• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Novice From Northen England

ChrisT

Time of past OR future Camino
Last 100k of the French Way Nov 2017
Porto to Santiago Sept 2018
Hi All,

I am looking to do the last 100km of the Camino from Sarria to Santiago at the beginning of November 2017. I'm doing it in memory of my mother who always wanted to do it but never got round to it before she sadly passed away.

I am wondering what is the best way to get to Sarria from the north of England? At this time of year the only direct flights to Santiago seen to be from Stansted or Gatwick which are at least 5 hrs from me and the flight times aren't great. Also Stansted is with Ryan Air and don't really trust them!

Can anyone advise who has been off season from the north? Would the Manchester to Madrid flight be best and then train to Sarria? (Again this is Ryanair).

I can travel to airports n the UK but would prefer a northern one. I see there are flights from Heathrow to A Coruna. Is that an option?

Thanks in advance.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A flight to A Coruña sounds good. According to Rome2Rio.com you can take the train or bus from there to Sarria
Screenshot_20171005-115852.png

Hi, you could take a look at Aerlingus from Dublin, direct to Santiago. From there you could take a bus to Sarria.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, you could take a look at Aerlingus from Dublin, direct to Santiago. From there you could take a bus to Sarria.
Thanks, I was looking for a direct flight really. I don't think there is an easy way from the north of England.

I've found Heathrow to A Coruna on Vueling a quick and convenient way to get from the UK to Santiago. The flight Is only an hour.And pretty cheap too. I've just paid €32 for a flight next April. A Coruna is a nice little airport, and the shuttle bus stop is a short walk from the train and bus stations.

However airport parking at Heathrow can cost more than the flight. If you have an early flight, rooms at one of the Travelodge are often less than ÂŁ30.

An alternative is to fly to Madrid, then take the 5 hour train to Sarria. It's easy but time consuming. Returning you can fly Iberia from Santiago to Madrid and then back to the UK.

Also you could look at Iberia flights to Santiago from Madrid, but they may be different terminals, so check very carefully whether you can make the connections with the additional check-in and security before you book.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've found Heathrow to A Coruna on Vueling a quick and convenient way to get from the UK to Santiago. The flight Is only an hour.And pretty cheap too. I've just paid €32 for a flight next April. A Coruna is a nice little airport, and the shuttle bus stop is a short walk from the train and bus stations.

However airport parking at Heathrow can cost more than the flight. If you have an early flight, rooms at one of the Travelodge are often less than ÂŁ30.

An alternative is to fly to Madrid, then take the 5 hour train to Sarria. It's easy but time consuming. Returning you can fly Iberia from Santiago to Madrid and then back to the UK.

Also you could look at Iberia flights to Santiago from Madrid, but they may be different terminals, so check very carefully whether you can make the connections with the additional check-in and security before you book.
Thanks Julia. Heathrow to A Caruna may be the best bet. They don't seem to get in until later in the day but are cheap enough and only a couple of hours to Sarria.

Hi All,

I am looking to do the last 100km of the Camino from Sarria to Santiago at the beginning of November 2017. I'm doing it in memory of my mother who always wanted to do it but never got round to it before she sadly passed away.

I am wondering what is the best way to get to Sarria from the north of England? At this time of year the only direct flights to Santiago seen to be from Stansted or Gatwick which are at least 5 hrs from me and the flight times aren't great. Also Stansted is with Ryan Air and don't really trust them!

Can anyone advise who has been off season from the north? Would the Manchester to Madrid flight be best and then train to Sarria? (Again this is Ryanair).

I can travel to airports n the UK but would prefer a northern one. I see there are flights from Heathrow to A Coruna. Is that an option?

Thanks in advance.

The closest thing to a direct flight from the north is Edinburgh to Vigo by Ryanair, but that is seasonal and ends in October. The best remaining options have been mentioned already.
Remember that you don't have to fly there and back with the same airline. By mixing it up a bit you might find more convenient times, although you might return to a different airport, which is no good if you have to pick up the car!
Good luck and enjoy!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Remember that you don't have to fly there and back with the same airline. By mixing it up a bit you might find more convenient times, although you might return to a different airport, which is no good if you have to pick up the car!

Tell me about it! I spend hours searching for the most convenient flights to and from Spain, and then have to work out the advantages of driving to the airport and parking, or whether to take public transport.

And if, like you say, different airports, how easy it is to get to/from using public transport on the same day as the flight...

Next April I will be flying to Porto from Bristol in the evening so easily done by bus/train/bus. But then I will fly home from A Coruna to Heathrow, landing at 19.15. That should just about give me time to get the RailAir bus to Reading and the last train back to the Cotswolds followed by a taxi home. If not, or if there's any delay, I'll have to have a plan B cheap hotel in mind just in case.

Of course I could fly direct to Santiago from Stansted or Gatwick, but I don't want to drive to either (and the LGW flight leaves at an inconvenient 6.10am). Otherwise it's BA/Iberia from Heathrow with a change at Madrid, which still takes up most of the day.

Yes, it's very difficult to advise on these things, as it often comes down to individual circumstances, personal preferences etc. Having a Plan B hotel is always good advice, though!

Hi All,

Thanks in advance.
I am sorry for your loss. Did your mother want the Compostela, because if not you could walk from A Coruña, or maybe walk a little bit in the Uk and then from A Coruña to make it up to 100km that way.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for your advice everyone. In the end I have decided to go from Liverpool to Madrid and get the overnight Trenhotel fro Madrid to Sarrie. This gets into Sarrie first thing in the morning.

Could anyone also thel me, in November will I be able to book accommodation when I get to villages along the way? I don't think it will be too bus and hope to be able to book a nights sleep on route? Will that be ok?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, so sorry for your loss. You can have her name on or added to your compostela if you tell the pilgrim office you have walked it Vicarie Pro - in her stead. I did it a few years ago and they added my very ill friend's name to it.

Regarding flights I have flown a few times from Liverpool/Manchester to Dublin with Ryanair and then Dublin to Santiago with AerLingus, it works well for me and isn't too expensive if you book the AerLingus tickets early. From Santiago airport you can get a bus to Lugo and change there to a local bus to Sarria. Buen camino!

Hi, so sorry for your loss. You can have her name on or added to your compostela if you tell the pilgrim office you have walked it Vicarie Pro - in her stead. I did it a few years ago and they added my very ill friend's name to it.

Regarding flights I have flown a few times from Liverpool/Manchester to Dublin with Ryanair and then Dublin to Santiago with AerLingus, it works well for me and isn't too expensive if you book the AerLingus tickets early. From Santiago airport you can get a bus to Lugo and change there to a local bus to Sarria. Buen camino!
Thanks for the tip on the Vicarie Pro. I didn't know that.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back