• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino On the Camino Allerano

alansykes

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Except the Francés
One of the two versions of the Allerano variant of the Salvador leaves the Camino Olvidado near Boñar, going up the valley of the Curueño river. A spectacular valley, surrounded by majestic mountains catching the first rays of sun when I arrived there this morning.

IMG_20231105_100710.jpg

The fast flowing river is a lovely pale emerald colour, with occasional flashes of silver. Just off the path is the mare's tail waterfall of Nocedo, crashing out of the side of the mountain on which San Froilán built himself a hermitage, with a bit of help from his pet wolf.

IMG_20231105_091418.jpg

The path follows the narrow valley upstream for about 10km, with the high granite walls, and the riverbank lined by poplar trees still in their autumn glory.

IMG_20231105_114148.jpg

There is supposed to be a footpath by the river, and for a few km there was, before it petered out. I tried bushwalking my way ahead for a few 100m, before being confronted with a smooth wet 45° wall in the Hoces de Valdetejera,

IMG_20231105_113023.jpg

at which point commonsense fortunately put in an appearance and I backtracked to the nearest bridge and carried on by the road. Not much traffic at all, although I met a huge but friendly mastin out guarding his flock of goats.

IMG_20231105_120329.jpg

After following the river's twisting course steadily upwards to 1200m with fabulous vistas on every side, suddenly the valley opened out and I found myself in a huge upland meadow, with the continous thunder of the river replaced by sheep and cow bells, whose "drowsy tinklings lull the distant folds".

IMG_20231105_141303.jpg

Most places are closed for winter, but one number provided by Ender worked. It's a full chalet near Lugueros, and the landlord offered it to me for 50€ - his website quotes 140€, I think, so I wouldn't have bothered but for Ender. It was a weather-dependent provisional booking, but I couldn't ring to confirm as there was no signal in the valley. So it was a relief when a car stopped and the driver said "soy Eusebio" was it you that rang? - I'll go and put the heating on. So kind, and he's even made me a sandwich for tomorrow, as well as giving me some washing powder for the machine. And he's opened up specially for me as I'm the only person here. He seemed thrilled that mine was the first credencial he's ever stamped. Camino angels, camino miracles.

According to Ender, who is not given to hype, "mañana es la étapa más bonita de todo el camino y me atrevo a ponerla entre las mejores de todos los caminos." And the weather forecast is excellent. Yum yum.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sure does sound wonderful - and looks beautiful too! I’m sure pictures don’t do it justice. Can’t wait to see the shots from today!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I left my cosy cabin shortly before 8, with Venus and the dying moon losing their battle with the gathering dawn. 11km, mostly on tarmac, was to take me to the Puerto de Vegarada, at 1560m the high point of the day. Of this camino (so far). One of the highest passes of the Cordillera Cantábrica, apparently - about 200m higher than Pajares on the (main) Salvador. Over a medieval

IMG_20231106_081330.jpg

and a Roman bridge

IMG_20231106_085748.jpg

Before long the sun was starting to "flatter with sovereign eye the mountains high"

IMG_20231106_085049.jpg

and, quite a long time later "kissing with golden face the meadows green".

IMG_20231106_102142.jpg

It was my first frost of this camino, and a dusting of snow could be seen in the distance on the high ground.

IMG_20231106_112622.jpg

Nearing the pass, the Curueño, my dangerous enemy of yesterday, was now a charming babbling brook nearing its source, and was being gilded "with heavenly alchemy".

IMG_20231106_101309.jpg

At the watershed was a pretty little circular thatched hut, a security blanket in case exhaustion or bad weather set in. It was still a glorious morning, and only just after 10am, so neither was the case for me, and I forged on.

IMG_20231106_095722.jpg

Over the pass and into Asturias for the first time in nearly 10 years. Quickly joined by the nascent Aller, which gives its name to this camino and this area. The water in the Curueño has a long way to go before reaching the Duero and eventually the Atlantic. The Aller water will be in the Bay of Biscay in about 80km.

