• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Osprey quality - fabric fraying

• Thread starter Deleted member 73526
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 73526

I bought a new backpack (I think it's an Osprey Talon 44) at the end of 2017. Since then, I've walked about 300km with it. I've used it as hand luggage on a few flights and as checked luggage twice. Last week I noticed that the fabric at the top corners of the frame has frayed - leaving holes about the length of my thumbnail. I speculate that this is the point of contact between the main rucksack and the top compartment.
I'm surprised to see this kind of damage after so little use, so I'm planning to submit a complaint to Osprey once I confirm the date of purchase and other details.
I expect I can put a piece of fabric or tape over this area to protect it, but I'm rather disappointed to see that this bag isn't as robust as the 10 year old one that it replaced. Have you seen this kind of thing with your Osprey backpacks?

Attachments

• IMG_1984.jpg
    IMG_1984.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1983.jpg
    IMG_1983.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1982.jpg
    IMG_1982.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1981.jpg
    IMG_1981.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 102
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hard to tell but looking at the photographs it looks as if it has been rubbing on something. Having said that you don't expect that sort of thing from the likes of Osprey, I'm sure they'll be sympathetic.

I've just bought the Kestrel 35, only used it four times since purchase but I'll keep my eye on the area. You said that it had been in the plane hold, do you think it could of got damaged there?

I've just bought the Kestrel 35, only used it four times since purchase but I'll keep my eye on the area. You said that it had been in the plane hold, do you think it could of got damaged there?
I don't think the damage was caused by airport handling or in the hold.
The damaged area is covered by the top compartment (which was always in place when the bag was checked). It is not an area which would be directly exposed to the airport equipment.
The damage is on both corners of the frame, and nowhere else. If it had been caused by airport baggage handling, I'd expect to see damage in other locations.
My guess is that the top compartment has chafed away at the fabric that's stretched over the frame.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The founder/owner of Osprey is a good friend of mine. When they get returns, they usually don't even go to the trouble to repair them; they just send you a new pack. Their quality is generally very, very good. In fact, my complaint is that they tend to be over-built, like with heavy flaps over big zippers that aren't really necessary, etc. Absolutely return it. They learn from weaknesses they see on their products to improve the newer versions.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have a similar Osprey pack I have walked with for more than 1,500 km (purchased in St Jean in 2017 after the shoulder strap on another brand detached from the body of the pack irreparably after walking just from Le Puy), and I have not seen any fraying similar to yours. From the photos it looked more like direct impact/tearing rather than abrasion, and I reckon transit through baggage handling systems is more likely the cause. Glad to hear that C clearly gained a replacement without a squabble - I only got a 50% refund and only after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing (not Osprey, I emphasise).

Last edited:
From the photos it looked more like direct impact/tearing rather than abrasion, and I reckon transit through baggage handling systems is more likely the cause.
Well, of course, it's for Osprey to assess the damage and decide whether it's covered or not. If they judge that this damage was caused by an impact, then I would not expect them to resolve this under guarantee.
Personally, I think this damage is unlikely to have been caused by direct impact during baggage handling, since the damage is on two "symmetrical' locations that aren't externally exposed.
Glad to hear that you have a replacement without a squabble - I only got a 50% refund and only after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing (not Osprey, I emphasise).
I have only just submitted my claim, so I have no idea how Osprey will respond. But the comments from the folks who have responded here give me some optimism. I'll post here when I get a resolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a new backpack (I think it's an Osprey Talon 44) at the end of 2017. Since then, I've walked about 300km with it. I've used it as hand luggage on a few flights and as checked luggage twice. Last week I noticed that the fabric at the top corners of the frame has frayed - leaving holes about the length of my thumbnail. I speculate that this is the point of contact between the main rucksack and the top compartment.
I'm surprised to see this kind of damage after so little use, so I'm planning to submit a complaint to Osprey once I confirm the date of purchase and other details.
I expect I can put a piece of fabric or tape over this area to protect it, but I'm rather disappointed to see that this bag isn't as robust as the 10 year old one that it replaced. Have you seen this kind of thing with your Osprey backpacks?

I suspect that rough handling when checked on an airline is a proximate cause of the fraying. You are correct that this is where the internal frame pushes against the upper bag corners.

This said, DO contact Osprey. Their customer service and warranty coverage is second to none. They stand behind their products. The damage can be easily repaired by having a shoe repair person sew a leather patch in the corner to protect the corner, while repairing the tears. A field expedient repair involves cutting and applying duck tape patches.

As regards checking ANY rucksack on an airline, I recommend obtaining an inexpensive, nylon / polyester laundry bag in a dollar store (pound store) Put the rucksack in the laundry bag, double know the cord. Attach an address tag.

I use brightly colored nylon laundry bags. On arrival the laundry bag can become a rucksack liner, OR you can mail it down the road with other items not needed until you arrive at Santiago.

