• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Osprey 38 Eja backpack

dreaming

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, LE PUY
Hi. My backpack has been on two caminos Le Puy and CF. It is five years old. It has started to wear near the bottom of the frame where its placed on the ground. It also has developed holes in the mesh at the front and side pockets? The shop where i bought it suggested tape for the bottom. Any suggestions for mending the mesh? It is not covered by Osprey's Almighty guarantee in Australia as considered wear and tear by the Outdoor shop i purchased it from. The first thing he said was it is a light weight pack as if they don't wear well. I like the pack however wouldn't buy again as is too long for cabin luggage on budget airlines like Veuling. Thanks in advance

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My Osprey sirrus pack had the back mesh torn and I sent it back to them, hoping they would repair it, but they sent me a new pack instead. It's a nice pack, but I kinda wanted my old one back! Osprey has been sold to another company and I'm not sure what their return policy is.. Before, Osprey had an entire warehouse full of all the parts, toggles, belts, everything from every pack for every year since they started. I wonder if the new company does that, too?
Contact Osprey and let us know what they say. Thanks!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
As others have said, write to Osprey. They have a great reputation for customer service related to product quality.

My Osprey sirrus pack had the back mesh torn and I sent it back to them, hoping they would repair it, but they sent me a new pack instead. It's a nice pack, but I kinda wanted my old one back! Osprey has been sold to another company and I'm not sure what their return policy is.. Before, Osprey had an entire warehouse full of all the parts, toggles, belts, everything from every pack for every year since they started. I wonder if the new company does that, too?
Contact Osprey and let us know what they say. Thanks!
What pack did they send you? I just bought the Osprey Viva 45 as I'm doing the camino and the TMB, and the salesperson said that Osprey is getting away from the mesh pockets as they don't last. It doesn't come with a front pocket, which I'm not sure I like, but has 2 large side pockets not made of mesh. Does anyone have the viva, or other pack without the front pocket?

What pack did they send you? I just bought the Osprey Viva 45 as I'm doing the camino and the TMB, and the salesperson said that Osprey is getting away from the mesh pockets as they don't last. It doesn't come with a front pocket, which I'm not sure I like, but has 2 large side pockets not made of mesh. Does anyone have the viva, or other pack without the front pocket?
Osprey sent me the newer Sirrus pack. I think I liked the curved back zipper on the old version better (tho I haven't used this new one yet). I doubt that the mesh pockets don't last. My friend Mike owned Osprey and designed all the packs - and offered the lifetime warranty - until he sold it about two years ago to Helen of Troy. Before he sold it, he gave me a lightweight Eja 38, so now I have two brand new packs I haven't used yet. Hoping to walk the Sanabres with my daughter in April, so we'll flip a coin for who gets which pack. Or maybe we'll take turns to do comparative field testing!

I just looked on their site and it still says this:

[[Osprey will repair any damage or defect for any reason free of charge — whether it was produced in 1974 or yesterday. If we are unable to perform a functional repair on your pack, we will happily replace it. We proudly stand behind this guarantee, so much so that it bears the signature of company founder and head designer, Mike Pfotenhauer..]]

Sounds to me like they still cover wear and tear. I don't know how much shipping is from Australia, but you should deal with Osprey directly and let the salesperson know.

I did notice on the site, too, that they have dropped a lot of the earlier designs.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Update: I just saw this on the Osprey site under International Customer Service:
OUR WARRANTY DIFFERS SLIGHTLY INTERNATIONALLY FROM COUNTRY TO COUNTRY, DEPENDING ON LOCAL LAWS AND CUSTOMS. WHILE WE STRIVE TO PROVIDE THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE WARRANTY WE POSSIBLY CAN, ULTIMATELY WE HAVE TO RELY ON OUR LOCAL DISTRIBUTORS TO DETERMINE WHAT MAKES SENSE IN THEIR COUNTRY. IN CASES OF PRODUCTION OR MATERIAL DEFECT, FULL WARRANTY SUPPORT WILL BE OFFERED. NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR WILL BE LEFT UP TO THE DISTRIBUTORS DISCRETION.

I have emailed Osprey and will let you know how i get on. Mesh pockets definitely do wear. Only tough enough for soft clothes etc..

I received an email from Osprey Australia. They do not cover wear and tear in their warranty in Australia only manufacturing defects. I will be looking at all brands when purchasing my new backpack as the warranty doesn't make a scrap of difference.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I received an email from Osprey Australia. They do not cover wear and tear in their warranty in Australia only manufacturing defects. I will be looking at all brands when purchasing my new backpack as the warranty doesn't make a scrap of difference.
That's so disappointing since I own a few Osprey bags. I have only used the "almighty guarantee" once and that was for bag wheels that deteriorated due to old age on a trip. I lodged a claim with the aus distributor and I got replacement wheels sent for free.
I checked again on the au Osprey site and they still have the spill on the free repairs regardless of age.

Update
Despite Osprey saying wear and tear wasn't covered, they suggested I send photos of my pack so they could advise me how to fix it. Their reply was that I could send my pack to Coburg in Melbourne and they would fix it free of charge. I only had to pay 1 dollar for the box. Postage both ways was free. I certainly didn't expect this service.

I would write to Osprey to confirm rather than relying on the outdoor shop.
We had an Osprey pack that had seen better days and was too far gone for repair. Outside of the US, the ´life time´ guarantee doesn´t apply so Osprey wouldn´t replace it, but they came back later with the offer of a display model for free (it was too big so we gave it to a friend, but it was a nice gesture). So the message is try Osprey, they may help.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
A further update. I still don't have my backpack yet. Apparently they repaired the mesh pockets but couldn't repair the worn area on the bottom of the backpack. The backpack is deemed lightweight so it is made of less durable materials and not expected to last.
Not worth the effort of sending it to Osprey in Australia.

Backpack arrived today albeit looking a bit manhandled probably from Australia Post or the factory.
All they did was place three small heat patches on the mesh. I could have sewn patches on myself.
This seems a lot of expense for Osprey with postage and paying for the repair
Not worth the effort of sending it to Osprey in Australia. Do it yourself.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.