• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Our first Camino - Camino Frances

hcsut

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning Sept 2014
Hello!

Myself and my sister are planning to do our first Camino, beginning first week in September 2014. We are both fairly fit individuals, and able to walk relatively long distances - though have never done so in hiking boots and with heavy packs! Does anyone have any advice or help for our first time, and albergues to head to (or avoid!), or any tips for getting through it! I am most worried about my feet, and they get sore easily, so any top tips for looking after them would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello!

Myself and my sister are planning to do our first Camino, beginning first week in September 2014. We are both fairly fit individuals, and able to walk relatively long distances - though have never done so in hiking boots and with heavy packs! Does anyone have any advice or help for our first time, and albergues to head to (or avoid!), or any tips for getting through it! I am most worried about my feet, and they get sore easily, so any top tips for looking after them would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
i am far far less travelled than alot of the good people on this forum i will suggest dont wait till your feet are killing you try to stop before you get that tired,go slowly and carefully enjoy plenty of snack breaks and no matter how much fun you have with people you meet be ready to new people and include them in the fun, [thinking here of the post "not feeling the love"]and bring a few packs of tissues [some of the toilets have theirs stolen by others passing through]oh and have a great time.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Jennie gave you an excellent hint about going slow and not waiting till you are dropping on your knees to take breaks. Even 10-15 minutes breaks every hour can make an amazing difference on how long you can go and in what shape you are at the end of the day. You will get stronger, so stay focused those first 3-4 days until you break the threshold when you will actually feel your leg muscles stronger. Drink water and stretch, stretch, stretch. Stretching will warm your muscles and also "squeezes" the acid that builds up in your muscles due to exercise. The acid goes to your blood, but the water will help you balance the pH in your blood and, eventually flushed it out. I took magnesium pills every day. This will help your muscles recover and bounce back beautifully. :)

As far as staying away from, Albergue Santa Ana in San Martin del Camino and Albergue Gil in Reliegos are pure, unadulterated dumps. I saw the Municipal in Najera and ran on the other direction. Typically, I do not stay in Albergues, but I have stay on a good share of them having walked large sections of the Camino every year since 2011. Yes, often many pilgrims that leave early will take the toilet paper, so for this and many other practical reasons, always have your own personal stash.

Hi hcsut
Welcome to the forum. Light shoes or boots and light backpack. Then you can walk far. Make sure they fit well, are well broken in and that you train with your pack on. Wayfarer's link is a very good starting point.

Buen Camino

If you stop at the lovely Albergue Roncal in Cizur Menor, 5 km's after Pamplona the lady that runs it gives some excellent footcare advice and can show you how best to tie your laces. My feet were fine throughout but others I knew swore by her advice afterwards and it really is a lovely Albergue. If you stop in Hontanas, after Burgos then I'd recommend the small Albergue above the store on the left hand side at the bottom of the hill and for a lovely surprise I'd definitely recommend the En El Camino Albergue in Boadilla del Camino. It looks pretty shabby from the outside but when you walk through the outer gates you walk into a lovely garden with a swimming pool. There are so many lovely Albergues to choose from though and I'm sure you can find out from others here or from previous posts which ones are recommended to stop at or avoid. Don't judge an Albergue by it's looks though, the one in Bercianos del Real Camino doesn't look like much from the outside but the atmosphere inside is brilliant, although I understand you have to sing for your supper these days.
Sorry, but near the end there's another lovely Albergue in San Xulian, the Casa Domingo, another one of my favorites. Lastly, I promise, don't be put off by the description of the huge Seminario Menor in SDC in Brierley's guide, it's kept beautifully clean all day long and the facilities are excellent and it's so cheap. I hope you both have a great Camino, you're in for the experience of a lifetime.
PS. Don't forget the Compeed, just in case.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back