Almost every turn of the way had opened up increasingly spectacular vistas, both going up and, until hitting the tree line at about 1300m, descending. Possibly the most spectacular day of any camino I've walked, certainly up there in the top 5. Just amazing.

IMG_20231106_102858.jpg

Coming down was hard work, no question - 900m of descent in about 6km. It was well marked with white and yellow flashes for the Asturian PR31, and mostly fairly safe - but it would be horrible if wet.

IMG_20231106_122022.jpg

The final treat was the Foces del Pino, a nearly km long narrow defile through high cliffs with a busy stream crashing alongside - a bit like the Calderones, but with a 1 in 5 descent.

IMG_20231106_124730.jpg

By shortly after 2pm I was eating a fabada and drinking my first Asturian cidra in Felechosa. Only just over six hours walking, but such spectacular hours. What a contrast with just walking towards the vanishing point for hours on end only last week. Wow.

After yesterday's fireworks, a nice quiet day was definitely in order, and that's what I got.

A shout out for the Casa el Rapido in Felechosa. Very welcoming, very warm, very comfortable, very quiet, outstanding shower. Excellent lunch, and I was embarrassed they gave me a pilgrim discount of 33% on the menú del día. 45€ for the room when I turned up (70€ on booking.com). The elderly lady who gave me breakfast was a camino fanatic, and thrilled that pilgrims were going to pass here. I'm the 4th, she said, one from Puebla de Lillo and now 3 from the Vegarada route. She had done Sarria once and the Primitivo once, and was excited by how many more people I would meet after Oviedo tomorrow.

Then downstream all day, first on the río Braña, which fairly quickly joined my old friend the río Aller - a lot busier than when I drank from its source yesterday, but still docile. Walkers, farmers, bicyclists, somebody collecting chestnuts - quite a contrast with yesterday's total solitude.

IMG-20231107-WA0001.jpeg

At some point I must have missed the way, and ended up following a tarmac road for what seemed like endless km, but a very quiet road. And pauses for coffee every 5km or so.

IMG_20231107_091317.jpg

Taking into account the dueño of the Rapido's comments about the number of people likely to be on the Primitivo, I think I've decided to change my mind and head south to take the Olvidado to Ponferrada, and then do the Invierno again, before it too gets clogged up. I should probably have done the Primitivo 10 years ago. sks.

It sounds like you had a much easier go of this route than the other peregrino just a few weeks ago? That gives me hope that it's an option if I do get to Spain again next May - thank you for your posts, pictures, and inspiration!

I see you say you "think" you've changed your mind. I walked the Primitivo in May 2022 and didn't find there to be too many people at all. I never had an issue with a bed, and I absolutely loved the journey. So, maybe give it a try for a few days and see how it goes/if it's to your liking? Whatever you do choose to do, buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
One of the two versions of the Allerano variant of the Salvador leaves the Camino Olvidado near Boñar, going up the valley of the Curueño river. A spectacular valley, surrounded by majestic mountains catching the first rays of sun when I arrived there this morning.

View attachment 159769

The fast flowing river is a lovely pale emerald colour, with occasional flashes of silver. Just off the path is the mare's tail waterfall of Nocedo, crashing out of the side of the mountain on which San Froilán built himself a hermitage, with a bit of help from his pet wolf.

View attachment 159765

The path follows the narrow valley upstream for about 10km, with the high granite walls, and the riverbank lined by poplar trees still in their autumn glory.

View attachment 159770

There is supposed to be a footpath by the river, and for a few km there was, before it petered out. I tried bushwalking my way ahead for a few 100m, before being confronted with a smooth wet 45° wall in the Hoces de Valdetejera,

View attachment 159771

at which point commonsense fortunately put in an appearance and I backtracked to the nearest bridge and carried on by the road. Not much traffic at all, although I met a huge but friendly mastin out guarding his flock of goats.

