• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One month to go before i begin the Camino Frances

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018, (2019)
Hello everyone,

It is now just a month before I leave South Yorkshire for SJPdP via Manchester airport, Bilbao, Irun (overnight stop) and Bayonne. I am very excited about the journey I'm about to embark on, not least the prospect of meeting fellow pelegrino/as as interesting and helpful as those who post on this forum. Thank-you ever so much for sharing your insights and experiences so freely.

My plan is to beginning walking on the 30th April and to average 15 miles a day. If successful, this might allow me the time to continue on to Muxia/Finisterre before flying back to the UK on June 14th.

My preparations are more-or-less on track, although a little disorganised. I have amassed a pile of stuff to take with me, and I know it will be a struggle to take to good advice to prune it down to the bare minimum. I will be taking plenty of medication for my type 2 diabetic condition, so anyone with any good day-to-day dietary advice in this regard please send it my way. I'm doing fairly regular 7-12 mile training walks on the flat and in the beautiful Derbyshire Peak District and, so far, my dodgy right knee is just about bearing up.

My main motivation for the walk is religious and I especially want to be able to dedicate it to my late father, another James, who always tried his best to teach his 6 children the right path to follow through life.

With luck, I'll meet one or more of you during the months of May and June 2013. Buen Camino !!

James 0'M

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
James as someone who is a type 1 diabetic and originally hails from Doncaster I am sorry that we wont meet on the way. I leave on the 21st April and only have the time to get to Logrono so will be gone before you can catch up with me-if I was going to SdC I assure you would have done so.

Please check the medical forum. Much of the advice is for those on insulin but it applies to type 2 as well.

Spanish food is rich in carbohydrate but your exercising will burn a great deal of it away. Your training sounds excellent so barring injury you should be fine.

I am glad to hear you are walking in memory of your father. I am sure the Camino will bring to the surface many good memories of him.

Buen Camino James! Glad to see Yorkshire is being represented this spring/summer! Take care of that knee. I've been lucky, but it's one of the most common physical complaints I've heard on the Camino. God bless. :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
methodist.pilgrim.98 - thanks for the pointer and the kind words.

tyrrek - thank you also for the encouragining words. If the truth be known, I hail from the other side of the pennines, but after 23 years in the white rose county I feel quite at home here.

Hello, James,

I begin my first Camino on May 1, so perhaps we might meet. But then again, your training has been better than mine so I may not catch up to you. I tend to like the uphill,typically, but that's one heckofa climb on the first day. Wonky knees unite! Yikes, it's almost here!

Safe travels and buen Camino.

Cheri

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back