A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Booking.com

On To Lorca

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances...
Sept. 2017: SJPdP to Burgos
Sept./Oct. 2018: SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela
Just a quick post. . .
I am out the door headed somewhere between Maneru and Estella.

Given the raucous all-night street party AKA ‘Drunken ShoutFest’, which apparently is in celebration of St Stupid the Magnificent, it is likely to be a long, slow day.

The above proves that, no matter the country, the vast majority of folks are not morons or obliviots, they simply have to put with those who are.

No more Hostal Bearan whenever (if ever) I get back to Pamplona.

More later.

Camino(s) past & future
2035 km of the way to Saint James in Galicia done.
Hostal Bearan ... in the old town close to the Plaza del Castillo, "dans la rue la plus vivante de la vieille ville". Was the street party already in celebration of San Fermín Tzikito in Pamplona? It's this weekend and cafés, bars, and restaurants have been given permission to stay open until 4.30 am; special bars until 6.00 am. What's "have a good sleep" in Spanish? Buen camino to @davebugg and todos los caminantes, in any case.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
Hostal Bearan ... in the old town close to the Plaza del Castillo, "dans la rue la plus vivante de la vieille ville". Was the street party already in celebration of San Fermín Tzikito in Pamplona? It's this weekend and cafés, bars, and restaurants have been given permission to stay open until 4.30 am; special bars until 6.00 am. What's "have a good sleep" in Spanish? Buen camino to @davebugg and todos los caminantes, in any case.
San Fermin Txikito :)

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances...
Because Caleb and I stayed there last year at this time, I was prepared for the normal street party fun crowd stuff, which is why I had wanted to stay at Bearan again. It is unique and fun.

Last year at this time things were fine, the crowds were fun to watch and be a part of. This year, after 1am, things turned sorta nasty.

People were screaming and arguing at each other; and it got more ‘aggressive ‘ as the night and alcohol continued. It looked like it was between several large groups of women and men under the age of 30 or so.

It looked intense. To me, from my balcony perch, it seemed that by midnight, a lot of the older crowd and teens and families were gone.

Kathar1na, or anyone else, is there any political unrest or heavy duty team sports championships going on in Spain?

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances...
Go with the flow @davebugg.

Go with the flow.
Oh, believe me I’m doing just that. That post was supposed to be more of an observation thingy than a heavy duty complaint. And maybe also to offload some nervousness caused by the angry tone of the groups becoming worse as the alcohol flowed.

Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
Just a quick post. . .

Given the raucous all-night street party AKA ‘Drunken ShoutFest’, which apparently is in celebration of St Stupid the Magnificent, it is likely to be a long, slow day.

The above proves that, no matter the country, the vast majority of folks are not morons or obliviots, they simply have to put with those who are.

More later.
All will be better.
I am walking out of Pamplona on Wednesday, so will be a few days behind you.

Buen Camino!

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Pamplona to Santiago Mar. 2018
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
Three years ago, we stayed in Pamplona at a small hostel near
Plaza del Castillo on Calle San Nicolas at the same time! Though we knew that Pamplona was a party “town” we were totally unprepared for the noise so late. We did have good aircon so we were fortunate to, at least, be able to keep the windows closed but the activity continued very late into the night. Despite the closed windows and air on we could hear the chatter outside and we’re staring at the walls! We got so very little sleep that night that we decided to chill the next day. We took a cab to Cizur Mayor ...out of the way... to catch up with Zzzzzs and then started from there the next day! Hope you can get a good nights sleep tonight, Dave. It is good to hear from you!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances...
All will be better.
I am walking out of Pamplona on Wednesday, so will be a few days behind you.

Buen Camino!
Too, true Alex. Things are great, though . No complaints here, just some observations of the various flavors of a Camino experience

Camino(s) past & future
2035 km of the way to Saint James in Galicia done.
Because Caleb and I stayed there last year at this time, I was prepared for the normal street party fun crowd stuff, which is why I had wanted to stay at Bearan again. It is unique and fun.

Last year at this time things were fine, the crowds were fun to watch and be a part of. This year, after 1am, things turned sorta nasty.
First of all, thank you for these "observations of the various flavors of a Camino experience"; it made interesting reading for me. Sorry that there was a nasty and aggressive element to what you observed in the street.

I have no idea about any team sports championships going on at the moment; neither about any kind of political unrest that would concern Pamplona and would have made it into our general news about Spain.

Apparently, the "La Manada" case was in the Spanish news again during the last few days but I strongly suspect that it was not the reason for the screaming and arguing.

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances
SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia, May 2016
C. Frances, Sept 2017
Via de La Plata (spring, 2019)
San Fermin is the week of July 7th in Pamplona, que no? Is this a different San Fermin celebration?

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2017)
Just a quick post. . .

More later.
I am about to arrive in Pamplona. So happy that I booked a hotel.
Buen Camino
John
Buenos

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 33 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 107 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 179 24.6%