This way, the outer bag takes all the punishment the baggage handlers can dish out. Also, things DO get caught in the baggage movement machinery. Using an outer, expendable cover is a sound and inexpensive way to protect your investment.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I second all the comments on Osprey Customer After Service - they go above and beyond. I had trouble with my waist belt and they had a contractor here in Australia who made me a brand new one - no questions asked. When I hike the PCT in 2020 I am definitely going the Osprey route as well as the ultra light companies don't even come close to after purchase care. Buen Camino and keep on hiking

I second all the comments on Osprey Customer After Service - they go above and beyond. I had trouble with my waist belt and they had a contractor here in Australia who made me a brand new one - no questions asked. When I hike the PCT in 2020 I am definitely going the Osprey route as well as the ultra light companies don't even come close to after purchase care. Buen Camino and keep on hiking

You are absolutely right about Osprey's customer service, they do a tremendous job taking aftermarket care and support of their customers. I have to gently, but very much disagree with the blanket statement about 'ultra light companies', however. ULA, zPacks, Gossamer Gear, Enlightened Equipment, TarpTents, Six Moons Designs, etc. are all examples of such gear manufacturers that do as terrific a job as Osprey in making good on defective and prematurely worn equipment.

I have been in the office of ULA's owner when he received a call from a customer who had been using his Circuit backpack for 4 months and had been out with it backpacking for a lot of the time during those months. The customer complained that he just hated the color of the pack's fabric (a color he chose when he ordered it) and that the pack didn't feel 'right'. Chris told me about what the customer said after he had finished with the caller.

Chris asked him some questions about adjustments, but it was apparent that the customer just didn't like the pack, according to Chris. The solution: Chris took his email address and forwarded a link so that the customer could print out a pre-paid label to return the pack. The customer wanted a refund, and that's what Chris did.

I asked Chris why he did that when there clearly wasn't a problem with the pack. He said that rather than make a customer feel like they are risking their money with an online purchase, that ULA will make sure that a potential customer feels just the opposite. Chris also gave me a bit of a wink and said that it isn't a total loss for him as they do sell used and returned equipment. So when the pack arrives, it will be examined for defects, cleaned, and offered for sale at a discount.

I have heard similar examples of relaxed return policies and warranty service from just about every ultralight equipment manufacturer that I have either gear tested for, or have been a customer of their products.

There is a reason that ULA and Zpacks backpacks and Enlightened Equipment's sleeping quilts are in heavy demand and among the most favored packs and quilts on the Pacific Crest Trail. Ultralight weight and comfort are just part of the reason When I through hiked it with my Circuit, I had a very comfortable pack at under 2.5 pounds which carried not just my base weight gear, but also the 5 to 8 days of consumables (food, fuel, etc) between my resupply points. Not only did that backpack survive, but it is still going strong. The same with my Gossamer Gear Mariposa, which I used to thru-hike the Colorado Trail and then used on my 2017 and 2018 Caminos.

Prior to last September's SJPdP to SdC, I decided to replace the hipbelt on my Gossamer Gear Mariposa. Just normal wear and tear but still functional. Mainly I wanted to go to the next smaller belt size. I gave the customer service representative my account number and made my order explaining why I wanted the new belt. The CSR was getting ready to finish the call, so I asked if she wanted my credit card number. No, she said. I asked why since I wasn't claiming any malfunction issues, and she said that there had been a slight modification to the belts design and that old belts were being replaced for free.

I saw a guy on the PCT that I had meet with one of zPacks Arc frame packs make a call to Zpacks at Snoqualmie Pass, Wa while we were eating together at a restaurant (it is near to the PCT). To me it looked like one of the adjustment buckle attachment points had broken loose, and Ken had made a field expedient repair with a bit of extra cordage from his tent.

Long story short, he had a brand new pack the next afternoon that had been FedEx'd immediately after he had made that mid-morning call. No charge. Zpacks didn't even expect him to send the old pack back because of being on the trail.

Osprey is a good brand of pack, and the fact that it is not as light as some offerings is not a sole factor to discontinue its use. But fear of the lack of customer care after the sale of other ultralightweight offerings should not be a factor keeping one away from some really terrific Cottage manufacturers.

I think the availability of a lot of the ultralight companies, at least from America, is probably a bigger hindrance, though. :)

I bought a new Osprey Kestrel 28 at REI in Portland OR a month before we left for Spain. It made the flight to Madrid inside a suitcase. When I reached Santiago there were worn patches on the hip belt where the internal frame rubbed against my hips. I was surprised and disappointed. I returned it for a full refund and went back to my externally framed Kelty I have been using since the early 1970's. I just can't wear that pack out although I have replaced the hip belt. I will probably use a smaller pack on my next Camino.

Conclusion - Osprey has offered to put a fabric or sugru patch over the damaged areas.

I took a closer look at the rucksack last night and I think that the location of the damage corresponds to the areas where there could be contact from the plastic cleats for adjusting the removable top. If that's the case, then I guess I might see signs of chafing on the patched areas in the future. I'll keep an eye on this. .

Lessons learnt:
1. Osprey is pretty easy to deal with. Their response is fair.
2. In future I'll be more wary of products with features that I don't need or want. (e.g. detachable top compartment). Keep It Simple Stupid.
3. Hand luggage only. If a friend asks me to bring a large jar of Marmite again, I'll mail it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The chest strap on my new Osprey Kestrel 48 tore off after about two weeks - fortunately, a tailor somehow was able to reattach it a week or two later (this was on the Chemin d'Arles), and fortunately, I was able to get a replacement when I got home (it's still in the plastic bag, eagerly awaiting my using it later this year!). I have to say, in terms of comfort, it is a great backpack, and I no doubt was carrying more than I actually needed (I never learn!)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Osprey's response "After inspection our repair agent would feel that darning using a Satin Stitch would be the best way to repair your pack."

I expect I'll get the darned rucksack back soon. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.