• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte Route late October start 2011

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances10, Norte11, Frances16, Primitivo23
Suggestion where to get a passport? Looks like many places are closed up.
I will not book flight until summer, flying from North America, probably
into Paris. Any suggestions for travel to Irun, Spain.
Walked The French Way last year, same month. I suspect this route Norte will have
some difficulties.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Welcome back to the Forum.

May I suggest you check the Pilgrim FAQ on the top right of the page...

Also, the Camino del Norte for specific info on that Way.

Even in the "season" the North Route is less traveled and, as you say...some difficulties...but nothing that can't be rendered a mere inconvenience.

Buen Camino

Arn

Del Norte and Primitivo June/July 2011

I feel I have done my 'homework' thoroughly enough but maybe there is a snippet of advice via the forum that will stand me in good stead, for my journey which starts 9 June from Irun. Is there anyone else walking that Way then?
Joy

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Joy...welcome!

May I suggest that you take a look at the Camino Calendar at the bottom right of this page. You can see whom else will be on the del Norte at the same time. And, put in your dates for others.

To just look at the calendar...click on: Pilgrim Calendar

If you want to enter your info, some folks get confused with the "sign in" because a Google Calendar comes up.

In the sign in: caminocalendar

PW: peregrino

Buen Camino

Arn

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Colm. No technical information to offer yet. Two or three veterans I met on The French Way
last October did mention The Norte as being the most beautiful and rewarding so far. Inspired
me. With respect to all Ways of course.

The Norte has very beautiful scenery, a lot of walking on roads as well as paths, less and smaller albergues. I walked it in Sept. 2009 and always managed to find a bed. I switched to the Primitivo at Oviedo though, and here the mornings were getting quite (frosty) cold. I would imagine if you are not starting till Oct. by the time you get to Galicia it will be starting to get wet and cold. You might also need to check on accomodation ahead of time too. If you choose the Primitivo at Oviedo take heed of the weather forcast at this time if you are planning to take the Hospitales route. I went over on a lovely clear autumn day with many pilgrims walking behind me - taking it further into autumn with much less traffic might be more risky interms of "bush" safety. Cheers, Janet

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.