• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona to Santiago in October

BucketBabe

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances planned for October 3-mid November (2018)
Hello all,

I'm tremendously excited about my Camino and take off from Atlanta to Madrid on October 2nd. I've allotted a total of 40 day before I get back on a plane home. Due to layover and a night flight to Madrid, I'll arrive around 9 am the next day. I'm sorting through how to get to Pamplona from the airport and still have some confusion that I thought I could sort out but I have concerns. I just started looking at hostels in Pamplona and allotted myself two days to get it all together. I'll begin walking Friday, October 4th due to my concerns about jet lag, obtaining my credential (read the muni hostel has them for purchase) and I'm looking to take a day to acclimate. Already, some of the hostels are booked! Surprise! So I grabbed a couple of nights at a private one in a dorm just to make sure I have a "soft" landing because I really didn't want to count on accommodation and then be unpleasantly surprised.

I hadn't realized that this would be an issue in October after all the reading I've started blazing through, so this took me by surprise. Should I go ahead and book my train from Atocha Station to Pamplona too? Since I'm arriving at 9ish AM, I don't want to cut it too close and was thinking I'd just take an afternoon train because I'm not sure how confusing the whole airport process will be. How hard is it to get to Atocha from the airport - how long should I give myself to clear customs, get to Atocha, etc.?

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated regarding transport to Pamplona (I want easy peasy and to be as relaxed as possible but a chance to meet other Camino walkers). Also, thanks for any words of encouragement and advice to calm my nerves about accommodations now that I've realized that hostels may be a little more crowded than I thought. Thanks so much - this forum has been a godsend.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
any advice would be appreciated regarding transport to Pamplona

Hi BucketBabe, welcome to the forum! You could get the Alsa bus direct from Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 to Pamplona at 10:45 on Oct 3. There is one transfer in Soria but it’s straightforward. The bus arrives in Pamplona at 15:35.

https://www.alsa.com/en/web/bus/home

Jill

Already, some of the hostels are booked!
It is more likely that some are closing! Do not worry; there are a lot of albergues in Pamplona. Not all take reservations online. They may be open and have beds even if you do not find them on a booking application.

I'm sorting through how to get to Pamplona from the airport and still have some confusion that I thought I could sort out but I have concerns.
The train station is in T-4 terminal at the airport. You can buy tickets at its counter. You start with a train shuttle from the airport to the two train stations, and it is included in your Madrid to Pamplona fare. Trains have been known to fill up, so booking in advance is a good idea. Remember, if you miss your train, you may forfeit your fare. Allow at least an hour between collecting your baggage and catching the train from Atchoa. More time is better. You can sleep on the train.

I'm looking to take a day to acclimate.
Only you know if that is necessary for YOU. I like to hit the trail to acclimate. Walking in sunlight is one of the best ways to get over jet lag. Having crossed the Pyrenees several times, I prefer to start in Pamplona, so a short day is quite possible. If you are intent on the crossing, stop at Hunto or Orisson for a short day (a really short day for Hunto).

how long should I give myself to clear customs
You won't notice customs. There is the passport stamping and bag collection, but customs is pretty transparent and fast.

Buen camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will be travelling from Madrid to SJPdP after my wife flies home late September. I am going to take the train from Madrid Puerto de Atocha to Pamplona, spend the night in a hotel in Pamplona, and catch the first bus to SJPdP the next day. This allows me to spend an afternoon in Pamplona and SJPdP. I have done it before and it was easy peasy.

You might find this article "A beginner's guide to Train travel in Spain . . ." helpful. There is a Renfe and Alsa app available for download. The Renfe app was a little glitchy, but I managed to work through it. It might be easier for you to book your tickets online (computer), and then link them to your app.

¡Buen Camino!:D:cool:

Hi BucketBabe, welcome to the forum! You could get the Alsa bus direct from Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 to Pamplona at 10:45 on Oct 3. There is one transfer in Soria but it’s straightforward. The bus arrives in Pamplona at 15:35.

https://www.alsa.com/en/web/bus/home

Jill
Thanks so much. I bought the ticket for the bus and now just hoping that I am not delayed unnecessarily. I arrive at 9:05 so I hope this is enough time.

I will be travelling from Madrid to SJPdP after my wife flies home late September. I am going to take the train from Madrid Puerto de Atocha to Pamplona, spend the night in a hotel in Pamplona, and catch the first bus to SJPdP the next day. This allows me to spend an afternoon in Pamplona and SJPdP. I have done it before and it was easy peasy.

You might find this article "A beginner's guide to Train travel in Spain . . ." helpful. There is a Renfe and Alsa app available for download. The Renfe app was a little glitchy, but I managed to work through it. It might be easier for you to book your tickets online (computer), and then link them to your app.

¡Buen Camino!:D:cool:
Thanks! I just followed the advice on here and it was easy peasy!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Only you know if that is necessary for YOU. I like to hit the trail to acclimate. Walking in sunlight is one of the best ways to get over jet lag. Having crossed the Pyrenees several times, I prefer to start in Pamplona, so a short day is quite possible. If you are intent on the crossing, stop at Hunto or Orisson for a short day (a really short day for Hunto).
No truer words! I want to enjoy every day as much as possible including the first one so I will definitely take a day to enjoy Pamplona and hopefully walk around the city in sunlight...I don't know if it's ever in the cards to pass this way again.

You won't notice customs. There is the passport stamping and bag collection, but customs is pretty transparent and fast.

Buen camino!
Praying HARD this is true. I only have and hour and half to get to the bus :)

Overcrowding in Albergues will not be a problem in November--some seasonal closings will. The hospitalero will always know what is going on downstream. Shorter hours of walking daylight and more rain will also need to be part of your

Should have it wrapped up by the 7th of November, God willing, so I'm hoping that the closings won't affect me as I'll be at the end by then. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I checked again today and the hostels are booking up in October.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Take lightweight gloves and hat for chilly mornings.

Some albergues will be closed but you'll always find a bed.

Buen camino.

Take lightweight gloves and hat for chilly mornings.

Some albergues will be closed but you'll always find a bed.

Buen camino.
Thank you, I will! Going back and forth on the sleeping bag - lightweight quilt. I already have a silk liner. All treated with permethrin.

Wherever you are looking at 'fully booked hostels' you are seeing only the tip of the iceberg!! They only give a few to booking.com and not this far ahead. Go to Resources on this site and download 'All Albergues on CF" And the stages/elevation map "Profile Maps of all 34 stages". Both great resources for planning!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks so much. I bought the ticket for the bus and now just hoping that I am not delayed unnecessarily. I arrive at 9:05 so I hope this is enough time.

The Alsa ticket office is just inside the door where you get the bus. If you miss the bus, go to the ticket office. I have no experience of this (maybe others here have), but if the buses aren’t busy, perhaps a friendly clerk will allow you to get on the afternoon bus for no extra charge. No harm in trying anyway ;).
Jill

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back