• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Paris to SJPDP

barryg

Time of past OR future Camino
June: Camino Frances from Pamplona
Hello!

I found two routes to SJPDP from Paris on the Rome2Rio app:

One goes direct to SJPDP with a short bus ride to make the connection between two trains and the other goes through Bordeaux. Has anyone taken either of these trains? Can I get a recommendation on which route is the best? Thank you.

Warmly,

Barry

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
One goes direct to SJPDP with a short bus ride to make the connection between two trains and the other goes through Bordeaux.
All train journeys from Paris to SJPDP will go through Bordeaux unless you choose a very indirect route. I'm having trouble imagining what route would involve taking a bus between two trains. The most direct route from Paris would be a train to Bayonne then simply walk to another platform for the train to SJPDP. On the not-infrequent occasions when the TER train to SJPDP is not running there is usually a replacement bus from Bayonne station.

Last edited:
I've done the journey from Paris twice. First part was a highs speed train from Gare Montparnasse in Paris to Bayonne (passing through Bordeaux as @Bradypus mentioned) then transfer to a smaller train to SJPdP. No bus required. I recommend that you look on the official French train site SNCF Connect, or a site like TrainLine. Rome2Rio is great for getting a general idea of transportation options, but you need to go to the actual provider to see what's really available. You can even use Google Maps to find train times.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Based on my experience this week, take the itinerary where you can actually get a ticket.
I hope your travel plans are sorted now. 🤞 I do think the problem you encountered not being able to get on the TGV from Paris to Bordeaux on the 12th, posted on another thread, was due in large part to the Rugby World Cup matches in Bordeaux.

@barryg as suggested by @trecile , Trainline or SNCF Connect are best for train information and bookings. But I’d take a look as soon as you can. It’s an unusually busy time at present on certain routes in France, eg Paris to Bordeaux, due to the RWC. Also, tickets are often cheaper the farther in advance you book.

All the best with your plans. 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
On the not-infrequent occasions when the TER train to SJPDP is not running there is usually a replacement bus from Bayonne station.

pS @barryg in relation to this, just a tip with booking your train tickets.

I recommend booking your ticket from Paris to Bayonne, rather than all the way to SJPP. The reason is that if you book Paris to SJPP in the one booking, if the short train ride from Bayonne to SJPP is cancelled, as @Bradypus mentions, you may receive a message to say your whole trip has been cancelled, because it’s seen as one through journey. Others on the forum have had this happen.

You can book Bayonne to SJPP separately. It’s an hour’s journey and less than 10 euros. If it is cancelled there is almost always a replacement bus.

Hope that makes sense. All the best. 😎

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

I recommend booking your ticket from Paris to Bayonne, rather than all the way to SJPP. The reason is that if you book Paris to SJPP in the one booking, if the short train ride from Bayonne to SJPP is cancelled, as @Bradypus mentions, you may receive a message to say your whole trip has been cancelled, because it’s seen as one through journey. Others on the forum have had this happen.

You can book Bayonne to SJPP separately. It’s an hour’s journey and less than 10 euros. If it is cancelled there is almost always a replacement bus.

I'm booked St Malo all the way through to SJPdP - so hope this doesn't happen! I think I can cancel the SJPdP leg though as the booking shows it as 3 legs St M > Paris Paris > Bayonne Bayonne > St JPdP

SNCF website I found very easy to use, and the App is also very good and allows you to have your tickets electronically.

I'm booked St Malo all the way through to SJPdP - so hope this doesn't happen! I think I can cancel the SJPdP leg though as the booking shows it as 3 legs St M > Paris Paris > Bayonne Bayonne > St JPdP

SNCF website I found very easy to use, and the App is also very good and allows you to have your tickets electronically.
Hi Dave, Didn't wish to cause alarm with that tip about not booking the final leg to SJPP on the same ticket. It's just that it has happened to others on the forum, and we had similar issue a few years ago. All may be fine or you may be unlucky. If it happens, it's usually at short notice and can be a real hassle. All the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd recommend EasyJet from CDG to Biarritz, then Express Bouricot to St Jean. That will get you there much faster than the train if you schedule allows for the connection in CDG.

-Paul

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm having trouble imagining what route would involve taking a bus between two trains.
That happens when there's work on the railways, and as they are doing prep work for the TGV extension south from Bordeaux, such an intermediary bus on that line is likely to be an occasional occurrence for some years.

The soon-to-be restored Paris to Bayonne Night Train may occasionally not run at all from such disturbances.

All train journeys from Paris to SJPDP will go through Bordeaux unless you choose a very indirect route. I'm having trouble imagining what route would involve taking a bus between two trains. The most direct route from Paris would be a train to Bayonne then simply walk to another platform for the train to SJPDP. On the not-infrequent occasions when the TER train to SJPDP is not running there is usually a replacement bus from Bayonne station.
Hello Bradypus!

Yes, I now see the train to Bayonne. Thanks for pointing that out. The one I was referring goes from Degaulle to Denfert-Rochereau Metro where you catch a train to Montparnasse. The Bayonne route is just what I was looking for as I have tried transportation from both Madrid and Barcelona and found it tedious.

Barry

I hope your travel plans are sorted now. 🤞 I do think the problem you encountered not being able to get on the TGV from Paris to Bordeaux on the 12th, posted on another thread, was due in large part to the Rugby World Cup matches in Bordeaux.

@barryg as suggested by @trecile , Trainline or SNCF Connect are best for train information and bookings. But I’d take a look as soon as you can. It’s an unusually busy time at present on certain routes in France, eg Paris to Bordeaux, due to the RWC. Also, tickets are often cheaper the farther in advance you book.

All the best with your plans. 😎
Thank you for your reply. I will be going either in October or May, so the RWC shouldn't be a problem.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

It definitely makes sense and thanks for the warning.

Thank you for your response, davejsy!

I'd recommend EasyJet from CDG to Biarritz, then Express Bouricot to St Jean. That will get you there much faster than the train if you schedule allows for the connection in CDG.

-Paul
Thank you, Paul, but I specifically wanted a train ride.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you, Paul, but I specifically wanted a train ride.

There are much better routes that are more efficient and more scenic by train in Europe, such as London-Paris on Eurostar or the Glacier Express in Switzerland. I suggest that you opt for efficiency of the plane and save your train experience for another trip. Don't try to do everything in one trip!

-Paul

There are much better routes that are more efficient and more scenic by train in Europe, such as London-Paris on Eurostar or the Glacier Express in Switzerland. I suggest that you opt for efficiency of the plane and save your train experience for another trip. Don't try to do everything in one trip!
It's not just about the scenery. Many people prefer the train to flying to limit their carbon footprint.

It's not just about the scenery. Many people prefer the train to flying to limit their carbon footprint.

What about your nuclear waste footprint? The trains in France are powered by electricity generated from over 70% nuclear power. You are going to leave footprint somewhere!

-Paul

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I see i sparked a debate! But really guys, I’m just not partial to planes. I feel uneasy about flight safety, especially on US carriers. Thank you both for your replies.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back