View attachment 159767

After following the river's twisting course steadily upwards to 1200m with fabulous vistas on every side, suddenly the valley opened out and I found myself in a huge upland meadow, with the continous thunder of the river replaced by sheep and cow bells, whose "drowsy tinklings lull the distant folds".

View attachment 159768

Most places are closed for winter, but one number provided by Ender worked. It's a full chalet near Lugueros, and the landlord offered it to me for 50€ - his website quotes 140€, I think, so I wouldn't have bothered but for Ender. It was a weather-dependent provisional booking, but I couldn't ring to confirm as there was no signal in the valley. So it was a relief when a car stopped and the driver said "soy Eusebio" was it you that rang? - I'll go and put the heating on. So kind, and he's even made me a sandwich for tomorrow, as well as giving me some washing powder for the machine. And he's opened up specially for me as I'm the only person here. He seemed thrilled that mine was the first credencial he's ever stamped. Camino angels, camino miracles.

According to Ender, who is not given to hype, "mañana es la étapa más bonita de todo el camino y me atrevo a ponerla entre las mejores de todos los caminos." And the weather forecast is excellent. Yum yum.
Ender is the best. I met him when doing the San Salvador

After yesterday's fireworks, a nice quiet day was definitely in order, and that's what I got.

A shout out for the Casa el Rapido in Felechosa. Very welcoming, very warm, very comfortable, very quiet, outstanding shower. Excellent lunch, and I was embarrassed they gave me a pilgrim discount of 33% on the menú del día. 45€ for the room when I turned up (70€ on booking.com). The elderly lady who gave me breakfast was a camino fanatic, and thrilled that pilgrims were going to pass here. I'm the 4th, she said, one from Puebla de Lillo and now 3 from the Vegarada route. She had done Sarria once and the Primitivo once, and was excited by how many more people I would meet after Oviedo tomorrow.

Then downstream all day, first on the río Braña, which fairly quickly joined my old friend the río Aller - a lot busier than when I drank from its source yesterday, but still docile. Walkers, farmers, bicyclists, somebody collecting chestnuts - quite a contrast with yesterday's total solitude.

View attachment 159865

At some point I must have missed the way, and ended up following a tarmac road for what seemed like endless km, but a very quiet road. And pauses for coffee every 5km or so.

View attachment 159866

Taking into account the dueño of the Rapido's comments about the number of people likely to be on the Primitivo, I think I've decided to change my mind and head south to take the Olvidado to Ponferrada, and then do the Invierno again, before it too gets clogged up. I should probably have done the Primitivo 10 years ago. sks.
And? Sorry, I am only an armchair or kitchen table viewer, but look forward to your posts, intrepid and erudite pilgrim!

And? Sorry, I am only an armchair or kitchen table viewer, but look forward to your posts, intrepid and erudite pilgrim!
Sorry, my Allerano variant effectively ended when I joined the "proper" Salvador at Mieres del Camino.

I then walked south and am now in Vegarienza, on the Olvidado. One of my favourite caminos, and one which many people, including me, have written about extensively.

Here are some pics of the gorgeous day going up to and down from the Puerto de Pajares on the Salvador. PS I also keep a picture diary on "find penguins" (https://findpenguins.com/2clprp2ackruk/footprint/6550fc8990bd33-06091751)

IMG_20231109_151156.jpgIMG_20231109_151119.jpg
IMG_20231109_150511.jpgIMG-20231109-WA0002.jpegIMG_20231109_150704.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
These pictures are exactly why I’ve fallen in love with the San Salvador and why I’m likely to walk the Allerano next May. Thank you!

I’ll then continue on….to somewhere that’s not yet clear to me (Primitivo? Norte? Olvidado?). But that’s a separate thread on the forum!

Most read last week in this forum

(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...
First time posting Live? Left León at 8am. Arrived at Cabanillas 2. The path is very beautiful. 20km total. Followed the River. At first town we went to the lovely Bar and Tienda. I bought cheese...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back