• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Unique Journey of New Zealand Pilgrims to Santiago

andonius

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Ingles, Portugues, Norte, Primitivo, Aragones, Baztan, Sanabres, Finisterre
I have to admit that amongst all the pilgrims I’ve met, I have a special sympathy for New Zealanders.

Excuse me all the rest, you’re my pilgrim brothers and sisters too, but I’m going to explain why.

I’m Spanish, and I live in Madrid. For me is easy to arrive to the Camino. In fact the Camino the Madrid is just two kilometers far from my home, and Santiago is just a three hours train trip.

But New Zealand is just in the other side of the world!!. New Zealand is the antipodes of Spain and Portugal.

So people coming from there literally travel all over the earth, a full 40.000 kms, to arrive to Santiago and return to their homes.

That’s a pilgrimage, and not what I do!!.

In fact the antipodes of Madrid is a place called Pahiatua, in the North Island of New Zealand.

Out of curiosity I’ve also researched which are the Antipodes of Santiago de Compostela. They are near a city called Arthur’s Pass; which happens to have what seems to be a magnificent National park which I'd like to visit one day.

So if you live there or near there, please let us know, and when you train in that park to do the Camino, remember that Santiago is just under your feet, and that if you could make a hole directly through the center of the earth, you will arrive to Plaza del Obradoiro in time for 12:00 Pilgrim’s mass!!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I will try not to blink, then...
Thank you Rachael and greetings from the oher side of the world (at that moment the bright side and in a few hours the dark one)

24 years ago, I turned my life upside down.
It's a wonderful metaphor that an important part of my new and very different life involves walking directly under the last place that was stably home.

And you're right, @andonius . It's one hell of a trek, just to start walking. Gracias for this lovely tribute!

Last edited:
Out of curiosity I’ve also researched which are the Antipodes of Santiago de Compostela. They are near a city called Arthur’s Pass; which happens to have what seems to be a magnificent National park which I'd like to visit one day.
I've done the same previously but found that the antipode to the Santiago cathedral is in the wilderness. But I've discovered an exact antipode match between a Department of Conservation hut in Arthur's Pass National Park and an easily identifiable turn on the Camino Francés adjacent to the Santiago airport. So I recommend that Kiwis visit both places. I've pinpointed these places at this post:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have to admit that amongst all the pilgrims I’ve met, I have a special sympathy for New Zealanders.

Excuse me all the rest, you’re my pilgrim brothers and sisters too, but I’m going to explain why.

I’m Spanish, and I live in Madrid. For me is easy to arrive to the Camino. In fact the Camino the Madrid is just two kilometers far from my home, and Santiago is just a three hours train trip.

But New Zealand is just in the other side of the world!!. New Zealand is the antipodes of Spain and Portugal.

So people coming from there literally travel all over the earth, a full 40.000 kms, to arrive to Santiago and return to their homes.

In fact the antipodes of Madrid is a place called Pahiatua, in the North Island of New Zealand.

So if you live there or near there, please let us know, and when you train in that park to do the Camino, remember that Santiago is just under your feet, and that if you could make a hole directly through the center of the earth, you will arrive to Plaza del Obradoiro in time for 12:00 Pilgrim’s mass!!

Thank you very much, Andonius! You're a delight!

Yes, an excellent perspective and at the same time, there are pilgrims who, because of personal/psychological/emotional/physical struggles as well as issues with faith, have only traveled one kilometer distance-wise to start their Camino, but have hiked the equivalent of Mt. Everest to get to where they are . . . taking their first Camino step. Oftentimes in life, the internal struggles, for outweigh the distance struggles.

Gidday Andonius. I never knew that. I live in Christchurch and not irregularly visit Arthur's pass for lunch and to visit the keas - taking my elderly folks for a drive. Pahiatua I am also familiar with but ... no disrespect - it is not quite the same experience ! It's a stunning drive to the pass especially on a brilliant winters day at this time of year with the snow down to the road and, like SdC, a place I am drawn to.

Kiwis I think by their very nature are born to travel and 36 hours is not quite the rugged, one way, 6 months in a leaky boat trip of our not to distant forebears so you make it worth your while - as do our cousins across the ditch. We just can't quite walk out the door from home for the start of our pilgrimage.

