• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Overnight train Paris to Bayonne

Littleold

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2023
I'm arriving in Paris August 13.30 on 28 August, (31 hour flight from Australia). Older woman, travelling solo. Although I'll only have cabin baggage I figure I'll be in CDG for a couple of hours at least. I planned on taking a train to Bayonne, but the timing means that most options arrive post 22.00. Noting that I'm on a budget, flying to Biarritz isn't really an option. I was planning to stay a night in Bayonne to both see the town and ease a bit of the jetlag out of the old bones but checking in at that time (if it's possible) then getting up early to check out just doesn't appeal as it will be my first decent sleep (reiterating older woman here flying from Australia :) ). I could stay a night in Paris, take a day train then stay in Bayonne as planned, and just wear the extra accomm cost. But there appears to be an overnight train that leaves Montparnasse at 21.42, arriving at Bayonne 9.43. It's also quite cheap! This means I could sleep on the train (6 berth couchette) and spend the day/next night in Bayonne before going on to SJPDP. Question: has anyone done this overnight train ride? Does it seem like a good option?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi there.

Re thé night train, it’s a long time to wait around for the night train, after that long flight. And you may not get a lot of sleep in the couchette.

If you’re happy to go into Paris Montparnasse I see there are a few seats available on the direct train to Bayonne leaving at 4.11pm on the 28 August arriving Bayonne 8.12 pm. There are a few inexpensive hotels near Bayonne station.

And instead of a night in Paris and a night in Bayonne - that you mention as an option - you could have two nights in Bayonne. Gives you the opportunity of a good sleep in and / or afternoon nap. And hopefully feel refreshed when you make your way to SJPP. Bayonne is a delightful town. 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
I did look at the 4.11 but from a lot of comments in this forum I thought that arrival at CDG 1.30pm and then train to Montparnasse to catch it would be cutting that too fine?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I did look at the 4.11 but from a lot of comments in this forum I thought that arrival at CDG 1.30pm and then train to Montparnasse to catch it would be cutting that too fine?
Ah yes’ apologies. I misread your arrival time. That would be tight.

If you stick with your original idea of train from CDG to Bayonne arriving around 10pm, that would be fine - if you know you can check in at that time (maybe Hotel Cote Basque or Ibis, both near station). I’d be surprised if you can’t check in at that time. Both are a few mins walk from the station and I think they’d cater for people arriving by train. And have two nights there if your time allows.

Another option is the same train from CDG just to Bordeaux. Stay the night there and on to Bayonne or Bayonne/SJPP the following day, but I’d only do that if the late check in in Bayonne were a problem.

Or the overnight train you mentioned from Montparnasse. Having flown Sydney to Paris many times, that would be my last choice. I’d vote for a hotel bed over a couchette after that long flight.

All the best with your plans, and Camino 😎

Littleold,

To begin past CFs I often rode the train de nuit/ night train in a couchette/berth from Paris to Bayonne. It felt magical to fall asleep in Paris, hear/feel the carriages move through the night and awaken in Bayonne .

The train carries freight besides passengers in both seats and berths. The earlier you book the cheaper is the price .There are both first class and second class berths and usually an all women carriage. If you are over 60 you can get a further reduced ticket. Hence it can be quite a bargain!

Happy planning and Bon voyage.

Last edited:
To begin past CFs I often rode the train de nuit/ night train in a couchette/berth from Paris to Bayonne. It felt magical to fall asleep in Paris, hear/feel the carriages move through the night and awaken in Bayonne .
It really does sound magical @mspath I would like to do it one night - but I wouldn't choose it the night after a flight from Australia - but maybe @Littleold is made of sterner stuff, in which case, pourquoi pas? 😍

It’s been good to read that some of the overnight trains are being reinstated! Now that we are living in France we hope to make some of those journeys.❤️

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Bordeaux seems a good compromise. I stayed in Paris in this February for 1 night on a stop over. The room was €300 if I had paid for it - and no opportunity for cat swinging . Thank goodness I had points.

They also have a sense of humour there.

Attachments

• IMG_0918.JPG
    IMG_0918.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0927.JPG
    IMG_0927.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0912.JPG
    IMG_0912.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
I arrive in Bordeaux in the evening of 1st September and plan to arrive in Bayonne potentially after midnight, have booked to stay in hostel20 who assure me they have 24hr check in desk
That’s very helpful for those arriving late in Bayonne 😎

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You've won me - I'll have dinner in Paris then croon train songs to myself as I am gently rocked overnight to Bayonne.
Thanks all for your comments.

You've won me - I'll have dinner in Paris then croon train songs to myself as I am gently rocked overnight to Bayonne.

