• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Palace of the Kings of Navarre, Olite

isabeau

Time of past OR future Camino
Autumn 2024
Greetings,

We are soon approaching our very first camino. We will be flying from California to Madrid and then taking the train to Pamplona for our starting point. That journey will take us approximately a day and a half or two days until we arrive.

We then have two days in Pamplona to ship our luggage to our end point, get our Pilgrim's pass and rest from jet lag before we start.

We've never been to Pamplona and are wondering if we should just use our whole two days to relax in Pamplona or try to take a side excursion for a half day to Olite for the castle.

We travel so little that we're not likely to make it that direction again.

Has anyone done this side trip? Is it worth it? Or is better to just rest up and focus on Pamplona before starting our walk.

We'll be walking for about 8 days straight until we have a rest but have an easy to moderate pace ranging from 12km to 19km per day.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Do remember that you will be tired after your long flight; take some time to really rest/sleep before you start to walk. Enjoy Pamplona as you relax; for example visit the five-pointed-star-shaped 16th c. Pamplona citadel. Or have a drink or two recalling Hemingway

Happy planning and Bon voyage

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Greetings,

We are soon approaching our very first camino. We will be flying from California to Madrid and then taking the train to Pamplona for our starting point. That journey will take us approximately a day and a half or two days until we arrive.

We then have two days in Pamplona to ship our luggage to our end point, get our Pilgrim's pass and rest from jet lag before we start.

We've never been to Pamplona and are wondering if we should just use our whole two days to relax in Pamplona or try to take a side excursion for a half day to Olite for the castle.

Has anyone done this side trip? Is it worth it? Or is better to just rest up and focus on Pamplona before starting our walk.

We'll be walking for about 8 days straight until we have a rest but have an easy to moderate pace ranging from 12km to 19km per day.

You will have sat a long time on the plane and train. See the castle. See the sites in Pamplona. You may not have another opportunity.

I suggest you rest in Pamplona. You’ll need it. Besides, there’s plenty to see in Pamplona. It’s an interesting and beautiful city. Make the most of it is my advice. More importantly, give yourself time to acclimatise before you start walking. You’ll see plenty of great things on your walk…..

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I can't comment on the Palace of the Kings, but the Museum of Navarre in Pamplona is an amazing art and history museum, if that type of place interests you. It doesn't seem to get the notice that it deserves.

I agree. I've visited it twice. Free admission with your credential so get it stamped beforehand.

Olite is definitely worth a visit. It’s the closest thing to a fairy castle I’ve ever seen.

Hola Isabeau

Wow - so much to see...!
Pamplona is so worthwhile - I agree the Citadella is really impressive, AND the Museo is also great value

Olite is also well worth the sidetrip - impressive castle and an attractive little town - good access by the bus

Perhaps on balance, it may suit you more to stay and see the sights in Pamplona - you seem to have a full timetable for the first 10 days or so

As you will be aware - Watch out for the heat

Buen camino
Stephen
in New Zealand

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Greetings,

I have flown Los Angeles to New York to Madrid then bus to Pamplona.

It was a long and tiring couple of travel days.

The first night in Pamplona I slept in a moderately priced hotel to bathe, rest, and prepare to travel to camino starting point.

Take the time to see all you can in case you never go that way again.

That includes as many side trips in addition to Pamplona’s that time, money, and energy allow.

Buen camino.

If this Palace is a place you really want to see, then go see it. I really wanted to see Picasso's Guernica Painting so I stayed overnight in Madrid and went to see it. I'm glad I did. And it was very convenient. The Museum of Sofia Reina is only a few block from the Attocha Station where I would be taking the train the next morning. There's a bus from the Airport that took me right to Attocha, then I visited the museum and stayed overnight at a nearby Albergue. Next morning I woke up and took the 7:30 train to Pamplona. My whole description of how I got to St Jean can be seen here under Camino Notes: http://tmanshikes.com/speaking-events/

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back