• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Pamplona Encierros 2014

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Viva San Fermin !........... Gora San Fermin ! :)

Ondo Ibili !

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
OMG! What a difference it makes to see the videos, after having walked the streets of Pamplona to now recalling how smooth and slippery the cobbles are.

A couple of good tramplings on the third run:

http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/...rmines-2014-toros-victoriano-del-rio/2650876/

The man in the pink and grey stripped t-shirt toward the end can be seen for several years in runnings. He does an excellent job of protecting other runners. It is likely he is an experienced bull handler, perhaps a retired bullfighter.

The guys in green shirts with long sticks work for the toro ranches. It is their job to keep the bulls running forward. You can see them toward the end standing side by side with their arms outstretched to turn the rogue lone bull. They do this on the ranches when herding the bulls, so the bulls are somewhat trained to go the other way. However, bulls have never been in front of a toreador or cape. That might make them aware of the tricks of the bullfighter and far too smart when in their first, and only, bullfight.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And tomorrow ( Sunday) the elite....... Muiras

Then all will sing ...... "Pobre de mi." :(

Ondo Ibili !

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And the iconic ironic moment:

My own final introductory words of advice are simple: if you want to guarantee you’ll survive running the bulls, stay off the street and watch it from a balcony.

— Alexander Fiske-Harrison, co-author of “Fiesta: How to Survive the Bulls of Pamplona

MADRID — Ernest Hemingway followed such advice, preferring to write about the traditional running of the bulls, an annual event that these days attracts tens of thousands of tourists from all over the world. So did another devotee, Orson Welles, though it’s hard to resist the thought of the rotund director chugging along with the rampaging animals.

Unfortunately, perhaps, one of Mr. Fiske-Harrison’s co-authors, an American named Bill Hillmann, did not, and was gored in the leg on Wednesday when he tripped during the charge through the streets.

Mr. Hillmann suffered serious muscle tissue damage, but none to the bone or arteries, said Mr. Fiske-Harrison, a British writer and amateur bullfighter who ran behind Mr. Hillmann on Wednesday and later visited him in the hospital.

Mr. Fiske-Harrison blamed a fellow runner for the accident. He said that Mr. Hillmann, who is 32 and from Chicago, was extremely experienced, with “great running technique,” but that he had been pushed.

“This is getting more dangerous every year, with more and more people showing up but having no idea whatsoever about bulls,” Mr. Fiske-Harrison harrumphed. “The No. 1 rule is to show respect for the other runners, which many seem to forget.”

A Spanish runner was gored through the chest on Wednesday and was described as being in serious condition by the local authorities. Three other runners suffered light injuries during the half-mile or so stampede through the narrow and winding streets of Pamplona’s Old Town.

The San Fermín festival, which lasts a week and dates to the 13th century, became a worldwide phenomenon after Hemingway immortalized it in his 1926 novel, “The Sun Also Rises.” The festival has continued to attract more visitors since, raising security concerns.

This year, the authorities introduced a tougher security code, including fines ranging from 600 to 60,000 euros, or about $817 to $81,750, for people found to be endangering the safety of others, often because of their decision to join the run after heavy drinking.

Even though goring accidents are common, few result in life-threatening injuries. The last fatal accident took place five years ago, when a Spaniard was gored in the neck.

Mr. Fiske-Harrison said he went to Pamplona this year with friends and the other authors of the book, including John Hemingway, a grandson of Hemingway. John Hemingway did not run on Wednesday because, Mr. Fiske-Harrison said, “he slept in, which shows a high level of wisdom.”

It is “certainly ironic” that a co-author of a Pamplona survival guide should be gored, Mr. Fiske-Harrison said, adding, “We will probably need to update the book.”

And for the judgement-impaired British with an excess of testosterone:

Trampled man 'in agony' after Spain's Pamplona bull run
_76209493_tpbullap.jpg
Tom Hadfield was trampled in Pamplona, Spain, on Tuesday

A British man photographed being trampled during a bull run in Spain has described the "agony" he felt.

Tom Hadfield, from Nottingham, passed out and feared he had been paralysed after being injured during the San Fermin festival in Pamplona on Tuesday.

Several other people were hurt during the traditional Running of the Bulls.

Speaking from his bed in Hospital De Navarro in the city, Mr Hadfield said: "It's a miracle they didn't crush my skull or break my back."

Mr Hadfield has been criticised on social media for taking part, with some people saying he deserved to die.

In response, he said: "I swear I didn't even know they killed the bulls afterwards.

"I am totally against bull fighting and any sort of cruelty to animals. I'm just an adrenaline junkie."

_76206774_a4dade13-d610-4c70-918b-8213dbc9a679.jpg
Tom Hadfield expects to be in hospital for the rest of this week
The 23-year-old travelled to Spain on Monday with friends, to take part in the bull run.

Mr Hadfield took part last year but told the Nottingham Post he probably would not be doing it again.

He suffered four fractured ribs and a punctured lung before being rescued and taken to hospital.

'Vomiting blood'
"I think a few of them trampled me," he said.

"I've never experienced pain like this before. It's agony.

"Afterwards I got up and carried on running for a bit. Then I started to get dizzy and found somewhere safe to keel over.

"Next thing I know, I'm vomiting blood on the street and there is a big crowd around me.

"Then I passed out and woke up in the ambulance. Pretty scary. I thought I was paralysed."

_76206181_tptom2.jpg

Tom Hadfield took part in the event in 2013
The Nottingham Trent University graduate, originally from Dunmow, Essex, expects to be in hospital for the rest of this week before flying home and returning to work.

Mr Hadfield said: "I did it last year and it was without doubt the best feeling I've ever had in my life.

"I guess I just thought I was invincible but now I realise I'm not."

Many people are injured each year, while 15 people are believed to have died since record-keeping began in 1910.

_76206780_023032670-1.jpg

Groups including People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) protest against the event each year
_76168183_023101938-1.jpg

Many people are injured each year

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back