Thank you for the message and for the very welcome news that two of my favourite places on earth are connected ! Muchas Gracias !!

Hola Andonious and gracias. I am coming next April from NZ to start my Camino from Leon to SJDC and just getting myself there to start feels like a challenge. I have been to Arthur’s Pass and loved hearing that it is the antipodes. We have some fabulous hikes in NZ known as the Great Walks and one known as Te Araroa involves walking the whole length of the country and is 3000km.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Some antipodes:
Madrid, Spain - Palmerston North, Aotearoa New Zealand
A Coruña, Spain - Christchurch, ANZ
Auckland, ANZ - Malaga, Spain.
Wellington, ANZ - Valladolid, Spain
@DoughnutANZ, I would like to add more accuracy to the Auckland antipode. I stayed in or near Auckland for several weeks decades ago (I'm not sure if it was a named neighborhood or a suburb). I used a gazetteer to get a spot that I had been at and worked out the antipode. The nearest sizeable town to it was Ronda, about 60 km west of Málaga. Ronda is a gorgeous town located at a gorgeous spot; Romans used to go there to vacation. The antipode I visited was a harvested sunflower field located about 15 km NW of Ronda. Peg was with me. On a visit to Auckland some years ago I brought her to the spot I was at so long ago to make her an antipodean also.

Thank you for your wonderful post. I live 48km from Pahiatua in Levin. I am starting my Camino on the 26th of next month.
I am sure it will be an adventure of a lifetime. I have no expectations, just to go with the flow!

Go well, Adonious.🇳🇿♥️

@DoughnutANZ, I would like to add more accuracy to the Auckland antipode. I stayed in or near Auckland for several weeks decades ago (I'm not sure if it was a named neighborhood or a suburb). I used a gazetteer to get a spot that I had been at and worked out the antipode. The nearest sizeable town to it was Ronda, about 60 km west of Málaga. Ronda is a gorgeous town located at a gorgeous spot; Romans used to go there to vacation. The antipode I visited was a harvested sunflower field located about 15 km NW of Ronda. Peg was with me. On a visit to Auckland some years ago I brought her to the spot I was at so long ago to make her an antipodean also.
So basically the antipode of Auckland is somewhere beautiful that people actually want to go to ??
That really is the Antipode of Auckland !!🤣

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Pahiatua I am also familiar with but ... no disrespect - it is not quite the same experience
🤣
Right. (A mild understatement...yeah. not quite. That said, Mt. Bruce is nearby, and there are at least lots of very cool birds there.

The antipode of the Mt. Bruce National Wildlife Centre is 11kms from Avilla, a place labeled Monte Grande on my Osmand map. Funny coincidence.

A Coruña, Spain - Christchurch, ANZ
A heads up for anyone from Enzed with a day after your camino to visit A Coruña - you are in for a very big and very old and very delightful surprise:

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A little knowledge is indeed a dangerous thing.
My main effort in school was to gain maximum results with least effort.
Now, coming home to roost.
I just used Antipodes as the descriptor for over there, under there, and the places I almost went to.. before swerving west from my home in Scotland on a single ticket to Dublin, Ireland.
Via the forum, and some members, I know much more now, although still not enough.
The initial focus of the thread is the admiration and sympathy, for members who come from way over there, way under there, to the now crumbling centre of the universe 😈.
(Yes, it is. I will duck the tomatoes being lobbed. Not that I really expect them. I know from experience my approach is my own.)
I still take off my hat, which is now a rather luxury item, because I lost my first camino hat on my second camino, to those who invest a vast sum of money to follow an impulse to something so close to me, and yet they do it.
You do, dear people from New Zealand and Australia.
Including some of my own past generations. Same surname, same family...

I dragged my sister and her partner along and convinced them there and back would be fine 😁 Would have loved to have walked the actual gorge road - it was one of my favourite nz drives.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
At least those from Aotearoa/New Zealand have some dry land to end up on when they go to the opposite side of the world. There might be bits of Australia with antipodes in that island nation, Atlantis, but most of the continent seems to end up in the North Atlantic Ocean.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
At least those from Aotearoa/New Zealand have some dry land to end up on when they go to the opposite side of the world. There might be bits of Australia with antipodes in that island nation, Atlantis, but most of the continent seems to end up in the North Atlantic Ocean.
The Azores are tantalizingly close. Yeah, you guys'd be swimming. But Aussies are all good at that, right? 😶🙃

Yes, Auckland is very spread out and covers 1,086 klm² (according to Ms Google).

