• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte Mountain Route - Soto to Cadevedo

mb4869

Time of past OR future Camino
April / May 2024 - Camino del Norte
Hi, Im currently on the CDN at Sam Martin de Laspa. Has anyone done the Mountain route recently between Soto de Luina and Cadavedo. Some guides say it’s impassable but others say it’s not? Would appreciate some recent experience.

Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I did it last July and it was great except for a few terrifying encounters with guard dogs. If the weather is bad I would skip it, it's very exposed on top.

Hi, Im currently on the CDN at Sam Martin de Laspa. Has anyone done the Mountain route recently between Soto de Luina and Cadavedo. Some guides say it’s impassable but others say it’s not? Would appreciate some recent experience.

Buen Camino
Hi I did on Sept7 last year and it was a bad experience. The paths were overgrown and almost impassable. I lost signal for awhile and missed a way marker. As the route was little used the steep decline was more challenging. I remember that when I got down to the road I crossed the road to take the official path into Cadavedo. That was also overgrown and difficult to walk on. I was sorry I didn't just stay on the road for the last few kms. I would not take that route again. Buen Camino

I can't speak to the mountain route, but I did the coastal variation almost exactly a year ago. We walked close to the coast whenever possible and it included some of my favorite vistas of the whole trip.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It's a great route if you don't mind some tough patches and walking it alone but I did it summer 2022 so the information is not current. The hospitalero at the municipal albergue tells everyone, every year, to take the coastal route. I personally would not take it if raining.

Have just done the costal route, stayed on the road all the time, as advised by Pepe. He marked the costal way and I got into town at 6pm. Got a fantastic apartment further out of town for €25. Overall a great ending to a long day on the Norte. Two restaurants are the red casa and the camping ground . Miki Goldie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Our hospitalera had video of the mountain route from last summer: very overgrown, missing signs, but a beautiful view. She said only to do it if it’s absolutely clear and you have gps. As for the costal route, it’s poorly maintained. If it’s raining or been raining, stay on the road.

Our hospitalera had video of the mountain route from last summer: very overgrown, missing signs, but a beautiful view. She said only to do it if it’s absolutely clear and you have gps. As for the costal route, it’s poorly maintained. If it’s raining or been raining, stay on the road.
I almost never opt for taking roads to avoid Camino trails. I took the coastal route on that stretch on a somewhat foggy day and it was an up and down slog through seemingly endless eucalyptus forests, with not many views of the sea. In hindsight, I would have preferred the road unless it was one with much traffic.

I almost never opt for taking roads to avoid Camino trails. I took the coastal route on that stretch on a somewhat foggy day and it was an up and down slog through seemingly endless eucalyptus forests, with not many views of the sea. In hindsight, I would have preferred the road unless it was one with much traffic.
We took the endless up and down through the eucalyptus forests in a pretty steady rain this March. There were a few shin deep streams to cross with all the water, and the muddy eucalyptus debris was out to trip you up the whole time. At the junction we stared wistfully at the sign for the mountain route, looked at the weather, and re-read the warnings on Gronze and decided Balotas was the better choice. We started in Cudillero (much recommended!) and it might have been our hardest day this trip. But Cadavedo was great, and dinner and bed that night sure was welcome!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We also spent time in Cudillero and it was a highlight, and we also stayed in Cadavedo.
Your experience in lots of rain in the Eucalyptus forests sounds much like ours, but even worse. 😐

Question—this is my first camino and it looks like straight rain every day. Does it actually rain all day? I’m considering re-scheduling my trip if so. I don’t want to hike in rain only for weeks.

I’ve been walking for two weeks from Bilbao. It’s rained probably 1/3 of those days. On the days it did rain, it lasted from minutes to hours. It’s weather - hard to predict what you are going to get.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Question—this is my first camino and it looks like straight rain every day. Does it actually rain all day? I’m considering re-scheduling my trip if so. I don’t want to hike in rain only for weeks.
There's no way to predict the future, but in my experience, it almost never rains all day. I personally would not and have not adjusted my plans because of predictions which may or may not be accurate.

More often than not the forecast shows some rain every day, and over the 10 or so weeks I've walked the Camino (Frances and Norte), if I had to guess it's something like:
  • 60% of the days either no rain, or at most a slight drizzle for an hour or two. You might not even want to put on a rain jacket or poncho if it's warm enough.
  • 20% of the days rain for an hour or two steady enough or cold enough we've put on rain gear
  • 15% of the days rain for maybe half the day and we've put on rain gear for that half
  • 5% of the days, it rained most of the day and we just mucked along and extra enjoyed a nice hot shower, a dry roof, and dinner afterwards
I think the longest stretch I can remember is 4 days in a row in those last 15% and 5% buckets combined.

As we walk in March, some of that rain above was sometimes snow. I actually love walking in snow, so these are usually magical bonus days!

Try not to be discouraged. With good attitude (and reasonable gear), I've found it's just a part of the journey and it adds to the depth of my experience and memories. Some of those memories may be "wow, I remember that day along the coast with the wind blowing rain right into my eyeballs and wasn't that something". ;)

Just seen all of these comments! The coastal route was beautiful. Wild flowers everywhere. Yes it’s ups and downs and a number of stream crossings but the eucalyptus forests are maginificent and the coastal views great. Make sure you visit the Playa del Silencio, it’s off route but well worth the visit. Those people that have commented they would rather take the pavement pounding are missing out on the most amazing Camino experiences

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, I have read all the threads on this topic and seen multiple replies. Some are positive others seem to be vague. Ok travel if this route what cities offer the best cultural...
We are here in Irun, staying at Hotel Alcazar. Where do we start the Camino?
Hi, I am embarking on my first camino tomorrow and have been searching for some albergues to stay in. I will be doing the Camino del Norte and will be starting in Gijon. I am looking in Muros de...
Originally I planned to start CdN from Irun directly, thus I booked a flight to San Sebastian Airport (EAS). However, I've read several guides and learned that the Basque Coast towns are worth...
Dear pilgrim companions. We are currently cycling the CDN, battery free, and will soon arrive in Gijon. We have arranged to spend the arrival night here then catch train/bus to Oviedo for 2 nights...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.