• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

offtopic.. looking for hiking and accomodation info in new zealand

normandog

patti
Time of past OR future Camino
July 2014
Hello all Australian and New Zealand camino affectionados!!
I am writing as a fellow pilgrim (frances 2014) to enquire if there are any kind hearted souls out there who could help with advice for my adventurous 19 year old son who is coming to Mairangi Bay in late January to train with the surf lifesaving club for two months, and then to spend another month hiking the south island. He is having a challenging time finding accomodation in the bay area, or nearby, and could sure use a hand finding a modest room to rent for the two months. He has tried airbnb and youth hostels. He would like to cast a wider net and we wonder does anyone know of someone who might have a room available for short term rental in the bay area or a reasonable commute? He would also love to hear about your favourite top hiking spots... he plans to do 3-6 day hikes for the last month.
Thanks in advance for your tolerance of an offtopic post, but a post sent to a community with a way of going through life that embraces those travelling many different ways!
I have submitted this initial post, and will forward any much appreciated responses to Owen since he is the traveller with the questions.
buen Camino!
Patti

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Lonely Planet Tramping in New Zealand, describes the popular hikes ed 1998 ISBN 086442-598-8 .

Another good resource is Moir's Guide North which describes routes in the Southern Alps ed 1998 ISBN 0-473-05265-3. This is good for experienced mountain hikers only. Do not underestimate how rough the terrain is here.

I really liked the hut system. It was possible to get an annual hut pass for $NZ 60.00 (in 2003) from Dept of Conservation. Otherwise huts cost from $5.00 to $25.00 so the hut pass paid for itself in a week.

And as Lise T says ... Don't underestimate the weather. I was mid way on the 5 passes route and got over a foot of snow at 1200 meters in February ... mid summer. The next three days were involved in getting back to civilization in one piece. And that was just one of several major weather events I had on two separate month long trips to NZ.

Glenorchy is a good base for several hikes and is located near the movie location for Lord of the Rings.

Whariwharangi is a place name on the Abel Tasman track.

You can get topographic maps at many places: New Zealanders like hiking.

White gas (coleman fuel) is sold as shellite in gas stations.

I've posted a request on facebook - will see if that brings you any luck Patti.
Time for your son to learn some lingo...
hiking = tramping
forest = bush
kai = food

And listen to LiseT about tramping locations too - Tonagariro Crossing or Northern Circuit or even Round the Mountain Tracks are not to be missed on his way south.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
He is having a challenging time finding accomodation in the bay area, or nearby, and could sure use a hand finding a modest room to rent for the two months. He has tried airbnb and youth hostels. He would like to cast a wider net and we wonder does anyone know of someone who might have a room available for short term rental in the bay area or a reasonable commute?

Hi Patti
I live not far from Mairangi Bay, and although I don't know the Surf Lifesaving Club personally I think the absolute no. 1 best option would be for Owen to billet or board with a family connected to the club, especially since he is only planning on being there for 2 months. Mairangi Bay is a quiet suburb in the north east of Auckland, part of an area known as the East Coast Bays. It is made up of mainly residential streets (lots of hills!), a tiny shopping area and a tiny, quite sheltered beach. No youth hostel nearby, and rents in Auckland are sky-high at present. Transport around Auckland and to training sessions would also be a challenge, even more so than finding accommodation unless he is planning on acquiring a car for the duration (we drive on the wrong side...). I have no first-hand knowledge of the Surf Lifesaving Club but I know it is well respected and wins lots of competitions (I've seen them on tv competing in a surf-boat competition at wild Piha beach - terrifying! Sorry Mom....!) They patrol other neighbouring beaches as well. For their training, some of it would take place at MB, but as there is no surf there I imagine they would need to travel to "real" surf beaches some of the time, either on the west coast of Auckland (up to 40-50km away) or further afield. I know they also make use of a local pool complex for swim training which is a few km uphill from Mairangi Bay. So commuting from accommodation to training would not be a simple matter. Public transport around the area and to the more distant beaches is sketchy or non-existent (buses into central Auckland are better), so access to a car would be essential - another reason it would make life much easier for him if he was boarding with club members with whom he could get rides to training. Unless he has already tried this without success, I would advise contacting the club and asking whether any of their members might be able to help out.

I hope this helps. And I hope Owen has a wonderful time with the club and then with his travels around NZ. Auckland is a beautiful city (not biased of course) very much oriented to the sea which is all around us. He'll be here at a lovely time of year - but definitely heed the advice above about sun-protection. You really can burn scarily fast here, especially around water.

All the best!

My favourite hiking (tramping) place in the South Island is the St James Walkway.
I have some photos here http://mariannecamino.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/st-james-walkway-other-way-of-st-james.html
I don't like crowds, so this is perfect for me. The more well known routes are very well patronised, especially in the summer/autumn months.
I also endorse the advice to go to the DOC (Dept of Conservation) website - here is a link to get him started
http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-re...canterbury/north-canterbury-and-arthurs-pass/

The Abel Tasman walkway in the Nelson Bays area is very good. It should be fine to get accommodation after the January holidays. It is warmer than the average in NZ and would be comfortable with a tent.

Hi, its Owen. thanks Lise T we've done most of our planning for the hikes from the DOC website, its a great tool. I'll make sure to pack for all weather, Whariwharangi. thanks getting there, I have managed to find accommodation right near the beach and have contacted the club about training locations. MarianneGardner, thanks for the advice we are actually planing to do the abel tasman trek in early april. thanks again everyone for the advice, it's been a great help.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, its Owen. thanks Lise T we've done most of our planning for the hikes from the DOC website, its a great tool. I'll make sure to pack for all weather, Whariwharangi. thanks getting there, I have managed to find accommodation right near the beach and have contacted the club about training locations. MarianneGardner, thanks for the advice we are actually planing to do the abel tasman trek in early april. thanks again everyone for the advice, it's been a great help.
Thanks to all the wonderful forum members who time and time again reach out to the seekers in life to help make good things happen. Owen is very excited, I am very excited and very scared! I am in my mid fifties and just did my first overseas trip to the camino this last summer! He has found lodging with a family close to the beach. He is looking at the trails as mentioned in all of your helpful advice. Thanks for the "non-mom" reminder about sunscreen and warm clothes. I have a strong imprint in my brain about "the camino will provide"... and I hope the same proves true for Owen... that New Zealand will provide... adventure, safety, warmth of a community, good tramping, new foods and memories to last a lifetime! Buen Camino

Great news that Owen has found accommodation! He sounds well-organised and sensible, and should have an amazing time with the club, and then some fantastic experiences on the South Island tracks. Totally understand you being scared about it though!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back