• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One foot bigger than the other

GratitudeM

Time of past OR future Camino
Hope to step out 9/5/19 and finish 32-36 days later!!
Hi all, first time ‘posting’ , it is 2am on a hot summer night in Australia and I am ‘researching’... like fossiking, looking for the ‘gold’ Huh! I am booked on a flight to Paris in May and 39 days later booked on a flight home from Madrid!!! Nothing else booked. God help me! I have been training, purchasing stuff etc for the Camino walk from SJPDP - I would have booked everything by now usually. But I believe I have to ‘go with the flow’, be a pilgrim, make mistakes, be grateful. My biggest problem at the moment is shoes!! I have a pair of shoes that are a size bigger than my normal size, as recommended, but it has made a bigger problem with my smaller foot. I’m not keen on putting in padded inliners as that can tilt my back alignment (fine for a day but not 35days continuously) Should I just buy another pair in the size down to fit my smaller foot? As in wear two different size shoes?!! 😳🙄🏃🏼‍♀️🙏🏼

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Have you seen your feet swelling significantly during your training? I've read many times people suggesting to buy a size up but for me, I've always worn my normal size and not had any problems. Maybe this has something to do with how people wear their 'everyday' footwear back home? When I buy footwear for any use I make sure there is a little space ahead of my toes and if the sides are snug I buy a wider size so they are comfortable. I follow this same MO with my Camino footwear and seems to work for me. If you haven't had big swelling during your training maybe it will work for you too. Good luck.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Backpacker Magazine shows a few different ways to lace your boots to ease fitting problems.
http://www.backpacker.com/gear/footwear/hiking-boots/common-hiking-boot-lacing-techniques/

Experiment also wearing different thicknesses of socks within each boot. And this is a crazy thought, if you don't want to wear an insole under your foot then maybe you can wear something above it. Take an old slipper and cut off the sole and punch holes in the rest for breathability. Try that in the boot. Testing may show that you may need to cut more away and you may need to slip this between two pairs of thin socks to keep it in place.

I've always had the same problem with odd size feet, I do get a whole size bigger in walking shoes to fit my bigger foot, regarding the smaller foot I wear a thicker sock, now this works for me but it might not for others.
It really is a shame that they won't sell odd shoe sizes, like you I did consider two pairs of different sizes, but that does come in rather expensive as apposed to a thicker pair of socks.
Let us know what you decide to do.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have the same problem of two different sized feet. I have always bought boots to fit the bigger foot, which gave me blisters on the smaller foot, as my foot slid around n the footwear. Lots of walking before I left toughened the smaller foot up, and by the time I got to the actual camino I was fine.

Same here, different size feet. I have walked three caminos with a little bit too small hiking shoes. I have had no problems during the caminos, but afterwards have lost some toe nails. On every camino I have had a new pair Hanwag Banks shoes. These fits to my feet like gloves. I’ve used two liner socks, which I think kept my feet blisternfree. On my last camino I had bigger shoes and had to abort because of walking companions illness. We walked 150 km and shoes were all right. This time I lost no toe nails, maybe I’ll use bigger shoes in my future caminos.

I have never subscribed to the "get a size or half size bigger theory". What worked for me was to get a comfortable boot that is wider in the toe box. My Merrel wide boots were the trick for me. Good luck.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back