had less issues after Bilbao finding accommodations all around though.

Thanks. But I thought most of the Albergues opened April/ May?
I’ll check re: gronze
Depends on the route. I believe that is true of the Frances/Portuguese, but the Norte has less pilgrims and some don't open until later.

I don't know opening dates for other routes. I have done the Primitivo too - but it was the second half of June so I knew they would be open by then.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think most albergues on the Norte are open since Semana Santa (beginning of April). Beds are rather unequally divided along the stages on the Norte, so that might not help. And last weekend was a 'puente' (long weekend): Monday was a holiday and Tuesday was a holiday for people from Madrid (who tend to visit the northern coast a lot).

Thanks. But I thought most of the Albergues opened April/ May?
I’ll check re: gronze
I've noticed that the albergue in Lezama doesn't open until June 1. I'll be starting from Bayonne on the 19th, so I'm paying attention! The website for Albergue-Casa Rural Intxauspe in Markina where I stayed in 2018 isn't working, and they haven't answered my WhatsApp message.

I see on Gronze the two albergues are closed but after that they should be OK if they book ahead. It is however limited at each stage ending for communal accommodation

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’m currently on the Norte and already got shut out once at Deba on a Thursday!! Note that there are not many rooms in Deba to begin with but it surprised me given the scant number of pilgrims I saw on the trails. The solution was fairly easy since the train station is directly next to the Albergue. Ended up taking the local train back to Zarautz where there are plenty of places to stay then hopped an early morning train back to Deba and started where I left off. I’m actually having trouble finding places that give stamps. Even grocery stores on the Francis seem to have stamps. At this point it’s all moot given I lost my passport somehow after San Sebastián when I went off trail to P:). If you run across a passport that has a couple yellow spots on it (don’t worry P is sterile), it’s probably mine;).

I've noticed that the albergue in Lezama doesn't open until June 1. I'll be starting from Bayonne on the 19th, so I'm paying attention! The website for Albergue-Casa Rural Intxauspe in Markina where I stayed in 2018 isn't working, and they haven't answered my WhatsApp message.
I am just starting planning for the Norte and want to start from Bayonne myself. Would be interested in your planning from Bayonne to Irgun.
My thanks in advance!
Blessed travels!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’m on the Norte now, past Santander. Not too many pilgrims but growing since Bilbao.

Fining Accommodation has been ok but it will only get worse…surfers coming, tourist season approaching (staring earlier) and I’m hearing some pilgrims jumping from Francis to here because of the numbers

My reco booked first few nights ( no downside) especially Deba then see what the vibe is.

Buen Camino

Also - a lot of albergues do not open this early in the season. Many don't open until June 1. Have they used gronze .com to look? It usually has opening dates for the season. I almost didn't go last year (end of May start date) because I was worried about this - but it was so close to June 1 it wasn't a problem. Also - on the weekends the cities on the beaches are busier. I had less issues after Bilbao finding accommodations all around though.
I'll be starting the camino del norte from Irun on the 11th of july). How long in advance would yoy recommend booking the hostels? Is two days safe? Or is booking 3/4 days ahead necessary?

I'll be starting the camino del norte from Irun on the 11th of july). How long in advance would yoy recommend booking the hostels? Is two days safe? Or is booking 3/4 days ahead necessary?
I never booked more than 24 hours in advance. This was June 2022. Except San Sebastian - that one seemed to be filling up. It is a popular tourist destination. It seems to be more popular for July/August.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you have a pretty good idea of your itinerary, and usually the first week of the Norte is pretty locked in. I would definitely go for 3 to 4 days in advance almost no downside.

3 days. If you can skip Bilbao for Portugalete, much better.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.