• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte advice

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2023 Vasco, Meseta, Portugues Coastal
Just booked my flight for September 14. Figure at the latest I will start the 17th from Irún.
Camino number 4. I am 64. Would like to go without poles. Are they really necessary? Is the first day out tougher than the walk up to Orisson on Camino Francis. I know there is a lot of up and down the first 10 days or so. Last question, I know there are a lot of alternative routes to avoid some of the many treks on roads. How well are they marked? I have Wise Pilgrim book and Cicerone Northern Caminos on my kindle. Does anyone have a preference or opinion on how good either one is to use for those alternate routes so I don’t spend to much time lost?!!!! Haha Oh yea, flying into San Sebastian and after about a 17 hours flying I just want to eat and try to sleep. Any suggestions on a nice, comfortable, clean inexpensive and QUIET pension, hostel etc., something close to where I can walk around and see a little of the city? I planto stay in for 1 or 2 nights. I will take a bus to Irun check into the albergue and start my walk either 17 or 18. When I start walking I just want to stay in San Sebastian and get up early and start walking again. Figure I can stop by the cathedral in San Sebastian for my Passport. I do kind of remember I read I can get a Passport in the Albergue in Irun. How is the Albergue de Perigrinos? Any help would be appreciated. Any other cool albergues, cheap eat suggestions or routes to take along the way would also be nice to read about. I intend to go all the way on the Norte. Unless someone can convince me otherwise.
Thanks again to all!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I stayed at Pension Grosen for two nights. Private room and bath, clean, a good location and not expensive. Found it on booking.com

hyu have a lot of time before you leave (September?). Why not just order a credential from the forum store...Casa Ivar? That way you have it with you and are not subject to arriving and not being able to obtain one for the first day or so. Everyone will tell you that albergues and many churches have them. My experience is that some do and some don't. Those that usually have them..sometimes are out.
I would not rely on finding one on your first day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked the Norte in 2016 (Sep-Oct), I was 60. I found my poles to be invaluable. I have not walked the Frances but will say that many of the ascents and descents on the Norte are quite rocky and at times slippery. Careful foot placement and poles saved me from many a fall. In San Sebastian we (three woman) shared a room in a flat that we found on Airbnb, perhaps called "Javier's". Reasonably priced, city center, and Javier was wonderful. We stayed in a mixture of albergues, hostels and pensions but my favorite albergue by far was in the village of Muros de Nalon, "Casa Carmina". Well run, clean, comfortable and the pilgrims meal was excellent. Carmina has wine, beer and snacks in her dining area as well and also serves breakfast.

I think the airport of San Sebastian is much closer to Irun than to San Sebastian. You could easily go to Irun from the airport and stay in the albergue where you probably can get a credencial.

