• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep"

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
La Liga! El Classico!! Barca vs Real!!! No, not Camino, football, b-u-t starting tonight from around 2030 this evening the noise level in any good sized town city village will rise, the game starts 2045, and any goal scored will result in deafening cheers or in a rolling thunder voice of despair. Time to pull out those ear plugs before going to bed!
PS if you are not lodging in an albergue this is a wonderful evening to experience Spanish...ah...that is...culture first hand.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I hate football with a passion that borders on the pathological, but will always make an exception for a clásico. I've had some of my best camino evenings with this match as the background. I can't say I'm watching the football, but just enjoying the atmosphere of the huge crowds of enthusiastic supporters (not all male) in the bar.

On my first ever evening in Santiago, in 2010, there was a clásico, and it was the first time José Mourinho was in charge of Real Madrid - restaurants along the way had been advertising special blue and white menus for days: it was a big event. The crowd absolutely loved every single one of Messi and the other's 5 goals, and the TV close-ups of the face of the self-styled "special" coach of Franco's favourite team as each of them went in.

Blaugrana al vent
un crit valent
tenim un nom el sap tothom:
Barça, Barça, Baaarça!

I hate football with a passion that borders on the pathological, but will always make an exception for a clásico. I've had some of my best camino evenings with this match as the background. I can't say I'm watching the football, but just enjoying the atmosphere of the huge crowds of enthusiastic supporters (not all male) in the bar.

On my first ever evening in Santiago, in 2010, there was a clásico, and it was the first time José Mourinho was in charge of Real Madrid - restaurants along the way had been advertising special blue and white menus for days: it was a big event. The crowd absolutely loved every single one of Messi and the other's 5 goals, and the TV close-ups of the face of the self-styled "special" coach of Franco's favourite team as each of them went in.

Blaugrana al vent
un crit valent
Barça, Barça, Baaarça!
SHHH! Large parts of Galicia are more Real-ists, no Blue and Purple in the wind for sure. Two of my most disenheartenly days walking on the Camino came after Real had lost! Long faces everywhere. When Real does win, there is singing, and shouts, and celebrations until dawn!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Blaugrana al vent
un crit valent
Barça, Barça, Baaarça!
I don't hate football (soccer) at all. In fact I love watching it, have seen three Uefa Championship finals, one Mundial and one European Championship on my Caminos while in Spain. But, Alan, to remember that Jose Mourinho was the coach of RM back in 2010 - well, that really is something for a football hater :D

Me too prefer Barca over RM, but lately became a fan of Atletico Madrid because the goalkeeper Jan Oblak (surname Oblak means the "cloud" in English and "la nube" in Spanish) is Slovenian and I even know him in person ;)

Going to a bar (especially in the working class suburbs) while the "clásico" is playing on tv is a funny experience. Spaniards are really passionate about football (and, actually, the League is great to see, with many of the best players of the world).
But probably us, as pilgrims, should be fans of the poor Compostela, who had its chances in the first division between 1994-1998. It was regularly thrashed by the big guys :( and currently plays in Third Division, against regional teams.
May the good Apostle bless its chances to be promoted.
115px-SD_Compostela_logo.svg.png

La Liga! El Classico!! Barca vs Real!!! No, not Camino, football, b-u-t starting tonight from around 2030 this evening the noise level in any good sized town city village will rise, the game starts 2045, and any goal scored will result in deafening cheers or in a rolling thunder voice of despair. Time to pull out those ear plugs before going to bed!
PS if you are not lodging in an albergue this is a wonderful evening to experience Spanish...ah...that is...culture first hand.

I was in a little bar last night in Barcelona. .. I couldn't understand why it was getting busier and busier... then the football started and I understood. .. it was a grand evening :cool:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I've just read this article from La Voz de Galicia. A Camino guide and frequent pilgrim with over 30 years of Camino experience calling for some greater regulation of numbers - at least on the...
Hello. I am considering walking the Camino for the first time this fall, probably beginning the third week of September in St. Jean. But I keep reading about how crowded the Camino is, including...
Hello, two weeks ago, I finished the Camino Francés, and while all the recent memories have not properly settled yet, I think enough time has passed to write a bit about my experience of the...
Is there a list of albergues that also have private rooms on the Camino Frances? Gracias.
Can anyone give me (newbie!) some guidance on planning my stages after Roncesvalles? I currently have lodging booked Zubiri, Pamplona and then Puente la Reine, and on from there. I would prefer...
Big stupid question: what if, in the middle of a stage, I realize I can't really walk anymore? For whatever reason, fatigue, pain, etc. How others have treated this? Are there buses usually...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back