Well Bill I can now say that I have met (virtually, at least) someone who actually wants to live in Dunedin. 😉
Not sure how you got that Doughnut Doughnut but I've always been fascinated with one of those oddities of history that the Scot's sailed halfway round the world past a whole range of far more amenable climes to find a spot in the world with an identical miserable climate !

Living so far from the Camino in New Zealand, where the camino is not super well known and even less well understood, I am eternally grateful for this forum and the opportunity to connect with people who understand why I might want to travel to the other side of the world, more than once, to walk through the Spanish countryside, when I have a perfectly lovely country with plenty of places to walk right here (that’s not uncommon feedback from people when I mention walking in Spain). There is something so unique about the camino, so intangible and hard to explain to the uninitiated: I feel enormously privileged to have had the opportunity to walk caminos and to be part of this big camino family here on the forum.

Wishing you all a Buen Camino, from Christchurch, NZ.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hola Andonious and gracias. I am coming next April from NZ to start my Camino from Leon to SJDC and just getting myself there to start feels like a challenge. I have been to Arthur’s Pass and loved hearing that it is the antipodes. We have some fabulous hikes in NZ known as the Great Walks and one known as Te Araroa involves walking the whole length of the country and is 3000km
Hi Dianne

Enjoy the process of planning your trip, and have a fabulous Camino next April. I think Spring is a lovely time to walk as opposed to summer.

Buen Camino,
Suzanne

That's so cool. My sister Kim and I are doing the Camino right now. 1 more day until Leon. Have met 3 other New Zealanders so far. But yes it is a long waycto cone but worth the effort.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That's so cool. My sister Kim and I are doing the Camino right now. 1 more day until Leon. Have met 3 other New Zealanders so far. But yes it is a long waycto cone but worth the effort.
Wonderful that you met more NZers on the trail, Cheryl, you're nearly there😎. Buen Camino.
Suzanne

Living in Dunedin, NZ. antipode is Cariño, Galicia, Spain.
Hey, Cariño is also a spot in the Camino; exactly in the Camino del Mar wich runs through the North galician coast and joins the Camino Ingles to Santiago. So Dunedin is also closely connected to ths Camino.

I agree. Coming from Calgary, I felt that I also was coming from afar to do the Camino, but for New Zealanders it is a testament of a true pilgrim that drives them to retrace the steps of St. James and they gained my admiration for those I encountered this past Sept/Oct

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you for your lovely message! I'm coming to the camino in April 2024 not only from New Zealand, but from its southern most city. I do feel very fortunate to be in this part of the world. Just today I helped out with the Kepler Challenge, a famous ultra marathon in Fiordland, one of our National Parks. Any active visitors to New Zealand should check out our Great Walks, which are well sought after.

if you could make a hole directly through the center of the earth, you will arrive to Plaza del Obradoiro in time for 12:00 Pilgrim’s mass!!

That should be an interesting journey! :)

It would be interesting having to go through the molten core (fires of hell!?)

As I live less than 2 km from the sea my preference is to:
  • bundle everything into a waterproof tub
  • attach to the waterproof tub with a harness
  • get a mate to help me down to the water edge and push off
  • swim between the great Southern Ocean and the Indian Ocean
  • swim around Cape Horn and up the Atlantic Ocean
  • swim around the Bay of Biscay and up the Ria de Ferrol to Ferrol
  • sell the waterproof tub and any surplus items
  • set off for Compostela
To my mind, that would be a more interesting journey.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I really ought to be on the move, but Australia and New Zealand have long lived in my imagination as extensions of my Scottish homeland - a teeny, totie town marking the end of the Roman Road... the Romans were afraid of us! 😈
So instead of washing the floor, or ironing, something more appealing: checking the antipodean location of my hometown.
New Zealand pilgrims, chapeaux!
Unfortunately, the location is deep in the ocean.
😉

New Zealand pilgrims, chapeaux!
Unfortunately, the location is deep in the ocean.

