• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One of many holy pilgrimage locations, in Ireland

• Thread starter Former member 49149
  • Start date
F

Former member 49149

I have just begun to read a book by a respected historian, Bernadette Cunningham: Medieval Irish Pilgrims to Santiago. Already she has thrown coconuts at tradition. She is so right!
However, the main reason for me trying to elbow my way in with a thread is an article I have just read about a guy who was an endless feature on national news programmes, till he wasn't.
He was diagnosed with Motor Neuron disease, but he is not sitting down under the diagnosis.
Just recently he was instrumental in raising a phenomenal amount of money for two charities, through his climb up to the summit of a holy place of pilgrimage in Ireland, one recognised by Bernadette, the historian named above.
I think it will be possible to access the article, but if not, and you are interested, send me a pm and I can copy and paste as I subscribe to the paper the article is in.
Nearly €3.5m raised. And Charlie’s not finished yet
https://www.e-pages.dk/irishtimes/2...id=ie.irishtimes.ereader&vl_app_version=5.4.4

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
If this survives, I will be happy. Over to the moderators...
I have just begun to read a book by a respected historian, Bernadette Cunningham: Medieval Irish Pilgrims to Santiago. Already she has thrown coconuts at tradition. She is so right!
However, the main reason for me trying to elbow my way in with a thread is an article I have just read about a guy who was an endless feature on national news programmes, till he wasn't.
He was diagnosed with Motor Neuron disease, but he is not sitting down under the diagnosis.
Just recently he was instrumental in raising a phenomenal amount of money for two charities, through his climb up to the summit of a holy place of pilgrimage in Ireland, one recognised by Bernadette, the historian named above.
I think it will be possible to access the article, but if not, and you are interested, send me a pm and I can copy and paste as I subscribe to the paper the article is in.
https://www.e-pages.dk/irishtimes/2...id=ie.irishtimes.ereader&vl_app_version=5.4.4
The link wants me to download an app in order to read the story. I typically don't download apps for this purpose. 😊

The link wants me to download an app in order to read the story. I typically don't download apps for this purpose. 😊
Neither do I. Thanks for letting me know. I didn't want to take up space by pasting the entire article.
The guy in question walked Croagh Patrick recently, surrounded by supporters. He is in an advanced motor neuron condition. If you are interested, just search for Croagh Patrick to find its significance as a place of pilgrimage, and where it fits in European pilgrimage movements from long ago...

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for that Kirkie.
You might be interested in the connection between Co Fermanagh and Santiago. If you search for 'Enniskillen pilgrim shell Santiago' it comes up as one of Fermanagh's 100 objects. The artefacts are in Enniskillen museum.
There is a story in my family that we are descended from the man who made the pilgrimage, way back when.
Anyway I hadn't heard of the book, so am very grateful.
Ena

If one thinks the walk from Cruz de Ferro down to Acebo is brutal then Croagh Patrick is probably not recommended for your "bucket list".

At the flat area of the walk, my wife and I met a local as we rested from descending the summit. He asked if we knew why St. Patrick spent 40 days and nights at the top.

Of course, we provided the pious explanation of fasting and penance.

To which he replied with a big grin, "Well, if you say so. I think he was just trying to figure out how to get down!"

In good weather, the view is marvelous.

In bad weather, I would question the sanity of anyone up there.

B

EDIT to add photo. I seem to recall this being taken about 20% of the way down from the summit to the flat area below. The right shoulder is a lot steeper grade than the picture suggests and was even narrower and more steep at the top. I only stopped to take the photo so that I could catch my breath.

The walk down to Acebo was now remembered as "not too bad!"

Charlie is an inspiration...
1659035972600.jpeg

Last edited:
An astounding achievement for Charlie Bird in his condition: the fundraising, the raising of awareness and the climb itself. He is not taking MND lying down!

Croagh Patrick is a beautiful but arduous climb even for a fit person. And no guarantee of glorious views from the summit, you can have all four seasons on the way up..

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Kirkie,

I sent you a pm for the article.

Back in 1999, I was diagnosed with ALS, Lou Gehrig’s disease, a motor neuron disease. I was given six months to live. It was terrifying, but my stubborn personality made me fight to prove the doctors wrong, and three months into it, I succeeded. It’s a complicated story and it led to other diagnoses, but it’s what got me started on my quest to make the best of my time.
I began with the Appalachian Trail, then heard about the Caminos. That I have been able to walk thousands of miles is a blessing I never thought I’d get.

So, I am in awe and deep respect for this gentleman and would like to know more, and contribute if I may. I do so here in the States—it is the most frightening diagnosis as there is no cure, no long term solution, and those I know that have passed from it were all amazing and determined people.

And maybe someday I’ll walk this incredible journey with him in mind and heart!
Thank you for sharing!

Most read last week in this forum

Has anyone got information on the hospice (not the auberge) a Great Saint Bernard Pass? I've read their website, and I'd appreciate insights as to how comfortable it is, quality of the food, etc...
Can't get into the official Via Francigena site. I've used it for years, but today all I get when I try to enter it is 'File not found". For example, if I enter...
Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.