Just booked my flight for September 14. Figure at the latest I will start the 17th from Irún.
Camino number 4. I am 64. Would like to go without poles. Are they really necessary? Is the first day out tougher than the walk up to Orisson on Camino Francis. I know there is a lot of up and down the first 10 days or so. Last question, I know there are a lot of alternative routes to avoid some of the many treks on roads. How well are they marked? I have Wise Pilgrim book and Cicerone Northern Caminos on my kindle. Does anyone have a preference or opinion on how good either one is to use for those alternate routes so I don’t spend to much time lost?!!!! Haha Oh yea, flying into San Sebastian and after about a 17 hours flying I just want to eat and try to sleep. Any suggestions on a nice, comfortable, clean inexpensive and QUIET pension, hostel etc., something close to where I can walk around and see a little of the city? I planto stay in for 1 or 2 nights. I will take a bus to Irun check into the albergue and start my walk either 17 or 18. When I start walking I just want to stay in San Sebastian and get up early and start walking again. Figure I can stop by the cathedral in San Sebastian for my Passport. I do kind of remember I read I can get a Passport in the Albergue in Irun. How is the Albergue de Perigrinos? Any help would be appreciated. Any other cool albergues, cheap eat suggestions or routes to take along the way would also be nice to read about. I intend to go all the way on the Norte. Unless someone can convince me otherwise.
Thanks again to all!
Thanks again to all!
I walked from Irun to Santander late September last year and also found some very slippery, muddy sections. I use one pole and found it invaluable. If you use the concerns guide, be sure to check online for updates! Personally I found the guide confusing at timies with all the alternative route descriptions. I am always amazed how guidebooks from different countries have such varying descriptions and even information on the route. I walked with a lady from Germany at one point and the detail in the directions at one point left no doubt that the author had walked that path! I found this section of the Norte was very challenging but equally rewarding in terms of scenery. I can't begin to describe the beauty of the coastal path. There were a few road walking sections that were very unpleasant but nothing could detract from the overall experience. In late September there some beaches that were empty or only had surfers. San Sebastian was very busy but I walked through and didn't stop there.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked from Irun to Santander late September last year and also found some very slippery, muddy sections. I use one pole and found it invaluable. If you use the concerns guide, be sure to check online for updates! Personally I found the guide confusing at timies with all the alternative route descriptions. I am always amazed how guidebooks from different countries have such varying descriptions and even information on the route. I walked with a lady from Germany at one point and the detail in the directions at one point left no doubt that the author had walked that path! I found this section of the Norte was very challenging but equally rewarding in terms of scenery. I can't begin to describe the beauty of the coastal path. There were a few road walking sections that were very unpleasant but nothing could detract from the overall experience. In late September there some beaches that were empty or only had surfers. San Sebastian was very busy but I walked through and didn't stop there.
That should read Cicerone guide-predictive text!

Thanks so much to everyone. Pilgrims are the best!

Thanks again to all!

Im 60 and fairly fit I’m on the Norte now Day 25 started in Irun. Yes yes yes you cannot do El Norte without poles: help to climb (a lot) of), help to break steep downhills, to wade thru MUD MUD MUD, to jump around and through and over WATER WATER WATER plus there are lose dogs this time (I’m not afraid but poles can be used to shoo them away, poles to defend yourself.....and that’s not even mentioning the physiological benefits. Need I say more? But a cheap pair for 15€ in Irun

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’m almost sixty and i’m on Norte now, just fourth day. You can do without poles, but I have to confess that they are useful when going up on a soft surface and on muddy trails and there are plenty of both of them.
Pension Kokxa in San Sebastián was excellent, cheap, clean and in old town.

Im 60 and fairly fit I’m on the Norte now Day 25 started in Irun. Yes yes yes you cannot do El Norte without poles: help to climb (a lot) of), help to break steep downhills, to wade thru MUD MUD MUD, to jump around and through and over WATER WATER WATER plus there are lose dogs this time (I’m not afraid but poles can be used to shoo them away, poles to defend yourself.....and that’s not even mentioning the physiological benefits. Need I say more? But a cheap pair for 15€ in Irun

Haha, I've been following you. I'd say you're very fit. ;-)

I loved the Norte. I find poles really useful and they take quite a bit of pressure off your legs which is significant over the whole distance.
I used the Cicerone guide and it was adequate.
A must stay albergue is in Guemes. Guemes Albergue.
Another great Albergue is in Boo...Albergue Piedad. Both of these are in the Cicerone guide book.

In Cadavedo we stayed at Casa Family Astur. At lovely family run B&B very helpful and a massive breakfast. I highly recommend theses guys. You can find them by googling.
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi if I wanted to do the Del Norte and had 2 weeks any recommendations (would be much appreciated ) and which part of the Norte would be less challenging. Marianne
Hi. I only have 7 days and will be walking from Irun to Bilboa end of April, first week of May. Aside from booking ahead in San Sebastián and Bilbao, do I need to book in advance or will I have...
Hello, I am brand new to the Camino and am planning to hike the Norte and Primitive routes starting mid-May, 2024. I think I have access to most of the resources I need except I don't seem to be...
Hi all, and thank you in an advance for your time and consideration :) I'm very much in my "Camino dreaming" phase, but next year I'll be looking to pre-book some of my accomodation for my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.