Come back and tell us how the journey was. Night trains used to be quite common but sort of died off due to budget airlines. Now that budget airlines are no longer budget, there are a few more night trains appearing.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Check and see if you can book an entire couchette. The SNCF website says this:
You can also book special areas aboard your train:
  • Espace Privatif. With this option, you can book an entire 1st- or 2nd-class couchette compartment for your own private use. The fee for this paid service starts at €40. (Not offered during peak travel periods.)
  • Dame Seule/Solo Lady. If you’re a woman travelling alone or with young children, book this free service to share a 2nd-class compartment with other women.

Now that budget airlines are no longer budget, there are a few more night trains appearing.
There's also more demand thanks to climate concerns. Taking a train over a relatively short distance makes much more sense. And sleepers are really a joy.

Last edited:
Glad that you will be taking the train de nuit. Please do let all of us know how your journey progresses. Wherever/however you go Carpe diem.

@Littleold this sounds a wonderful idea. Do check though when you book - the overnight train to Bayonne usually departs from Paris Austerlitz (a different station) rather than Montparnasse. It will come up in your search results even if you're looking for trains leaving from Montparnasse, but should say 'Paris Austerlitz' as the departure station if it's leaving from there. Have a great trip and do report back here on your experience!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for that info @VNwalking Those are great options to know about re booking the special space.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip @Littleold

There's also more demand thanks to climate concerns. Taking a train over a relatively short distance makes much more sense. And sleepers are really a joy.
So true re the trains over short distance. And not to derail the thread but the ban on short haul flights in France came into effect at the end of May - any journeys that are possible in less than two-and-a-half hours by train cannot be taken as a flight. The law will mostly rule out air trips between Paris Orly airport and regional hubs such as Nantes, Lyon and Bordeaux. The original legislation had a longer timeframe (i think it was 4 hours) that met with some opposition (largely from airlines I believe) but the 2.5 hours is a good start in moving people away from air travel. Living in France for now, we travel by train all the time. It's so easy and fast. We live more than 700 kms from Paris and can travel by train in 3.5 hours Even with the French penchant for strikes, it's our preferred mode of transport.

I'm arriving in Paris August 13.30 on 28 August, (31 hour flight from Australia). Older woman, travelling solo. Although I'll only have cabin baggage I figure I'll be in CDG for a couple of hours at least. I planned on taking a train to Bayonne, but the timing means that most options arrive post 22.00. Noting that I'm on a budget, flying to Biarritz isn't really an option. I was planning to stay a night in Bayonne to both see the town and ease a bit of the jetlag out of the old bones but checking in at that time (if it's possible) then getting up early to check out just doesn't appeal as it will be my first decent sleep (reiterating older woman here flying from Australia :) ). I could stay a night in Paris, take a day train then stay in Bayonne as planned, and just wear the extra accomm cost. But there appears to be an overnight train that leaves Montparnasse at 21.42, arriving at Bayonne 9.43. It's also quite cheap! This means I could sleep on the train (6 berth couchette) and spend the day/next night in Bayonne before going on to SJPDP. Question: has anyone done this overnight train ride? Does it seem like a good option?
Hello,
In case my previous response didn't take->
In 2016, I took the overnight train from Paris to Bayonne in a 4-bed couchette, and it worked fine. It's like a hostel on wheels. In Bayonne, I took the bus to SJPP. I would do it again.
all the best,
Tacey, who's now 73

In 2019 my wife and I took a day train from Paris and stayed in the Hotel Cote Basque in Bayonne. We found it charming. It was our first hotel on the continent since we were kids. Ancient cage-type elevator. Big window that opened wide above the bustling square below with the river and train station in sight. Excellent breakfast included. If you can, try to get a front-facing room.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Littleold,

The train carries freight besides passengers in both seats and berths. The earlier you book the cheaper is the price .There are both first class and second class berths and usually an all women carriage. If you are over 60 you can get a further reduced ticket. Hence it can be quite a bargain!

Happy planning and Bon voyage.
I travel the beginning of April 24, may be late March.... I will Eurostar to Paris, which rail company are you refering to? Thank you.

I travel the beginning of April 24, may be late March.... I will Eurostar to Paris, which rail company are you refering to? Thank you.
This train was/is run by the French
SNCF. (This hot link will provide booking info in English)
Happy planning and Bon Voyage.

Last edited:
We took the TGV because the SCNF was full. They are both fast trains but the THV is a little faster and a little more expensive I believe.

€149,-
We took the TGV because the SCNF was full. They are both fast trains but the THV is a little faster and a little more expensive I believe.
HI there, just to clarify for others who may read this thread. SNCF is the national French railway operator in France. SNCF runs the TGV high speed services (the service that you took). SNCF also runs Intercities for medium distances services and TERs for urban, local and regional services. The Paris to Bayonne low cost night train would be an intercity service, I believe. 😎

HI there, just to clarify for others who may read this thread. SNCF is the national French railway operator in France. SNCF runs the TGV high speed services (the service that you took). SNCF also runs Intercities for medium distances services and TERs for urban, local and regional services. The Paris to Bayonne low cost night train would be an intercity service, I believe. 😎
Thanks all for replying.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back