I would end up in Waitangi north of Auckland, seems to be a nice place. It is around 19,000 kms away so I will wait until Christmas Eve and then hitch a ride with Santa's sleigh - I will be there in a flash! 🎅

I would end up in Waitangi north of Auckland, seems to be a nice place. It is around 19,000 kms away so I will wait until Christmas Eve and then hitch a ride with Santa's sleigh - I will be there in a flash! 🎅
Only if you're ready in the morning of Christmas Eve... .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sorry Turga, Santa is like the sun; he travels east to west.

Only if you're ready in the morning of Christmas Eve... .
Say, Peter, in another thread you mentioned something about how you can tell New Zealanders by their accent. A reply there is really off topic for the intent of the thread but I think its okay for this one. I'd know I'm talking to a Kiwi right after hearing "Nice to meet you Rick. Nice to meet you too Pig." :)

Last edited:
Home of our founding document and at one time the capital of Aotearoa New Zealand.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Say, Peter, in another thread you mentioned something about how you can tell New Zealanders by their accent. A reply there is really off topic for the intent of the thread but I think its okay for this one. I'd know I'm talking to a Kiwi right after hearing "Nice to meet you Rick. Nice to meet you too Pig." :)
Or you could be talking to a South African! The vowel sounds can seem similar to many listeners.

(I’m a Kiwi who lives in Australia - but the Camino’s a long flight from Melbourne too…)

Beware the Southland accent! A New Zealand accent, but not the 'average' New Zealand accent. I can have a lot of fun with it overseas, or even with other New Zealanders who are unaware of our regional accent.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I really ought to be on the move, but Australia and New Zealand have long lived in my imagination as extensions of my Scottish homeland

..55.936220......-4.135856 Kirkie
-55.936220...175.864.........your antipodes

You'll just have to do what my father with some siblings and their mother did a few years ago and just make do with Dunedin (the Edinburgh of the south), the city closest to your antipodes.

And please give my regards to Moira when you see her next.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

Or you could be talking to a South African! The vowel sounds can seem similar to many listeners.

After ranging from Edinburgh to Inverness to Skye and Glasgow, my wife and I had fetched up at Malmesbury (just above the M4) to have a rest before the dash to Heathrow and home.

We arrived for a real dinner at the only residential hotel and found the only seats left were in adjoining bistro bar. No problem. As we were finishing a waiter came in, heard us talking, looked around and seeing no one else decided we were his objective.

Speaking with a very strong accent from southern Africa he said the "girls" had told him there were two diners from southern Africa in the bistro. Having heard us speak, he apologised for the mix up and we three had a chat and what he (from Zimbabwe) was doing in the UK.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am eternally grateful for this forum and the opportunity to connect with people who understand why I might want to travel to the other side of the world, more than once, to walk through the Spanish countryside, when I have a perfectly lovely country with plenty of places to walk right here (that’s not uncommon feedback from people when I mention walking in Spain). There is something so unique about the camino, so intangible
I feel the same way, living in Oregon, where the Pacific Crest Trail is practically in my backyard. Yes, there are lots of places to hike, but it's not the same as being on the Camino, and it's so hard to describe to people who have never walked the Camino. This year I accompanied a few Camino newbies from SJPdP to Pamplona to give them a "push start" on the Camino before I walked the Norte. One of them was a long time friend who has heard all about my Caminos (and probably wondered why I keep going). After she returned she said "I get it now." I can't tell you how happy that made me.

I hiked the Gorge track last Saturday. Came back along the old highway. A nice comfortable few hours tramp.
Kia ora and I have understood the road through Apiti was closed apart from access to the the walking path at the top of the Tararua's.

I have walked that path several times in recent years, as part of my camino training etc.

About 10h on a recent 1 January I was leaving from the western end car park when my London family asked if I wanted to watch Big Ben strike midnight for their new year. I said yes and got underway.

Just before 13h my local time I was at the eastern most lookout, about 350 metres above sea level.

We set up a video call and together watched Big Ben and stuff. I was surprised reception in the middle of nowhere was so good. Possibly a side effect of the replacement SH3 project a kilometre or so away across Apiti to the southern Ruahine Range.

After all that I have a question.

Can I safely assume the old now closed SH3 is open to walkers, despite the barriers?

Kia kaha @KiwiJohn

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back